Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690825
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 758
Total: 764

Recent

Author Topic: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War  (Read 28446 times)

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
Re: Sigur goes South - The American Civil War
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Thanks for the great report, Sigur! It was a fun game and I indeed enjoyed the rules very much - you might get me converted to big battle games  ;)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
@von Lucky: :D I dearly hoped someone would point that out. Cheers.

@diflin: Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I also always replace the wobbly plastic poles with copper wire ones and keep the Perrys metal poles in their nifty little black boxes as well. Saves so much trouble. The thing is that, despite all the disadvantages 28mm minis mean in terms of space, storage (storage of terrain too!), transport, table size and so on, the Perrys ones are just so pretty and with everything you really need in plastic it's hard to resist. The ACW is a funny thing in so far that a few years ago I named it one of the few periods I have no interest in playing. Now it's my biggest historical 28mm collection. And my gaming accomplices virago and especially cpl.shandy are even more into it than I am.

@Breazer: :D Thanks, Sir. I still appreciate the comment.

@shandy: thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the game. I usually let people win the first time; makes it much easier to sell them on the rules. :p

virago (who did the umpiring and rule-looker-upping) supplied some more pictures of the game:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_06/longstreet_35440806321_o.jpg.a00bbf6124c7fbfe2113c4f8f255ba4b.jpg

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_06/longstreet_35532244216_o.jpg.a2c8f8fa0a7abb2f059bccdebc9d4b25.jpg

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_06/longstreet_35532248376_o.jpg.bfc1d822d5020142b46ce191ac46ea9a.jpg

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/uploads/monthly_2017_06/longstreet_35532251516_o.jpg.f5166e0b45036b312a30ad4a5afbe3f6.jpg

Hope you like them and I'm looking forward to the next game!

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
You definitely sold me on the rules! My AAR is now online and features some more images (made with my mobile, so not as nice as the ones Sigur has posted)
https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/learning-to-love-longstreet/

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
With rules this good they sell themselves. I call it 'passing on a betterment in life quality'.  8) That's the Mustafa guarantee.

o_o o_o o_o

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »
...Sigur had played a card which allowed him to place a piece of heavy going in front of my units, and we reasoned that the road had been swept away by heavy rain...

Whenever my opponent puts this card down... Aaaaargh! I want to eat my hat, my moustache, this card, whatever!  lol
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2017, 07:12:03 PM »
It is a rather interesting card, but my official army list (written by me) does allow for 1-3 lvl4 Voodoo priests... :p

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
First time looking at this thread.
All I can say is, WOW, love the figures,
so well painted."
Excellent battle reports.
Great terrain.
Semper Fi, Mac

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2017, 10:51:07 PM »
Thanks muchly, Marine0846!

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »

G'day, ladies and gentlemen!

Last Wednesday we had the annual pre-christmas meet-up of the historical wargamers to have a big old game set in the American Civil War. We chose the Black Powder rules (as a sort of lowest common denominator, in the best sense of the word ;) ). I hadn't played BP up to that night before, so it was a good occasion to dust off the rulebook and have a go.

We played a scenario from the Glory Hallelujah supplement. 3 big Confederate and 3 smaller Union brigades on the table; the rebels got a cavalry brigade as reserve at turn#4, the Union has a big brigade as reserve popping up from any table edge after turn#2. The Tabletop Wien West dudes were present, as always when it comes to historical wargaming and one after another the other usual suspects trickled in as well. I was late myself (because I'd met with a customer before that and we chatted.), so none of my minis made it on the table. The cool thing is that in our general area a lot of people have a LOT of 28mm ACW stuff.

On the other tables there was the usual club business (warmahordes, star wars armada, a bit of x-wing, a bit of 40k), but our ACW table of course was the big eye catcher.

The cool thing is that we tested Black Powder in the perfect BP-situation: multiplayer club game with the goal of getting a satisfying game in before the pub closes.

A few impressions:

The rebel army center

At the rebels' right flank brigade general Nikfu's Ne'er-do-Wells advance en masse.

The same situation from the other side of the table. Spoiler: it was quite a bloodbath. Also, look at that huge siege mortar in the back (at the centre of the table :O ).

The other end of the Union lines was held (at that point) by Cpt.Shandy and his slightly understaffed brigade.

