Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:49:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689660
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley - Perilous Island Campaign, Chapter 1 - HIDALGO FIRE  (Read 7966 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
This is the first scenario in our Perilous Island campaign. We’re hoping to play through the entire campaign, posting one AAR per week….

Deep in the heart of the Mexican desert, a small group of archeologists, led by Lady Elaine Darrow, work busily to uncover ancient Toltec ruins. Half way around the world, Lady Elaine's father has gone missing. It is up to you to find him but convincing Lady Elaine to help is another matter entirely…

The plot points are –

Lady Elaine (Major Plot Point) – Eldest daughter of Lord Donovan Darrow, Lady Elaine is both a world famous author and archeologist. Without her help, there is little chance of tracking down Lord Darrow.

Elaine’s Tent (Plot Point) — Located somewhere in her personal quarters are important clues, but what perils will you find?

Ancient Artifact (Plot Point) — Lady Elaine’s most recent discovery may prove to be quite useful. If nothing else, this ancient artifact could be worth a small fortune.

Elaine's Luggage (Plot Point) — Lady Elaine’s trunks are packed and ready for travel. Searching her luggage may reveal important clues.

Elaine's Loyal Maid (Plot Point) — Lady Elaine's maid, U'bunyu, looks like a cross between a woman and an ox. Surely she knows something, but will she speak?

NOTE --- I decided to playtest the new Pulp Alley rules for airplanes in this scenario. The plane was limited to making ground attacks against the Major Plot Point, but I was hoping to catch some other characters in the bursts! We also decided not to do the burst that would normally occur on turn #4, due to the plane….

I really like the deployment for this scenario because it gives each league the option to spread out all over the table….

All set up and ready to go….

One of the random events for this scenario prevented all the characters from running, rushing or attacking an enemy for the duration of the first turn. Some characters moved into cover and some closed in on their hated foe.
Everyone could sense the epic duels that were about to happen… Mike versus Suzy… Tiger versus Terrier…

However, when the terrier spotted the hungry tiger stalking towards it, the little fellow scampered away as fast as he could.…  (Unseen Peril was played and the terrier was ko’d)…

Turn #1 ended with characters moving in to position for the serious fighting to come.

The mysterious plane flew low over the desert and the pilot spotted his target, “Now I have you!”….

Turn #2, Mike and Suzy were the first to fight, from a feint into a slip and kicking from the hip, they had expert timing. In fact, it was a little bit frightening. So savage was the fight, that both warriors went down and did not recover….

Pulp Girl’s custom Mauser in feared far and wide.… except when she is ‘Out of Ammo’. Unable to shoot, Pulp Girl runs for the tent….

From the cliffs, Mak opens fire on Kiree. Both are injured in the exchange of hot lead! ….

Kiree goes for the hatbox, but it is pulled away by one of PulpGirl’s lackeys…. (failed the peril but was not injured)

Mak is surprised by the sound of shots coming from behind him. He is knocked down and almost forced off the cliff by the thug’s wild shooting…. (The thug scored 2 hits and played ‘Knockback’ to throw Mak off the cliff. However, Mila played a ‘Misfortune’ to cancel the thug’s card.)

Danny chased down the maid and convinced her to follow him to safety. (Plot Point completed)….

Damion attempted to climb to the artifact, but could not keep a grip of the crumbling rock and tumbled back to the ground. (This climbing peril required 1 Might success. He failed the check but managed to avoid injury)….

Lady Elaine points her pistol at Bane as he approaches, “Stay back.” Bane calmly holsters his Luger and reaches out his hand, “Come with me if you want to live.” (Peril and Plot Point passed) ….

Smelling Kiree’s blood the tiger mauls her from behind. She goes down and does not recover….

The planes circles around to get into position for an attack, and so ends Turn #2….

Turn #3 starts off with the tiger rushing towards a follower that had been lurking along the bottom of the cliff. The follower is quickly overpowered, but not before injuring the tiger. Mak and a rifleman then move in to finish off the big cat….

After robbing the tent, a red-capped lad flees in hopes of evading Pulp Girl - but he doesn’t get very far before she guns him down. Ember then hurls poison daggers into the back of one of Pulp Girl’s followers in the truck.

(Bottom-left corner) Bane’s sidekicks climb up and capture the artifact (Plot Point completed), while Bane runs Elaine back to the safety of the cliffs. The pilot misjudges the distance to the cliffs and must pull out of his dive without even squeezing the trigger….

At the start of turn #4, Mak and the rifleman take the tiger down. (It does not recover)….

Ember (belly-dancer) finds herself surrounded by some rather unruly sorts. She takes both of the brawlers down, but is also injured. (Neither of the brawlers recover). And one of Ember’s henchmen lobs a grenade from the truck that leaves Pulp Girl bloodied and stunned .…

From the cover of the cliffs, Bane and his crew snipe at the other leagues. The plane passes over Bane’s position and prepares for another attack….

On turn #5, Ember moves to pick up the dropped loot, while her minion in the truck keeps Pulp Girl pinned down with another grenade…

From the other side of the table Bane takes careful aim (‘Steady Aim’) and shoots at Mak. Although Mak is uninjured, his pistol is shot from his hand and he spends the rest of the turn recovering it. (Bane scored 2 hits on Mak and then played ‘Disarmed’ and ‘Stunned’). In the truck below Mak, one of Bane’s followers begins looking through the luggage….

