Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming the Zombie Apocalypse - Painting, Building and Playing  (Read 2549 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Gaming the Zombie Apocalypse - Painting, Building and Playing
« on: September 23, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Hello All!

I have been dwelling on the idea for a year or so to begin a modern day Zombie Apocalypse game, modelling and painting project...... well I have taken the plunge and am having a lot of fun!

At present I have chosen the Zombies exclusively from Studio Miniatures, amazing sculpts with so much character and detail! The survivors, good and bad, are being supplied by Hasslefree Miniatures. For the buildings I will be using World Work Games (referred to as WWG from now on!) which I have printed out on Brilliant White 160gsm card and then mounted onto 3mm Foamcore, the buildings and roads will be magnetised for ease of tearing up and down and storage (and to stop the Wife complaining about mess.....  ;) ). All the city scatter, furniture etc will be sourced from various places, I have already begun a thread about places to get all those cool bits and pieces in this forum (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=104011.0). I have a batch of 3D printed pieces on route so I'll get those posted here as soon as I can.

For now here's the first models I have painted for the project:

As said, all the Zombies are Studio Miniatures as is the Skip and the Bin on the base of the large chap.

I hope you like the first installment and stay tuned for what is going to be an entertaining journey into the Zombie Apocalypse!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:12:01 PM by King Arthur »
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gaming the Zombie Apocalypse - Painting, Building and Playing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
Access denied on the picture link.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »
Access denied on the picture link.

I'm not sure what you mean? The picture is embedded into the thread? I can see it when I read the thread as a 'Guest' and when logged in on my laptop, and iPhone, so I'm not to certain what the issue you're having is? Do you see a picture at all in the thread?

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
King Arthur,

Thanks for the update. Looks really good.
And also, a big plus for tells us what figures and buildings you are using!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:43:06 PM »
A promising start - nice work on these zombies (including their bases).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »
A big part of the game system I'm planning will be the exploration of interiors, scavenging for supplies, food, meds, water etc will play a big factor, so bearing this is in mind, I ordered some pieces from Shapeways to test an apartment set up, here's the 3D printed furniture:

They are all 1:48 scale which fits nicely with the Studio Miniatures pieces. Overall I'm very happy with the products, it's quite difficult to find modern furniture in 1:48 scale as most tends to be vintage or Victorian built for Dolls Houses.

My favourite pieces are the shopping trolleys! The scene in 28 Days Later when they enter the Tower Block made me buy them! Going to build my own shopping trolley barricade to keep out the dead!

I'm almost finished the next 4 Zombie models and after that I'll start painting this furniture  :)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 10:53:07 PM »
Love the shopping trolleys too (there's also that scene in episode 13, season 7 of 'The Walking Dead').

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
As I will be using some WWG card buildings, I was looking into how to make the overall set up look more like a City, the WWG stuff is beautiful but it's also very 'clean' so I have been looking at complimenting their pieces with some bits I've been working on. As said in the opening post the setting will be Germany for my Apocalypse and I have been inspired by the Graffiti scene in Berlin, so I have started to put together wall pieces based upon that:

The yellow line in the picture will not be there on the print out, it measures 32mm which is about the mean average height of my Studio Miniatures Zombies, so I used it for scale. If I use this piece I will look at adding some weathering etc to the posters, but the overall look is quite nice.

I measured the wall piece from the WWG Abandoned set and it's 14cm x 19.5 so that's what this wall piece is too. I think the bricks would need some scaling  work done but this is just the 1st initial idea.

How big would you say in real life would an Info/Warning/Quarantine Poster be? Then I can scale it down to 1:48 better.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Here's some close up pics of the individual Zombies and their bases, perhaps some of our German members recognise some of the packaging brands.....

I've completed 4 more and have begun work on another 2 plus the TV with stand, so I'll post further pictures soon.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »
Very nice.
I love those shopping carts. Do you have a link for those.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »
Very nice.
I love those shopping carts. Do you have a link for those.

They are from Shapeways - 3D printed:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/69P3CTUUY/5-x-miniature-shopping-trolleys?optionId=57442503

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:56:09 AM »
I've been experimenting with some box designs to populate the gaming table, either as objectives or to decorate certain buildings. Here we have a Bio Hazard, MRE and 'Erste Hilfe' (First Aid) and a Zombie for scale:

The First Aid box isn't intended to be the scale for the small ones you find in offices etc it was designed with the intent of a medical air drop or something along those lines, a survival pack dropped by the military for example for survivors or other military units on the ground.

I had lots of fun making them!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »
I'm now in the prep phase for my first ever WWG build! This is the plan for the entrance and the ground floor apartment:

All the furniture pieces are 3D printed from Shapeways, either classified as 1:48 or O Scale, one comment I would make is that you need to imagine the models minus their bases, the bases make all the furniture look small, but if you compare just the model against the furniture then it's OK, the only piece I'd say that is too small is the bed; length wise its fine but it's too narrow for a double bed. I will magnetise all the walls for ease of storage.

This apartment block looks more like Studio Apartments, I didn't want to start too big for my first attempt, so for future living quarters I'll expand the area to 4 squares instead of the 2 seen here.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
Looks good. How high are your walls? (It looks like it might be a bit fiddly in moving miniatures around in the hallway, etc.)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07:30 AM »
Nice job.

Did you get a size for the posters?