Due to me basically just standing around I got to command the 4th union brigade. The one that was supposed to pop up as reserve and save the day. Prestigious!

A picture of what my brigade would have looked like:

Everything's there: 4 regiments of infantry, a battery of 6 guns and even a small squadron of cavalry!

A picture of the hill I should have stormed across to help out Cpt.Shandy at his flank and unto glory:

A visual representation of what actually happened on the table:

For 2 turns after my brigade was to show up I messed up command rolls, so until the end of the game not a single one of my units showed up. To be fair, James' centre command of the rebels' army did barely a thing all game long either. That's Black Powder and this is why we love it. :)

The Union's commander in chief observing the problematic situation at his left while Cpt.Shandy's flank to his right is about to collapse. Oh, and the reserve (see above) decided not to show up at all!  The things commanders have to put up with...

In the end Virago's rebel cavalry brigade popped up, stormed up a hill, destroyed the Union's artillery battery  and sealed the fate of Cpt.Shandy's flank. At that point it was time to call it a night and pronounce the Confederates the victors!

Black Powder is good, good fun and works perfect for such multi-player games. Sure, it's written specifically for the table the Perrys have. No idea how people play this game with 28mm figures of all things on 6' by 4' tables. I just can't see it making a lot of sense.

Either way, good game, fun times, fast and fun.

Lateron I spent all my penned up energy (after not getting to do anything on the table) to finish painting and basing the last few dismounted rebel cavalrymen (Sash&Saber miniatures) and the civilian lady (Redoubt)!

Initially I wasn't a huge fan of going blue with the umbrella, but some people suggested it online. And I have to say that you were right. Looks very pleasing I think.

Hope you like them!

Oh, and in January we'll do a big Longstreet demo too. Just to check out how that works with multiplayer games. Because in a regular 1-on-1 it surely is the rules of my choice for ACW battles.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
Good looking game - lots of eye candy (even if it's not all there ;)). And the blue on the umbrella does look good - the white highlight makes it look like the parasol it's supposed to be.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
Oooh! Very lively these dismounted rebs, first rate paintjob! And the lady is gorgeous! Cheers!

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Great report! Although you really should have come to my rescue...  :)

It was a fun evening, I'm looking forward to the big Longstreet game, I didn't even know it could be played with multiple players.

Offline Gargobot

• Librarian
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
[...]the rebels got a cavalry brigade as reserve[...]
Surely you mean the Defenders against Northern Aggression? ;)
Good battle rep, shame you didn't actually get to play. But your side won, so all is well that ends well.
Great club you guys have over there btw, surely with a Blood Bowl banner on the wall this must be a gathering of only the finest gentlemen.  :D

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »
@von Lucky: Thanks very much!

@DintheDin: Cheers, Sir! Much appreciated.

@shandy: :D Well, I tried my best to roll not entirely useless results but it seems like my dicing hand is Southern at heart! :P (which is a weird anatomical concept in itself).

@Gargobot: That goes without saying. ;) Bloodbowl still is quite a thing at the club I think. They also got a Hall of Fame and all.

Heya, I'm back!

I had a game of Kugelhagel! (German; meaning somehting like "Hail of Bullets", companion set of rules to Steinhagel ["Hail of Rocks"], released in 2014)

Maybe you read about the Tabletop Wien West guys in my show reports and elsewhere. For the past few years they've been very active in promoting these two sets of rules from Germany. The fact alone that there is an original German-language set of historical wargames rules is remarkable in itself. There are a few German fantasy sets of rules, but historicals have been very much out of fashion since... well, 1945 really. At the very latest with the generation raised by the 1968 folks. There is a whooole lot to say about wargaming in German-speaking areas, but I'll spare you my weird theories.

So - Kugelhagel!

In the past few years the guys of the Tabletop Wien West club/gaming group have been really active in terms of demo'ing this rules set. Their chosen period, from the timespan Kugelhagel covers, the 19th century, is the American Civil War in 28mm. Last Friday GandAlf of Tabletop Wien West invited Cpt.Shandy, Martin and me to the club to introduce us to the rules first hand. Each of us 4 players got a brigade of 3 infantry regiments, a regiment of skirmishers, and an artillery battery of two guns. No specific special rules, terrain was basically just for looks, pitched battle; very basic setup so we get a good grasp of the core rules.