At the end of turn #5 I get one last chance to attack with my plane. And again, I miss miserably. Drats!

Turn #6. Bane and his sidekick shoot down the rifleman, clearing a path for the truck, as it rumbles away.
Ember happily escapes with her loot, leaving Pulp Girl and Mak with nothing but blood and bruises….

With heavily armed federales arriving on the scene, the leagues quickly flee the area…

You have learned that Lord Darrow has been communicating with his daughter, Lady Elaine, via letters for several years. Crisscrossing Southeast Asia, Lord Darrow worked furiously to gather clues about an ancient, lost culture. His last letter, many months ago, mentioned his dear friend, E. J. Demas, in Athens. It’s a long-shot, but the only lead you have — far across the Atlantic!

Next week…
On this forum…
Don’t miss the next thrilling chapter of PERILOUS ISLAND -- THE FINAL FLIGHT!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:15:06 AM by d phipps »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Pulp Alley - Perilous Island Campaign AAR #1
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Can't wait for the next chapter. Simply brilliant!

Prof. Dinglebat. Phd.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
This is going to be a great look forward to, as it is already.  :-* the added flight of the albatross.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
Wonderful, like the minis and setting great AAR. more please

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »
Thumbs up!!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline BlackSmoke

• Librarian
    • The Colour of War
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 11:16:43 PM »
Brilliant! Looking forward to the next one!

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »
A really nice read. I'm looking forward to the next installment in Athens.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:14 AM »
I'm looking forward to the next installment in Athens.

Ah, but not so fast. Treachery is afoot and there is a surprise stop in Casablanca.  :o

Oh wait, now it's not a surprise. Just forget I mentioned it.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:43:32 AM by d phipps »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
I suspect that one of the aeroplane crew in the pay of the villains has carried out a bit of sabotage, thus forcing the heroes to make an unscheduled stop where a nasty surprise awaits?

Play thrilling music!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:45:52 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
Very nice!

Can you give me the recipe to the board/rock colours used? I have a sand-covered board with mesas that is far to dark reddish Brown, and I would like something more like this...  :)

Am going to order Pulp Alley soon, btw, I just started painting again after a long pause (the Pulp Painting Club was just the spark I needed) to try the full rules instead of the playtest ones which I got a long time ago. All these fine AARs have caught my eye for a while, now, so I have to join the fun  :D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:56:05 PM »
Smashing stuff!  :-* I'm looking forward to the next installment.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Diplomatist

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »
Brilliant report - I particularly like the inclusion of the game mechanics.

My wife also wants to know about the boards...

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:06 PM »
Dave, the plane, was it controlled by one of the players or was it just a random attack vs the major plot point thingy?

Also, it that an acrylic rod holding the plane up? Can the plane be removed?

Nice AAR and I look forward to more.
Thanks.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
Very nice!

Can you give me the recipe to the board/rock colours used? I have a sand-covered board with mesas that is far to dark reddish Brown, and I would like something more like this...  :)

As far as colors, it's just some stuff I got at a local paint store. Oklahoma (where we live) has lots of red clay soil, so I just told the guy I wanted "red dirt" paint and he mixed it up for me. I can't tell you what color it is, but here are a few links of some WIP that might help ---

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42395.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49063.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42046.15

Oh, and you should have at least part of a PDF I sent.

Brilliant report - My wife also wants to know about the boards...

Cool, Mila and I make most of the terrain together. Although, she claims I try to "supervise" too much - which is code for "standing back and watching her work". Anyway, feel free to check out those links above.

Dave, the plane, was it controlled by one of the players or was it just a random attack vs the major plot point thingy?

Also, it that an acrylic rod holding the plane up? Can the plane be removed?

I wasn't playing in the scenario but I was controlling the plane -- basically, just so I could test some of the new Aircraft rules first-hand. Our goal with these new rules is to give folks the opportunity to include planes and other fun stuff in their games without it throwing off the balance or pace of the scenarios.

In this particular scenario, my plane was ineffective due to pilot error (me) and my amazing ability to avoid rolling any numbers above a 3.  lol lol lol

The rod is loose on both ends so I can have the same planes landed on the ground and I don't have to build as many flying stands. And if I wanted to, I could even use rods of varying lengths.

The rod slips tightly into brass sleeves .5" on both ends (plane and base).  Even an accidental bump is not likely to knock it loose unless it comes from directly below. For me, the trickiest part was making sure those brass sleeves didn't hold the rod at an angle. A couple more pics....

THANKS for the comments and the support!

Dave

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
As far as colors, it's just some stuff I got at a local paint store. Oklahoma (where we live) has lots of red clay soil, so I just told the guy I wanted "red dirt" paint and he mixed it up for me. I can't tell you what color it is, but here are a few links of some WIP that might help ---

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42395.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=49063.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=42046.15

Oh, and you should have at least part of a PDF I sent.

Cool, Mila and I make most of the terrain together. Although, she claims I try to "supervise" too much - which is code for "standing back and watching her work". Anyway, feel free to check out those links above.

OK, thanks, I'll have a look and try mixing some acrylics  :)

I'll be connecting my desktop pc with POP3 to my webmail account this afternoon and leave it on for the mails to get directly downloaded on the go. Then, hopefully, it doesn't crash during the night, and the capacity bottleneck problem should be solved. Sorry for the inconvenience, I should have given my gmail address instead, I guess.