Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Radu plays with swords and sorcery[Frostgrave][Mord][ROC]  (Read 7086 times)

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
Radu plays with swords and sorcery[Frostgrave][Mord][ROC]
« on: December 02, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
Its all Guerrilla Miniature Games fault.

I have always loved fantasy skirmish games, going all the way back to hero quest. Mordheim was always a favourite and a while ago I got hold of the realms of chaos books. When age of Sigmar hit I got a bit excited and started thinking about Mordheim again but other stuff kept getting in the way.
I recently watched some bfg battle reports on Ash’s GMG channel and saw he had some battle reports for frost grave. I decided that although its always going to be a slow background project that I would start making some of the fantasy conversions I have had planned, some of them from when bitz ordering was still a thing. As with much of what I make I will be aiming for multi duty models that can be used in Mordheim, frost grave and realms of chaos, it wont always work but that’s ok, I just want to make some cool stuff :)

Bruticus’ throne of bones is an excellent thread where warbands of undead in a huge catacomb complex fight for the rights to a throne of power. As ever my own Mordheim projects weren’t far from my mind whilst reading his plog and so I ordered some vampire bits about three seconds after leaving his thread.

The recent GMG Frostgrave Youtube mojo meant I finally busted them out of their boxes and did some quick test poses

This guy will be a vampire (doh!) in Mordheim and a knight in frost grave or a vampire encounter.
I have plans for him on a horse as well because it should look a bit more imposing, hopefully frost grave will include rules for mounts at some point

This guy is something I have wanted to make since the new krell came out, he is based on my username, radu lykan, its the name of a character from the necroscope books, hes a mix of werewolf and vampire and he likes to think all the other vampires are scared of him. With the quick head swap he works as a vampire for Mordheim and a templar for frost grave

This will end up as a thief for frost grave and another vampire for Mordheim. Wanted to do a lahmian but one that in the heat of battle has dropped the facade of beauty and let the beast come out to play

Actually did a bit more than a blu tac test pose on this guy, obviously still early wip but am extending his robes to give him a similar sized silhouette as the other vampires, he will represent the necrarch bloodline and be the wizardy leader of the vampire warband for frost grave. Am aiming for a floaty ethereal vibe with him to reinforce the magical aspect because wizard

Whilst looking in the shed for the vampire stuff I came across the parts I bought ages ago to convert a load of wheel of time characters to slot into my fantasy empire. A quick bit of sawing and more test poses happened

This is my templar for frost grave. He’s a bit tall at the moment due to the angle of the cut but I kind’ve like the idea that hes a monster of a man

This is my knight for frost grave. Currently thinking the spear head needs to be a bit beefier? The shaft seems too thick for such a dainty blade? Also needs a nicer shield

This lovely lady might stay a hired sword for Mordheim as she doesn’t fit the professional soldier look I am aiming for with the human frost grave warband. Am considering magnetising her right wrist so she can make the journey from archer through tracker to ranger in frost grave if I don’t find a suitable replacement

My rand al thor fire wizard is mounted on a horse and I painted him a loooong time ago. So long in fact that the pics arent on my pc or memory stick. I will try to dig him out at some point for pics but the horse rules him out of frost grave for now so a newer version on foot might be in order, lets see what eBay turns up.

Another possible Mordheim warband(and frostgrave if mounts happen) I have done minimal work on was bretonnians, a while back I found the old white dwarf game full tilt. A quick conversation with my brother in law led to a challenge, paint up a knight in your family heraldry then they can duke it out. This petered out after we bought a box of knights but a similar community thread on the ammo bunker forum led to it getting rekindled and actual paint happened! Found out I don’t like painting white cloth and he got shelved, hopefully this plog will see him finished. My fluff for his warband is centred around a future witch hunter(fantasy inquisitor) campaign so am currently thinking he will get a dismounted model so he sees more use.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: Radu plays with swords and sorcery[Frostgrave][Mord][ROC]
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »
They are going to look amazing painted!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:00:11 PM by jp1885 »

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:35:10 AM »
Very cool, I'm really liking the Templar and the vampire is awesome!

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »
the vampires are my favourite. Can I ask where the heads for the vampires came from?
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:57:43 PM »
Very cool looking guys.

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:23:53 PM »
the vampires are my favourite. Can I ask where the heads for the vampires came from?

OP can correct me if I'm wrong but looks like the female lahmian is a plastic deamonette and the male necrarch is a plastic ghoul, both from GW Warhammer boxes.

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »
Wolfen- yep those are the right bits

Started kit bashing a new captain model, this guy will be magnetised to represent the captain of a mordheim warband with dual double barreled pistols

the captain in a frostgrave warband with double handed weapon and crossbow

He will also be seeing the battlefields of the 41st millennium as an officer of the fleet/rogue trader as seen in my other plogs. Any ideas for additions or thoughts on the weapon combinations before I commit to the build as is?
Also what are people's thoughts on guns representing enchanted crossbows?

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:24:16 AM »
fantasy stuff has been on the back burner, with a possible frost grave game in August I have begun work on a captain model, barbarian and a crow master for my vampire warband.
I am after some input on the captain, I am hoping to magnetise his left arm so he can change his load out, due to the small contact point on his right arm I am trying to decide between an axe and a sword and then stick with it. Basically which looks cooler from the variations below?

Axe and sword

Axe and shield

Sword and shield

Two swords
Also, any thoughts on a ranged weapon for vampires? The whole crossbow bolts and arrows basically being stakes feels wrong?

A simple head swap has given me my barbarian

And the start of some wood work allowing my crow master (bat mistress?) to detach her flock

Also got hold of an old familiar to use as a necromancy themed summoned imp

A rough size comparison

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
If you ask me, I'd go for the sword and shield combination. I hope to see these beauties painted  :)

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 01:02:28 AM »
Never been a big fan of Chaos, but your stuff looks really cool and inspiring. Can't wait to see them painted up.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »
Paint? What's that? :) soon................
Been thinking about a starting spell list, my first go so it's all just theory
Necromancy obviously :)
Steal health
Stealing other people health/blood is what vampires are all about
Bone dart
A ranged attack with low target for casting
Raise zombie
I figure fluff wise there's no point choosing necromancy if you aren't going to raise the dead :)
Also give me an out of game spell
Aligned
Fog
Fluffy way of negating enemy shooting, struggling to imagine vampires using much in the way of flying wooden stakes
Fleet feet
A few castings of this early on should give a bit of rapidity to my vampires
Summon imp
Some resummonable imps should work for treasure caddy duties
Neutral
Teleport
getting my wizards out of any tight spots and aiding in moving treasure around
Telekinesis
Moving treasure around sounds like fun :)
I have gone for hopefully easy to cast spells to add experience with some flexibility in what they do
Any thoughts on my selection?

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
Nice mix of spells, but be aware that the imp spell summons a neutral imp, which acts in the creature phase. To use it as a treasure caddy you'd also need the bind demon spell.

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 01:36:50 PM »
And that's why I asked for advice, seems I overlooked that bit. Now Swapping summon imp for summon demon. Looking forward to the forgotten pacts expansion for some vampire themed demons

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »
Good call - summon demon would be a better choice. You wouldn't need to succeed by much to get an imp.

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
Leaning the other way again, summon demon's range of touch negates a lot of options I was considering, also, having a big angry demon knock my wizards teeth out due to a bad roll isn't generally part of my plans :) Hoping to pick up bind demon at some point in the first few games, who knows, it could happen :)