Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689308
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Slavers' run  (Read 5361 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Slavers' run
« on: April 16, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
Today Björn and me were playing a game of Triumph and Tragedy and I thought I'd give you a short report with a bunch of pics to go along.

The setting: The infamous slavelord Abdul Harim al Shakal and his gang of murderous slavers had just burnt down a village deep in Africa, killing all grown up men and old people. Now they tried to bring the valueable young slaves across the river and out of the tribe's territory. All they had to do was reach the banks and they'd be save and rich...

Of course villagers from nearby settlements rushed to rescue their friends and relatives. A deperate retreat action was on hand. Here we see the slavers and their packtrain of slaves leaving the burning village.

Yet even as they started their marsch towards the river movement in the trees to the right and to the left told Abdul Harim that this would be no picnic.

A group of natives armed with rather outdated muskets opened fire without any serious danger for the Arabs. The smoke of the firing line can be seen in the background just as the slave caravan descended into the jungle...

One rifleteam of the arabs opened fire on the approaching "savages" on the left, while Abdul Harim lead the second rifleteam into a charge against the musket wielding natives on the right.

Actually the secon picture shows the end of a second bloody melee fought on the right flank as a unit of spear-wielding natives charged the slave lords firing team after the latter had dispatched the inexperienced musketeers. However, things still looked grim, as another group of natives managed to dispatch the rifleteam on the left flank in what must be the most pathetic melee ever fought: the Arabs were vanquished after suffering only a single surpression marker and failing their morale check. They just seemed to have thrown their rifgles down and let themselves be cut to pieces.

By this time Abdul Harim was in dire straits: of his 39 men only he himelf, 4 riflemen and 5 guards of the pack train remained standing. Even though his team had more surpression markers than Venice Beach has sand, Abdul Harim bravely put himself into the line of charge of the bloodied yet victorious spearmen. He managed to deflect the assault and fell back to the river bank.

In the end he escaped and even brought the slaves with him - though in the last turn native bowmen cut down 4 of the 5 train guards. But one whip was enough to get the slaves to "safety" and misery. And, looking back, the profit now only needs to be split by 4 rather than 39 men. Not bad for a hard days work...

All in all it was a very enjoyable game and hard fought to the last turn. I realized that it's really worth being a little stricter on the measurement, as we had various occasions when  half an inch were preventing the assaulting team to get everybody in for the first round.  Thus the Arabs were lucky a few times not having to fight against superior numbers in every round.

I was for the most part really lucky with my moral checks (with the one notable exception mentioned above).

Oh, and Björn surprised me with  a little vodoo on the side - as these two photos prove....

Well, that's it, I hope you enjoy the photos and the little story. I certainly di enjoy playing this wonderful scenario.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Slavers' run
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:25:33 AM »
Lovely report,great table and wonderful minis :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:09:36 AM »
Beautiful looking game and what fun!!

Dastardly Abdul Harim al Shakal won in the end - where is the justice?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »
Yeah, great report indeed. Amazing table and miniatures. I think Plynkes should include it in the colonial AAR sticky.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:11:35 AM »
Tremendous game Bjorn.  Great scenery, figures and plot.  Well done!
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
Hi,

thanks to Lars for the pictures and the report. And thanks to your kind comments.

It was a fun game. Actually we played two games. We were testing new rules and a scenario.

The first game quickly showed the scenario weakness and we modified some scenario features. The second game was smoother and more balanced.

The game was on the edge until the last round. A lucky win for the bad guys.

I had also use for the event cards. I use them for two years now. In the game the cards were the magic ability of the Native Shaman. He could play them either on the  native warriors ( good cards ) or against the slavers ( bad cards ).

The game had these forces involved :
Slavers :

1 Hero
1 Unit Riflemen Veteran ( 6 )
1 Unit Riflemen Trained ( 6 )
1 Unit Swordmen Veteran ( 5 )
1 Slave Caravan Trained ( 5 ) plus Slaves ( counts as baggage train )

Natives:
1 Shaman
1 Unit Spearmen Veteran - leader ( 9 )
1 Unit Spearmen Trained - Leader ( 9 )
1 Unit Bowmen Trained ( 8 )
1 Unit Musketmen Raw ( 8 )

Cheers
Björn
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:44:13 AM by Driscoles »
, ,

Offline The Breaker

• Scientist
  • Enjoyably annoying
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Looks like a cool game!
"We shot them under rule 303"

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
That looks great! Loads of fun and a very nice looking set up!

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:49:22 PM »
A stirring report and lovely eye-candy! Marvelous stuff, sir!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
Somehow I managed to miss this  >:(  ::)

Wake up, that man at the back!

Great report and a nice sized game too. I actually have enough figures painted to play this scenario as it was written. It's not often I can say that  lol

I've got a lot less playing space, but I'm sure I can fudge things to fit it all in  :)

Great stuff Doomhippie and Bjoern - please post lots more like it.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:28:09 PM »
Somehow I managed to miss this  >:(  ::)

Wake up, that man at the back!

lol Me too  ::)

Looks wonderful, plenty of things to see  :-*

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/