Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:32:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Centralian Sector; Inquisitiorial forces... RMM's project log.  (Read 3423 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Centralian Sector; Inquisitiorial forces... RMM's project log.
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
Good afternoon all, well after ANOTHER long spell away because of depression, as part of the recovery my therapist wants me to try and get more involved with groups that I would enjoy, so what better than a group dedicated to modelling, painting and gaming?

Ok so for a good few years I have been collecting miniatures to make an Inquisitor lord, his retinue and the elements he can call upon to fight alongside him when needed.
They are set in my own sector so I have free reign over the entire thing.
The main planet is Centralia, so the Centralian sector seemed apt for the name, although that could change.

So onto the idea in a bit more flesh.
The lord inquisitor will have a retinue of about 30 or followers as well as two inquisitors he has taught, both of which will have about 15 followers.
Then there will be the planetary defence forces of Centralia, controlled by the planet's governor-esque type person. not quite sure here yet.

Anyway lastly for this post is that the first up will oddly be two tanks I am working on, one is an alternative Leman Russ as I HATE the high sides of the standard, to me it doesn't look right. And then also a chimera alternative, because I stole the sides of the chimera for the Leman Russ haha.

Photos will come later today as well as a proper description all being well.
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Re: Centralian Sector; Inquisitiorial forces... RMM's project log.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 01:23:25 PM »
Ok so photos added and ready soooooo here goes.

Since getting back into hobbying, I thought I need to go back to a nice slow project that I can do which is varied AND a slow burner. So what better than my Inquisitorial retinue project from years ago?

First up is the tanks. Now Ive never been fully happy with the Chimera so I thought about taking the turret further back.
I started strong and took apart what I needed to get the upper body panel off to cut it back.

I then made the first cuts.

This was the resulting test piece.

It was here that I remembered about my Leman Russ and how Ive never been happy with the shape of that tank and so thought "hey why not mix the two and see what happens" and so this happened.....

A bit nerve racking as I didnt know if I had just ruined 50 pounds worth of tanks haha, but I pushed on and came up with this idea for a command chimera type, to have a command squad in rather than the full 12 it can carry.

I am however not a fan of this as much as I thought I may have been, thankfully I had not glued it at this stage. SO back to the drawing board with this tank. Any suggestions welcome though.

And this, the one I am REALLY happy with. The Leman Russ, using Chimera sides but the body and the turret are the Leman Russ.

I do like how fun this has been so far and I believe once I have done some more of the current owned miniatures, I can add more tanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:26:34 PM by matthais-mouse »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 05:28:22 PM »
Welcome back - it's good to see you again. I really like the Leman Russ variant too - looks "real". The command Chimera - yeah, don't like it. Maybe switch left and right set back again, or (and this will be some work) cut them down to match what they replaced - so the profile is shorter. Make sense?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
Welcome back - it's good to see you again. I really like the Leman Russ variant too - looks "real". The command Chimera - yeah, don't like it. Maybe switch left and right set back again, or (and this will be some work) cut them down to match what they replaced - so the profile is shorter. Make sense?

Certainly feels more real with the Russ, It was always what put me off them, however I could certainly do a couple more like this. Although Im bummed I can have my sponson heavy bolters though haha. Well I could in theory but not a fan, prefer it as is.

You have the same issue with which I do haha, It looks wrong.
Ill try reverse it and then am also going to try reverse it as well as without the tropp space being covered. like a salamander variant almost.
I think I can make sense of the second suggestion.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Hey, I think it's great to see you back in the community!

Love the Leman Russ, the Chimera looks wierd, though. A bit too much Land Raider-feeling at the moment.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 07:55:34 PM »
I like the Russ the Chimera not so much it looks to tall. Don't know how adverse you are to third part bits but Ramshackle games have lots of different vehicle bits in resin including tracks and wheels they might have some good stuff as alternatives for your Chimera

shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_category=39&controller=category

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:11:17 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
I too like the Russ. it is like a T23 version.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T20_Medium_Tank

The track arrangement on the Chimera makes no sense.

Who is it that had those Rhino variants with (I think) Russ tracks?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
I too like the Russ. it is like a T23 version.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/T20_Medium_Tank

The track arrangement on the Chimera makes no sense.

Who is it that had those Rhino variants with (I think) Russ tracks?

Elbows I think

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=89784.285

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
I like the Russ the Chimera not so much it looks to tall. Don't know how adverse you are to third part bits but Ramshackle games have lots of different vehicle bits in resin including tracks and wheels they might have some good stuff as alternatives for your Chimera

shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?id_category=39&controller=category

Not adverse at all, I dont play in GW so will be able to whip them out whenever, plus i do like some of the other things out there so i shall have a look.

It really is horrible, the more i think about it the more I want to reverse it to normal and scrap the idea of troop transport to open top command deck type vehicle. still not a fan of the height though.

The Rhino conversions mentioned do appeal to me though so that is also an option as I have a rhino lying around somewhere...
IN FACT!!! I have a Rhino and a Predator which I wanted to do true-scale, sooooooo I could do the predator with the Leman Russ tracks sides and do a true-scale Rhino with both sets of tracks and sides?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:44:05 PM by matthais-mouse »

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »
That is the one.

Im certainly sold on the idea.
Especially as I have the parts to hand to make a start tonight, which could mean I have a few tanks to paint before this year ends.

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »
As others have said, I like the 'Russ, not so much the Chimera.  Another option for the Chimera could be using one of the various wheeled conversion kits out there...?
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
As others have said, I like the 'Russ, not so much the Chimera.  Another option for the Chimera could be using one of the various wheeled conversion kits out there...?
Courtesy of Wyrmalia.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 03:59:26 PM »
I had not thought about the wheeled version.
With my current route down the Russ sides being used to convert a Predator, I would have the bulk of the Chimera ready to make a wheeled version so I shall have to have a look into the kits out there and see what I think.

At this rate none of my tanks will be the actual prescribed version  lol

So here is progress on the alternative Predator. It will be Imperial Fists Yellow all being well.
Im not sure on whether to have the turret at the front (standard) or rear of the tank if that makes sense by the look of it.
Front

Rear

Open to ideas, but holding off at the moment until Tuesday when I have done some painting tonight/tomorrow.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
I'm liking that - preference for "front".

Next up, a Chimera with Rhino tracks?! :D