Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:03:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Air support on your SF games  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Air support on your SF games
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »
So...how many of you use air support on your games? Do you kitbash fliers? How many for each force?

I'm asking this because I'm planning on using some air support for my forces. I've got several 1/48 airplanes and helis to convert and I know there's always the Old Crow option but I would like to know (and see) some new ideas ;)

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
Re: Air support on your SF games
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 08:46:43 PM »
I don't game.

But I just want to remind of something you likely know: Robogear stuff.*

* By the way, a huge thanks for your suggestion in the cheap scifi minis thread about using the heads of robogear troopers as cylon heads.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »
Rarely.
But it really depends on the game/scenario.

Have sometimes used air support for Starship Troopers, occasionally for District 9 type games, but most games don't even use vehicles.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:43:58 PM »
Transports as objectives; capture/escape with/destroy.
Or as entry points; squad disembarks from transport.

I think VTOL or helicopter craft are perfectly usable on the table, both as objectives and as offensive units.

However, anything faster than that, say, a Mach 2 fighter-bomber, would only be usable once per game, as its speed would limit it to one pass over the battlefield before the fight is over. After all, most games are stretched out affairs compaired to the battles they represent. Many hours gaming combined can be compressed into only minutes of battle, since so much happens simultaneously, but needs to be played out step by step.

So; for those single occasions, I don't think it's worth representing a fast mover, let alone model it.

Now, if you want a reason to build one, you could of course opt to use it as an objective; no faulting such initiatives... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:16:41 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.

Right now I'm a planning a kitbash of a 1/48 Mil Mi-24 with a 1/48 OV-10A Bronco for my Neo-Soviets (it will be a gunship/transport). My other forces will use a Revell Star Wars ARC-170 as a ground attack aircraft. And maybe I'll kitbash something from a 1/48 Apache ;)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
If you have a really big table you can do it but I think as everyone else pointed out VTOLs and other "Hovering" fliers are the most practical.  I have a 5x12 foot table which is about 1.75 x 4 meters but even on that at 25-30mm scale VTOLs are best.  I'm planning on using that table soon to play Battletech with Aerospace fighters and other air support soon.  We've been using some VTOLs on tables half that long and it has been a lot of fun for us but that's 6mm 1/285th scale. 

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply Ironworker. Your spaceport project (and blog) are a great source of inspiration ;)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47:05 AM »
I've used some fliers under Defiance: Vital Ground rules, most notably some Star Wars droid fighters. However as most rulesets I play don't cater for air support (except in a very abstract manner), I haven't really bothered with making or buying that many aircraft.

Incidentally I'm still waiting for a really good drop ship/boat kit in 28mm scale, such would probably be most ubiquitous type of flyers.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
For skirmish style games like FOF and such I only use say represent Helo/VTOLs, anything else would be pointless, as it would travel so quickly, and be so far above the battlefield, you wouldn't even see it get near the table unless you tied it to the ceiling. Bigger games? Yes, I may do.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »
I'll just join all the people going "VTOL VTOL" :D

workerBee

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
So...how many of you use air support on your games? Do you kitbash fliers? How many for each force?

I'm asking this because I'm planning on using some air support for my forces. I've got several 1/48 airplanes and helis to convert and I know there's always the Old Crow option but I would like to know (and see) some new ideas ;)

Depends on the scale of the game.

Skirmish to platoon - proper air support is either a devastating riposte or a lot of resources wasted (lucky point defense or a missed strike) so probably is a game changer of the worst sort.

Company level to Battalion level - optional but recommended in contolled portions.

Large than Battalion level - almost mandatory IMO.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
I love them in 6mm games, especially the way they work in dirtside II, having models cross the entire table in that scale just feels right.

I detest the idea of fliers going over in games like 40K, just to small scale a game for it.

I am curious to try them in 15mm gruntz but haven't played yet and lack any models currently, I really need to raid the revel starwars models on sale at my local toy store. I really would like it if somebody could point out some 15mm ish sci-fi fighters.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
VTOLs are a staple for the modern era and should definitely be represented.

Flyers don't need to be represented apart from a wreckage marker (maybe) or scenery. The effect of strafing/bombing can be dealt with without the need for an actual model and would happen at speeds greater than the length of a gaming table.

At 6mm, maybe but you would still need a long table for 15mm.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 10:34:49 AM »
I think I should stipulate that the forces I have build for gruntz are quite "low" tech. Relatively speaking. Sometimes higher tech levels of sci-fi don't mean better stuff at top tier but more options at bottom tiers. What I am saying is that I am thinking of adding a Mig equivalent. Ramshackle  and outdated, but still useful if your strafing fools on the ground.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
Once again, thanks for all the feedback! I see that VTOL is the way to go  lol