Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: Get to the Chopper  (Read 7412 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: Get to the Chopper
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »

Forum members theottovonbismark, Just John, Mr Saturday and I got together at a local convention over the weekend to play a couple of games.  The first was a four player game of Pulp Alley set in the 40k universe.  Ratlings, Zardork, ALF, Cudbears in rutting season, Death Ferrets, Genestealer Hybrids, Inquisitors, Space Eunuchs, Venus Man-Traps, it had it all.  It was lots of fun, very amusing and it looked pretty decent too.  

More photos and details in the blog post.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:26:55 AM by cheetor »

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Alley/Inquisitor: Get to the Chopper
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
Fantastic stuff - terrain and miniatures alike. The flora looks great, and seeing the shuttle/drop ship again reminds me that I really need to get one!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:35:55 PM »
Excellent terrain and figures.  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
Brilliant!
Proper RT madness.
 :D 8) :D

Great minis and terrain, reminiscent of the era.
 :-* :-* :-*

Also wonderful to seeing you fellas all get together for a game.
 8)

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
One of THE BEST AARs I've ever read!

Pretty miniatures, pretty scenery, and a fast, fun, HILARIOUS game!

Your tabletop is something you can really be proud of.

Now I need an ALF mini too...

Thanks for sharing.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline theottovonbismark

• Librarian
  • theottovonbismark.wordpress.com
    • TheOttoVonBismark
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
It was a fun game indeed.  Pulp Alley is an excellent set of rules for narrative gaming.  Looking forward to the next thrilling installment.
Otto

http://theottovonbismark.wordpress.com/

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
Fantastic stuff - terrain and miniatures alike. The flora looks great, and seeing the shuttle/drop ship again reminds me that I really need to get one!

Thanks Hawkeye.  The GZG dropship is still OOP, but its a lot further down the road to re-release than it was a few months ago I think.

Its very passable for 28mm too I think.  If Zardork (built on a modern Savage Ork plastic "chassis") can stand in the cargo bay, then its definitely within parameters :)

Excellent terrain and figures.  :)

Thanks Nimrod.  Just John and I supplied the terrain but each force came from the player using them.  The standard across the four of us is pretty decent and it encourages a certain amount of friendly competition when it comes to painting and preparing a force.  Nobody wants to be the guy with the worst models, which is good for keeping the standard up and improving.

Brilliant!
Proper RT madness.
 :D 8) :D

Great minis and terrain, reminiscent of the era.
 :-* :-* :-*

Thanks Mason.  

This group of players has got together through a fondness for some of the older Warhammer games ethos, if not necessarily the game mechanics.  The terrain and feel of a game that we organise is likely to default to a certain sort of 1980s vibe and theme.

There is also a lot of love for the older GW ranges in the group, part driven by misty-eyed nostalgia for rubber faced figures with ham hock hands and part driven by the sort of character in some of those fun-to-paint sculpts that is sometimes missing in modern ranges.

Also wonderful to seeing you fellas all get together for a game.
 8)

"Niche hobbyist with vintage, retro tastes seeks others for long sits in sweaty halls... and maybe more.  Non-smoker"

theottovonbismark and I have been playing games together since 2000 or so, but getting in touch with Just John and MrSaturday was my one of my first forays into online man-dating.  It has proved to be a very productive and enjoyable arrangement so far :)

One of THE BEST AARs I've ever read!

[Blush emoticon]

Thanks.

Pretty miniatures, pretty scenery, and a fast, fun, HILARIOUS game!

Your tabletop is something you can really be proud of.

Thanks.  The table was a combined effort but each of us was responsible for our own miniatures.  Being invested in the models and terrain shouldnt be underestimated regarding its contribution to the giggle factor.  Having lovingly painted, named and otherwise themed miniatures invests players so much more, leading to far more engagement with the narrative too.

Now I need an ALF mini too...

Everyone needs an ALF mini.  Four A Miniatures have it.

It was a fun game indeed.  Pulp Alley is an excellent set of rules for narrative gaming.  Looking forward to the next thrilling installment.

As previously mentioned elsewhere, the price of survival for ALF may have been rather high.  Spending a summer zompocalypse living in a cave with an amorous Cudbear can do bad things to a Melmacians mental health...

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »
Great looking game. It's inspired me to put together a small rogue trader pirate crew of my own.  :D

Can that jungle get any more colourful?  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:55:14 AM »
Nice!!!

I've also picked up the idea of using Pulp Alley with Rogue Trader miniatures. Works wonders!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »
Outstanding AAR! THANKS for making Pulp Alley look so damn good!  :D

HAVE FUN

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »
Great looking game. It's inspired me to put together a small rogue trader pirate crew of my own.

Lovely, you wont regret it Ray :) 
Im on a bit of a pirate kick myself at the moment, but I am keeping away from the human pirates for the time being, I need to focus on the orks for now.  Space pirate warbands are great fun though, with all sorts of options regarding how you express their piratey-ness.

Can that jungle get any more colourful?  ;)

I went out of my way to get it as lurid as I could manage.  Reactions like that confirm that I got at least some of it right ;)

I've also picked up the idea of using Pulp Alley with Rogue Trader miniatures. Works wonders!

It scratches a lot of itches for me.  The low model count means that I can aim to get a lot of those interesting minor factions and elements from the background off the painting table and straight into games.  Its great.

Outstanding AAR! THANKS for making Pulp Alley look so damn good!  :D

The table and miniatures are from various members of my gaming group, so I cant take full credit, but I am very pleased with how all of the elements are progressing :)  That we can get all of those models into a fun engaging game is down to the rules however, so right back at ya Dave.

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
Wow, this is COLOURFUL terrain!  :o  In a good way!
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
 Poor little Alf ;).

Love the Black Major inspired paint job too.Great looking game.

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
Superb, most SUPERB  :-*

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »
Thanks guys.  My terrain and miniatures are intentionally quite lurid.  I like the pulp sci-fi, comic book look that it generates.

Poor little Alf ;)

Meh, ALF is a smartarse.  Smartarses get what they have coming to them.  Thats personal experience talking ;)

ALF gets used more frequently in my games than many more obviously appropriate models.  He never fails to generate a few laughs.  I dont think that I could be bothered converting a set of miniatures to represent "Benji, Zax and the Alien Prince", but if someone made them, I would probably buy them  ::) o_o

Love the Black Major inspired paint job too.Great looking game.

Thanks.  The Black Major acted in character throughout the game and hiss dastardly schemes paid off, making him a highlight. 

The Action Force orks are something that theottovonbismark has been talking about doing for many years, but they are now starting to come together.  He is just putting the finishing touches on a squad of Red Shadorks and a vehicle.  They look great.