I managed to take a little peek at the rulebook and the newly released ACW supplement book. A4 size, full colour, many nice photographs (of 28mm minis of course, because it's 2018 and 28mm is the only thing deemed sexy) and diagrams.

In the back left we got GandAlf who, along with me, commanded the Union army while Martin (bottom right) was my direct opposite on the Confederates' side and Cpt.Shandy's brigade was to face off against GandAlf's.

Here you can see my magnificent little brigade march towards the enemy at full speed:

My cunning plan was to trust in my men (= luck at drawing activation cards) and quickly hit the enemy lines with my line infantry. And hard, at that. Before my opponent was able to get all his stuff on the table. Try to exploit my numerical superiority while I got it. What helped my in that was that Martin brought his artillery on the table early on, but set it up (quite wisely) right next to Cpt.Shandy's artillery in the centre to form a central big battery. They aimed it at the bigger threat of the much more experienced GandAlf rather than my brigade, which made me work out that cunning plan of rushing ahead before the cannons get swiveled in my direction.

A quick rules overview: In the photos you can see some playing cards (all suits; of each 7, 8, 9, 10, Ace). Each brigade in play is represented by a suit of cards. My brigade was the Spades, GandAlf's was Clubs, Cpt.Shandy's brigade was heats, Martin's brigade was diamonds. At the beginning of each turn the deck is shuffled and the cards get turned up one after another. A 7 or 8 means the player may activate a unit and carry out one action, a 9 and 10 means two actions, and an ace means the activated unit may carry out a whopping three actions.

Example: So my brigade is represented by Spades. Let's say an 8 of Spades is drawn. This means I may activate a unit (= 1 regiment of infantry, battery of artillery, or squadron of cavalry) and it may carry out one action. If the card had been a 9, a unit of my choice may have carried out two actions.

Actions usually are movement, change of formation, or Rally a unit (= basically healing one point of damage, but the unit may not do anything else in this activation). Morale damage and physical damage are rolled into the concept of these Fatigue damage points, as in so many modern battle games. Shooting happens automatically as soon as you get in range. So to go back to the example above, my unit, having been activated with an 8 of Spades (allowing for one action) may use this action to move once. This gets them into musket range to an enemy unit, thus my unit fires at the end of their activation. This doesn't cost an action; they do it on their own initiative.

A very pretty turn counter.

That's a pretty fast, clear and fun activation system. I'm a big fan of card activation in general (or drawing chips from a bag, if you prefer that. It's the same thing in the end.), because you can do a LOT of clever stuff with that kind of activation to throw in factors like scenarios, one side being well or badly led, in especially good or bad shape and so on. In addition to this Kugelhagel allows for units to be activated twice per turn. This means that sometimes you'll forfeit to activate on a card which gives you only fewer actions and trust to get a card that allows you to do more, whereas especially later in the game it becomes very important to activate faster, even if you get fewer actions. Which is a very nice poker-like element. In general the game gives the players a lot of decisions to make. Each turn lasts until either all cards have been turned up. This makes activation still slightly random, but ultimately a bit more predictable than other fog of war systems.

On the left flank things were a bit less rushed and played out more traditionally as both sides advanced in line:

Then something odd happened at my right flank. By some very inventive (but legal, according to the rules) maneuvering I managed to get two combined regiments in position to charge my opponents' two combined regiments in the back.

THEN my opponent brought his third regiment on the table who immediately charged my two regiments in the back. To round it all off I sent my third regiment in to charge the front of the whole thing. What followed was a big old kerfuffle with an odd setup. I drew up a diagram to make it more clear (but no less odd).

On a more realistic level it probably looked more like this:

My opponent and I rolled dice for two turns. In the end his three regiments were either stomped or driven off the table swiftly. There is no casualty removal in Kugelhagel, by the way. Each unit may accumulate up to three points of Exhaustion/Fatigue (that combined concept of losses, fatigue and morale). On top of that shooting may cause Disorder (the next activaiton of that unit has to be used to bring order into the ranks again).

