Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some Gladiators and a quick AAR  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Some Gladiators and a quick AAR
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:32:29 AM »
Seems like everyone on this forum is working on gladiators!  It's been fun to click through and see everyone's projects, I especially love the "Ludus in a tin" idea, and am going to have to make one of my own soon.

Anyways, I figured since it's one of the projects that I've got on tap at the moment, I'd share what I've done so far.  Also had a few games last weekend, so here's a quick AAR (with notes on gameplay and my thoughts on the game afterward, in the event that you're not familiar with Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings rules, which the Gladiator rules are based on):

http://tomsinfrequentlyupdatednerdblog.blogspot.com/

These represent about half of the gladiator minis I've got, the rest are still awaiting paint:

Hope you guys enjoy 'em!

Offline cuchulain23

• Scientist
Re: Some Gladiators and a quick AAR
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:27:54 AM »
Great looking figures. Looks like you can have some good games with a variety of figs.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »
some nicely painted gladiators there!

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
Thanks, guys!  I think I've got pretty much all of the "standard" types, as well as a few rarer classes, covered, but I'd like to have at least 2 each of the more common gladiator varieties (already have the minis, just need to paint 'em), and wouldn't mind adding to the collection from a few other ranges.  Not sure I need more gladiators, but they've been a lot of fun to paint, and if I have a bunch then I can hopefully more easily rope some people into playing a campaign between a few rival ludi.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
Very nice. I like the purple Murmillo best.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »
Very nice!! Love them, and your shield designs are very good too.

Seems like everyone on this forum is working on gladiators!  It's been fun to click through and see everyone's projects, I especially love the "Ludus in a tin" idea, and am going to have to make one of my own soon.

lol lol Gladiators are cool!! And you can play just with a few of them.

Cheers.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »
Nice stuff mate!

Did you mention who makes your gladiators and what scale?

Cheers!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »
Looks like mostly Crusader Minis from that post.  Great looking gladiators...really awesome stuff.  Tons of character.  I wasn't too enthused with the Gladiator rules though (hand to hand combat is my least favorite aspect of the LOTR system...so it ruins the game for me).  The book is fantastic though, lots of great material.  I am definitely hoping to pick up a copy at some point.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »
Nice stuff mate!

Did you mention who makes your gladiators and what scale?

Cheers!
Thanks!  Elbows got it - the minis are all Crusader, which puts them at 28mm scale.  At the time I got started, I would say they were your best bang for buck.  The Foundry minis have come down in price a bit, and some are very nice although they seem a little less consistent in naming and equipment.  The Paul Hicks models are gorgeous (from what I've seen, anyways), but just a budding line so there isn't quite as much variety in poses.

Great looking gladiators...really awesome stuff.  Tons of character.  I wasn't too enthused with the Gladiator rules though (hand to hand combat is my least favorite aspect of the LOTR system...so it ruins the game for me).  The book is fantastic though, lots of great material.  I am definitely hoping to pick up a copy at some point.
Thanks!

I hear you on the rules, the combat mechanics are fairly simplistic for gladiators and really not too exciting for 1 on 1 fights.  The main incentive for me to use that set is that the guys I'll be playing with are only occasional gamers, and already familiar with the LOTR rules, so it's easy to get games started.  I'm also more-or-less just porting the campaign system from Legends of the High Seas over to these rules, so we can have a couple of rival ludi in an ongoing campaign.

The book is very nice, though, and I would recommend nabbing a copy if only for the gorgeous miniatures and some of the background info!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:12:47 AM »
Any idea where I can get my hands on a copy of the rules?  Cant find them anywhere!

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »
I got mine during the big sale, just before WH closed their doors, but I think they come up from time to time on eBay or the trade section of forums.