Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: sondermann's Mansions of Madness | [04/22/18 - deep ones]  (Read 5013 times)

Offline sondermann

• Assistant
    • Sondermann's Blog
sondermann's Mansions of Madness | [04/22/18 - deep ones]
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
I got Mansions of Madness, 2nd Edition (the one with the app) last christmas. I already had the 1st edition of the game but the cumbersome set-up lead to the game collecting dust on the shelf. The app changed that and I decided to paint up my first board game. Yay!

But I cannot bring myself to paint multiples of the same miniature and I'm not to keen on the material of the included minis, so I scoured various manufactures to find replacements for the figures in the game. I now have everything I need for the 2nd edition core game and am busy painting up my proxies. Currently, about two-thirds of the figures came intro contact with my brush and I wanted to share my results with the fine people on this forum.

Here's the stuff, that's included in the game:

PCs*
Wendy Adams (Orphan)
Agatha Crane (Parapsychologist)
Preston Fairmont (Millionaire)
Pater Mateo (Priest)
Minh Thi Phan (Secretary)
Carson Sinclair (Butler)
Wiliam Yorick (Undertaker)
Rita Young (Athlete)
*I have the German version, so the titles are guesstimates only.

Monsters
Starspawn of Cthulhu (2x)
Hunting Horror (2x)
Cutist (6x)
Priest of Dagon (1x)
Hybrids (4x)
Child of Dagon (1x)
Deep One (4x)
Angry Mob (2x3)
Ghost (2x)

Bases: The official bases are atrocious and unnecessary. Therefore all my figures go onto clear acrylic bases.

During the next few weeks I will post the various critters and investigators. My goal is to have the game complete 'til mid-may, when I will present the game at a private convention. Mind you I only recently got back into painting after a ten year hiatus, so don't expect to see stellar paintjobs. Needless to say, critique, comments and questions are highly welcome.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:51:13 PM by sondermann »

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: sondermann's Mansions of Madness | [04/18/18 - project overview]
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
I also rebased my 1st edition MoM miniatures, the clunky ones provided are really a joke, just becasue they had to fit the stat counter in there which might as well lie next to it, given that there are very few monsters on the board at any one moment.

Offline sondermann

• Assistant
    • Sondermann's Blog
Ghosts
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:45:23 PM »
First up, here are the two Ghosts.

They are Reaper Miniatures' Spirits (REA03298) by Jason Wiebe. One of them is also available as a translucent Bones version (REA77098). Besides haunting the investigators in MoM they will also serve as Poltergeists in Strange Aeons and as Spectres in Frostgrave.

Painting was a breeze, as they are basically just primed white and then treated a liberal wash of Vallejo's Verdigris (VGC096) and some green and black washes. Only the skelettal parts were painted in Bonewhite (VGC034) prior to the washing. They are much paler in person than the image makes them appear to be, so the bones actually look bonier than the rest.

This is the official ghost. I like the sculpt and would have used it, had I found a similar, second miniature.

BTW I will soon™ put the unused figures up on the bazaar (and ebay). PMs welcome.

Offline sondermann

• Assistant
    • Sondermann's Blog
Child of Dagon
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »
Child of Dagon

This is the Child of Dagon included in the game. To my chagrin, I didn't find any sculpting credits. Obviously, I like the sculpt, even if it is a bit bland. I would have thought that someone blessed by Dagon would be fishier. Still I haven't played a scenario that includes him, so maybe the lore will enlighten me on his appearance. I'm also curious what the sceptre/shuffleboard cue might be. Oh, and for a human-sized monster he's rather big (he's on a 30mm base, while the sprits of yesterday are on 25mms).  Next up are his hybrid cousins.

Offline sondermann

• Assistant
    • Sondermann's Blog
Hybrids
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 11:33:27 PM »
Hybrids

For my hybrids, I went with Black Cat Bases' Fisherman with crowbar (bcbfmcb1), Deep one hyrbid with cleaver (bcbdohap1), Deep one hybrid with club (bcblsdohbc1) and Deep One Hybrid with a chain (bcbdohwcl1). Again no sculpting credits.

I was hesitant to order from them, given the way their homepage looks (don't get me started) and some sketchy behaviour in the past; but I can't complain. The miniatures arrived in an acceptable amount of time (IIRC 5 weeks) and the casting quality is good.

And this is the official miniature. I don't like him. I think it's his arms. 

Offline sondermann

• Assistant
    • Sondermann's Blog
Deep Ones
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
Tonight ... Deep Ones

Here we have Wyrd Miniatures' old Silurid Slaves (WYR4008) and one of the Deep Ones from MoM.

I initially painted no. 4 for my first foray into Strange Aeons (as seen here). I'm very pleased that the MoM Deep One, while skinnier then the old Malifaux models, fits the style of the Wyrd ones.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Re: sondermann's Mansions of Madness | [04/22/18 - deep ones]
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Very good work on the hybrids and deep ones.  I have quite a few nautical miniatures too but there aren't a whole lot of suitable degenerate hybrid types out there.  You kinda have to pick and choose here and there among various ranges to get a suitable force.   

Those Deep Ones by Malifaux are well done too.  I saw the Reaper recently released a couple sets of Deep Ones in their Bones line too.

Nice.
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline Andreas Johansson

• Assistant
Re: sondermann's Mansions of Madness | [04/22/18 - deep ones]
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »
Many of the MoM minis are fairly sad. I like your replacements this far.  :)