If more than half a brigade's units (artillery and skirmishers don't count for that) are killed or shoo'd off the table the brigade counts as Broken, Deleted, Made Obsolete, call it what you will. This means that remaining units of that brigade may pretty much do nothing any more for the rest of the game. They may sit in place and shoot if opponents are in range and they may retire towards their table edge, but that's it.

In our game my direct opponent's brigade was broken; all he had left was his skirmishers and his artillery (still aimed at my ally's brigade and firing at it). My regiments were still standing, but two had taken quite some damage. Then my opponent's horrible skirmishers started taking shots at them, managed to cause two more points of Exhaustion/Fatigue, and thus my brigade was broken as well! Still standing, but too exhausted to push on. So us two on the right flank had managed to neutralize each other's brigade in record time. :D Because I had whipped my infantry to the front at fast past pace I hadn't had any activations to get my artillery and skirmishers anywhere, so they were still basically sitting at my table edge with no chance to get any enemies into range (or to unlimber in the artillery's case). All I had left to do was to retreat my infantry in order as to avoid additional casualties by the hands of these weirdly capable skirmishers. In a last effort they had managed to turn the tide on a seemingly lost cause (or flank). However, my opponent Martin didn't have many options left either. His artillery kept on firing at my ally's units, but that was about it. Otherwise our half of the gaming table got very, very quiet and we got us drinks.

"About turn, march!" (in the back you can see the nasty skirmishers and my opponent's artillery)

After a struggle my ally managed to get the upper hand on the left flank and drove off the rest of the Confederates. The day was won by experience and the Union army!

So what is my first impression of Kugelhagel?

The game feels very much like Black Powder. The approach to many concepts clearly were inspired by Black Powder, especially how damage is handled, the morale rule sin general, Disorder, movement (more on this later).

What I like most is the activation system. It's fast, it gives the players decisions to make, and it's less all-or-nothing than in Black Powder. The rulebook also has rules for using blinds (= "hidden deployment/movement", recon and such and includes dummy blinds I presume), which makes everything more historically sound and more interesting.

My main point of criticism from the game that we played is the movement. For battles in the 19th century movement is MUCH too free-form I think. This isn't just in terms of infantry (who may move around extremely flexibly even in unison with another attached regiment). Artillery also felt extremely fast and free-flowing. Limbering up and down is so fast that our ACW artillery behaved more like horse artillery or mechanized assault guns. With three actions you may limber up, move, unlimber and then fire, all in the same activation. That was a bit wild. The movement rules certainly require the application of some common sense.

Apart from that the game is very playable and a lot of fun with the right people (always a prerequisite). And we had a lot of fun that evening. I probably won't run out and buy the rules now. I have too many other ACW rules sets (most of all Longstreet). However, I think that especially in a club or multiplayer enviroment Kugelhagel has a lot of potential. It's a not too heavy, well-flowing game in which there are few down times and lots of decisions to make. Perfectly fine.

After this game I was in the mood to do something for my own collection of ACW figures (Confederates; you might remember them). In the past games of Kugelhagel and a scenario playtest game of Sharp Practice I'd played Union all the time, so I felt bad for my rebels. :P Another reason for this: On the 14th of April we'll do a Gettysburg Games Day at the club, showcasing and demo'ing snippets of the famous battle on various tables, across all scales, tactical levels and several different sets of rules. My friend Virago and I will demo Longstreet of course and do a first-day-noon-northern-part-of-the-front kind of thing.

So I had a look at what I still had unpainted. This led to a weird, sneaking act of mitosis. A while back I decided to paint up a regular 6 bases unit of the then new-ish Confederate plastics:

...then, late in 2017, signs were on us playing a Longstreet campaign, requiring some infantry regiments of 10 bases each, so I 'bigged it up'. No big deal, just add four more bases, right? Just 16 dudes.

...then, on Saturday, I realized I still had just enough figures to make up another command base and another base of regular infantrymen, so I turned the second rank (or 3rd and 4th, if you will) into another unit of 6 bases!

To round it all off, I took a photo of all my ACW rebel infantry (sans skirmishers) at this point in time:

Hope you like them! :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
...Hope you like them! :)

Yes, we do very much!  :-*
It's great to see you caming back in this so exciting period!
Kugelhagel sounds very interesting, very nice report!
Are the rules available in English?