Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules  (Read 113720 times)

Offline surdu

• Librarian
Re: Rules
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
The trick is putting together even forces especially with the different fantastic weapons people come up with. I think the points system in Gaslight needs a bit of work. It can also be difficult finding the right section of the rules you are looking for, flicking back and forth between each book. I hope this will be resolved with the upcoming compendium which hopefully will include an index.
Yes, the concious decision not to provide a background story made it difficult for us to provide Army lists.  We agree that the point system needed some rework, and you'll see it improved (we think) in the upcoming Compendium release (see www.bucksurdu.com/blog and http://www.bucksurdu.com/Buck_Surdu/G.A.S.L.I.G.H.T..html for more information).  We don't play with competitive points in our club games, so the revised point system is really just to give you rough play balance.

The new book as a full index, which we think will make it easier to find what you want.  In fact, the fact that there were four books and that players want to pick and choose things from all four, was part of the reason we embarked on the Compendium journey.

Buck

Offline General greenman

• Schoolboy
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2011, 04:38:56 PM »
I am in the process of developing a 10mm game set in a vaguely steam plunk Victorian world - any ideas for a set of rules which could de developed for solo gameing . I dont mind as to whether these are free or purchaseable . How do people rate the Lone warrior

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »
I am in the process of developing a 10mm game set in a vaguely steam plunk Victorian world - any ideas for a set of rules which could de developed for solo gameing . I dont mind as to whether these are free or purchaseable . How do people rate the Lone warrior
We are beginning to adapt Look, Sarge, No Charts: American Civil War for VSF.  These rules are written for 10mm figures and large, large battles.  We may be looking for playtesters.  I can't speak to solo play, but perhaps some solo play mechanics could be laid on top of them.  Because of the activation mechanism in LSNC rules, I think they would work well for solo play.

Buck

Offline General greenman

• Schoolboy
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2011, 12:22:23 AM »
Hi Buck

This sounds very intereseting . prehaps I could look at a solo mechanics system if this was of use . Apologies for not getting back soonner . Work ect....life......

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »
Hi Buck

This sounds very intereseting . prehaps I could look at a solo mechanics system if this was of use . Apologies for not getting back soonner . Work ect....life......
That would be quite interesting.  The question of solo gaming often comes up.  I'd love to see what you come up with.

Buck

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 12:47:11 PM »
That would be quite interesting.  The question of solo gaming often comes up.  I'd love to see what you come up with.

Buck

It's the one thing missing from the GASLIGHT family. It's quite easy to graft solo rules on, but it would be nice to have some specific rules written.

The VSF "Look Sarge.." adaptation is intriguing though. I'm very tempted to buy the Look Sarge rules for my son, who is mad on WW2, so having a game using the same mechanics for lareg VSF games would be good.

Offline ironmammoth

• Librarian
    • Iron Mammoth Design
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »
I am looking for a set of VSF rules for small scales skirmishes (up to around 20 figures per side maximum).

I have just bought When The Navy Walked (and all it's extras), which looks interesting but I think it is for bigger conflicts. They are bringing out skirmish rules later this year though.

I have also downloaded Showdown, but not had a chance to go through it yet.

I just read Voyages Extraordinaires (from Wessex Games) which is available from Wargames Vault. This looks promising! Similar character architypes system to the Rattrap games, although simpler in VE. I just need to try it out now...

Has anyone thought about Malifaux for VSF games?
Iron Mammoth's Studio!
Model Making, Figure Sculpting and wargaming!
http://ironmammoth.blogspot.com/

Iron Mammoth Design
Figure Sculpting, Model Making, Laser-Cutting
http://www.ironmammoth.talktalk.net/imd/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
For VSF skirmishing I find GASLIGHT very hard to beat. Maybe if those splendid gentlemen that wrote "Triumph And Tragedy" were to do a VSF supplement, that might prove popular  ;)

I've got VE and it seems like it would make for a very good game, but I've never actually had a chance to play it. The other Wessex games I've played have all been well written and fun, so no reason why not.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
I've been using FUBAR for VSF gaming at about that force size, plus some vehicles, and have been very pleased with the results.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline General greenman

• Schoolboy
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
Hi Buck

Where does one find a set of
 "Look Sarge ect ..Rules for ACW VSF ?
As  I have been back on nights in the real world

Offline CPalmer

• Scientist
  • Rules Author, Dealer In Antiquities, Mad Scientist
    • My Blog: One More Gaming Project
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 01:13:34 AM »
Buck and I have not written anything formal yet for VSF, but I have been running games using  Brigade Models Ironclads range of vehicles and Irregulars 2mm figures.  I use the basic LSNC: ACW rules, and then stats for the vehicles which I have posted to both the LSNC and the 2mm Yahoogroups.
  You can see a report on my blog of a game I did at last year's Historicon:
http://onemoregamingproject.blogspot.com/2010/07/historicon-report-part-1-look-sarge-its.html

The base size is standard, so you could just as easily use 6mm, 10mm, or 15mm figures.
The ACW rules are available from Brigade Games, Old Glory, On Military Matters, and Amazon.

-Chris Palmer
"I have wrought my simple plan,
if I give one hour's joy,
to the boy who's half a man,
or the man who's half a boy!"
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline surdu

• Librarian
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
Hi Buck

Where does one find a set of
 "Look Sarge ect ..Rules for ACW VSF ?
As  I have been back on nights in the real world

The Look Sarge family of rules is available through Old Glory, Brigade Games, On Military Matters, and Amazon.  I think they can also be ordered from Cavalier.  We've really just begun to work on the VSF adaption, but if you got the American Civil War version I think you could quickly bolt on VSF stuff yourself as a stop gap while we work on this.

We're simultaneously working on adapting the Look Sarge system to Napoleonic Wars (farthest along, working really well), fantasy, and VSF.

Buck

Offline watchtower78

• Scientist
    • Dastardly Designed Games
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »

I have just bought When The Navy Walked (and all it's extras), which looks interesting but I think it is for bigger conflicts. They are bringing out skirmish rules later this year though.

ironmammoth you can always play smaller games with smaller sized units. I've seen games of 28mm units using only two stands of three figures each stand. You could do three units this size per side and one or two machine units per side and play a fun quick game of WTNW. Also, if you are interested I have started working on the skirmish rules and would love some playtesting. Either way our company model is to be very accessible for our customers so that we might be here for support of the products as well as develop better products in the future. BTW our miniature line will be available sometime next week. Thank you for your support of WTNW and of the VSF hobby.

Offline XCIV

• Scientist
    • Victoria's Boys in Red
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2012, 04:01:37 AM »
Just to be first to mention it... Osprey is advertising a VSF / Steampunk rules set to be released in March, 2013. It looks as if it will be based on the In the Emperor's Name engine, and is called In Her Majesty's Name.
J

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." -- Winston Churchill
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2012, 06:34:21 AM »
Osprey is advertising a VSF / Steampunk rules set

Osprey posted about it yesterday here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=40488.0;topicseen