Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:48:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (KICKSTARTER) Warforged: First Contact  (Read 1684 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
(KICKSTARTER) Warforged: First Contact
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
A new scifi/space-fantasy miniatures board game effort from Andy Chambers and (primarily, I assume) Tuomas Pirinen:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/275686604/warforged-first-contact-by-andy-chambers-and-tuoma

Resin minis with future gothic/knights in space aesthetic (for humans anyway), ca. 28mm scale. Boards build from dynamically allocated sections.

Not my cuppa but some folks might be interested in it I figure 8)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: (KICKSTARTER) Warforged: First Contact
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »
Some nice looking figures but why do the makers of sci-fi games insist on making figures with swords. There is a reason that our own soldiers haven't used swords for 100 years and that's because they have reliable long arms.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »
Some of the mech concept art is nice (I like mechs even though I understand the concepts of ground pressure and target area).

Swords just look heroic, but unless you have a reason why guns do not work (or like Into The Badlands they are a "forgotten" technology)...

I would tempted by the cyborg war elephant because it is silly.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:17:21 AM »
So... they funded and pulled it because it wasn't embraced as well as they hoped.

If that's the case... why didn't they set the funding goal higher?

Greed and pride... ???

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »
So... they funded and pulled it because it wasn't embraced as well as they hoped.

If that's the case... why didn't they set the funding goal higher?

Greed and pride... ???

Remember BtGoA KS? That's more likely why I suspect.

Read together with their statement and the most recent backer comments, I think this was a wise move.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:23 AM »
Well. Lots of projects set their funding targets very low so that they can get to smashing stretch goals early on. Nothing -- or very little -- speaks to the wallets of the kickstarting public like tons of smashed stretch goals that bring in

It's of course embarrassing when the "real hidden secret goal" is then not met with or seems unattainable and you have to cancel a funded project. It becomes a pain when it leads to "pledge trolling" to hitch up the income in order to make the project runners to commit to coughing up goals.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:30:26 PM by tnjrp »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 03:13:59 AM »
I admit I had some vague interest (if the minis were good - wasn't a fan of what I saw promoted though) but then I saw the silly little hexes...and realized it was a board game.  Rules by damned my interest dropped like a stone.  I had thought it was going to be a tabletop wargame.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:04:16 AM »
I admit I had some vague interest (if the minis were good - wasn't a fan of what I saw promoted though) but then I saw the silly little hexes...and realized it was a board game.  Rules by damned my interest dropped like a stone.  I had thought it was going to be a tabletop wargame.

That and I never back reset Kickstarters means I'm not going to give this a second glance, no matter who's behind it.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:40:04 AM »
I think it is cathartic when people start things believing that just because they are well known, their work is worth backing (no matter what it is) and then suddenly find out that they can't ride on the coat tails of their previous fame/success.

Beyond the Gates of Antares was the same (as previously mentioned).

A poor concept is still a poor concept, no matter how famous the instigator is.

It's kind of insulting to the punters.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
That's the biggest thing for me with Kickstarters and why I think they're great whether the company is established or not.  I don't even think they were just riding their own coat-tails, but rather maybe thought this would be grasped and people would be excited about it.  Obviously that's not.

Knowing the two names involved behind the game it's very likely they could have easily got a business loan from someone (with their game design credentials etc.) and put this out regardless...and it may well have flopped completely.  I hope they do a second take, maybe re-design or re-think some stuff - but I hope this is a financial flop/pitfall which was avoided because of the use of Kickstarter.  I think KS is not just a funding tool, but an excellent way to see how much genuine interest there is.  I'd imagine they also googled their own KS and checked all the forums they could, gathering feedback.

That's a good thing for them, even if the project never comes to fruition.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
Maybe I'm old-fashioned, or even just naive, but there is a section at the bottom of the front project page in every KS called "Risks and Challenges"; it strikes me that rather than filling this with the usual waffle about how you intend to deliver on time, a few short lines about using the KS to gauge public interest in the project might be both more appropriate and honest.

Using KS as tool to gauge interest in a project is completely fine and fair IMO, but sometimes you need to be more clear with your backers up-front so that people don't feel burned when a "funded" project is pulled by its creators before the deadline.

Afterall, the project creators are asking for trust of the pledgers in them and their project, so I don't think it's unreasonable to to expect the creators to show similar trust up-front in return as well.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 08:17:21 PM »
Oh, I agree...but when a project just squeaks by...I think pulling the carpet out is better than two years late with a bunch of broken promises and heart-ache for the pledgers. 

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »
Oh, I agree...but when a project just squeaks by...
Indeed those are the ones that'll make me strongly consider jumping ship in the future. The problem is that since the super secret real funding goal is unknown, it may be hard to tell if a project with a seemingly reasonable funding multiplier of, say, 2, is on the black or not. But I suppose it's the nature of the territory.