Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:01:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692916
  • Total Topics: 118494
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Couple of SAGA2 Questions  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
A Couple of SAGA2 Questions
« on: March 10, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
I have not purchased the new edition of SAGA, as I am still not sure if I want to,
but I have a couple of questions for you gents who already got it:

Regarding cavalry:

In SAGA1 I have always regarded the nerfing down of cavalry Armour against shooting
as being balanced out by the cavalry's higher speed - allowing the cavalry to close faster and
easier exploit enemy formations in order to minimize the number of enemies fighting back
- BUT as I understand it, this is no longer possible, as all models in a unit fight, regardless
of distance to the nearest enemy?

As there is no 'charge bonus' as such in SAGA (there are some abilities usable only by
mounted units, but none (at least in SAGA1) that require the unit to be the unit initiating
the melee) - WHAT is the reward for fielding mounted units in SAGA2??

Regarding the 'free move':

I understand that units far from the enemy can make a free move activation, but how exactly
does that work?
What distance does a unit have to be away from nearest enemy to activate?
How close is the moving unit allowed to move to the enemy with that free move?
Are there some other restrictions?

I suppose the free movement enables for instance cavalry to 'flank march' with even greater
ease than in SAGA1, but as there is no bonus for attacking in flank/rear, I do not see much
sense in doing so (unless a scenario calls for reaching objectives deep in the table)?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: A Couple of SAGA2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »
Having just read the rules:

Cavalry are considerably more mobile. Units now move M in straight lines, Cavalry can move L in a straight line, or M twice in order to wheel and turn. That means they can move around things. Bonuses for charging come down to your battle board, rather then core rules. Javelins are stronger on the charge, and a lot of cavalry have them.

Free moves are called manouvers. A unit can only make them as their first activation every turn, they have to be outside L (12") from the enemy, and can never move within L of an enemy during the move. Cavalry look like they can make great use of the manouver rule to get into flanking positions on the battle field. This should mostly be a case of being able to pick which enemy units they fight.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 05:34:59 PM »
I would add to what Ogrob has said some considerations:

- Cavalry is now more maneuverable than before.
- Javelin and composite bow armed mounted units are very flexible and dangerous, particularly when combined with battleboards abilities. For instance, in the Norman battleboard allows you to activate all your mounted units interrupting enemy activation. If armed with javelins and well placed in the tabletop, you can wait until the last activation of your opponent, then activate your mounted units up to M; use your free shot -shooting with javelins or composite bows can be activated as free activations that don't generate fatigue- and then, in your turn, move out of charge enemy range. Byzantines can use similar tactics with their composite bow armed mounted Hearthguard.

What you need to keep in mind though is that mounted units will work better in armies that were, historically, strong in cavalry -Byzantines, Normans and Carolingians-, as their battleboards will reward tactics better fit to mounted units.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:48:30 AM »
Regarding the absence of a charge bonus in SAGA. I'm an impatient player, and most often the enemy that I want to engage is beyond M of my unit. When I use infantry, I often start the fight with a fatigue from my double move, so the cavalry bonus for me is not having that stupid fatigue token.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »
Thanks.

Gives me some ideas about the new edition.

As an afterthought, I think I read somewhere that mounted troops no longer suffer the -1 Armour against shooting, is that right?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:22:23 AM »
Thanks.

Gives me some ideas about the new edition.

As an afterthought, I think I read somewhere that mounted troops no longer suffer the -1 Armour against shooting, is that right?

No, they do, but it is part of their stats now.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »
No, they do, but it is part of their stats now.

OK, thanks.