Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone here have a lot of Bolt Action from various nations? Size question...  (Read 1261 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
I have been using bolt action arms from the various infantry sprues for conversions - they're immensely useful!

What I've found is that the sizes of arms and hands are not actually consistent. The Blitzkrieg German infantry arms work for larger figures, mostly men, whereas the regular British infantry are better for smaller models, mostly women (funny enough the British heads are larger than the German heads). Those are the main two I have, besides a couple weapon sprues which don't really give me a good indication.

As I need more arms and am fishing around for spares, I'm trying to figure out what alternatives are in similar sizes and what other infantry sprues I could try to obtain spares from. Could anyone compare the arms from various nations? Regular Germans vs Blitzkrieg, Russians, Americans, and so forth?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
The original kits, the Brits and the German are smaller (although I believe the LW German have been remastered).

The later kits blitzkrieg germans, Winter Russians, fallschrimjager, Japanese, marines all work fine together.

I have not used the US or summer Russians, but I believe that are the older 'smaller' style.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
US are a bit on the small size ... and US airborne are a bit on the Orangutan side ... long long arms ... and oversized weapons at least the BAR and the MG ...
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Many thanks guys!

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
The US marines are on the large side, while the Japanese infantry is tiny in comparison. As an example, the prone marines completely fill a 25x50 oval base and the prone Japanese fit with a little overhand on a 25mm round. This size difference applies to both metals and plastics. :o

regards, Bill

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Good to know.

Anyone know if the German Grenadiers are the newer, larger sort, or older, smaller ones? They have double sleeves which could be useful for figures wearing coats or suits.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
 There's not a huge difference between the arms of the Panzergrenadier & late war plastics, the PzG's are a tiny bit chunkier - though the hands are a bit more so. Here's some pics of the sprues, hope it's helpful (the LW on the left & the PzG's on the right).

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
Great, thanks!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
It depends on the sculptor, the old Paul Hicks stuff is noticeably smaller, while the newer stuff steadily creeps upwards, the new chindits are massive compared to the old ones.