Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 10:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693087
  • Total Topics: 118511
  • Online Today: 696
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Gatling Walker makes an appearance.  (Read 7679 times)

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
Re: 15mm Gatling Walker makes an appearance.
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
Does that walker have to have an ammo walker with it to carry all of the ammo those gatling use?

Ready to fire...FIRE! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAPPPPP CLick click click. (3 seconds later) Ok, bring up the ammo walker(s) and reload.

Good point !!    lol lol   ;D

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:27:45 PM by Vulture »
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."

My Wargaming Blog:  http://vultureswargamingblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:05:29 PM »
Oooh, a Colonial Marines APC.
 8)

Obviously the majority of the crew are actually in the legs and the whole torso is given over to ammo...that or it's some kind of laser gatling blaster that runs off the main engine.

I think the 5 chainguns look great, certainly the right choice, but you must have been tempted to go for the full 6 with a twin in the chin mount too?

I don't know if it's just your great paint work but the criticalmass walkers do seem to be the best 15mm models I've seen so far in my wanderings.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »
Oooh, a Colonial Marines APC.
 8)

Obviously the majority of the crew are actually in the legs and the whole torso is given over to ammo...that or it's some kind of laser gatling blaster that runs off the main engine.

I think the 5 chainguns look great, certainly the right choice, but you must have been tempted to go for the full 6 with a twin in the chin mount too?

I don't know if it's just your great paint work but the criticalmass walkers do seem to be the best 15mm models I've seen so far in my wanderings.

Viper

Will post tommorrow, v busy

Vulture

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:14:05 PM by Vulture »

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
More stuff that looks ace

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
Viper

No, I wanted just a single in the chin mount because I could then (with the magnets) make it moveable.  The twin mount is too big for that (shame) :)

Here's a photo of the Walker alongside a GW Dreadnought, for size comparison.

Lighting isn't great, but you get the feel...

Cheers

Vulture

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 06:05:01 AM »
 :o

I knew it would be kinda big but wasn't expecting it to be Dread big considering the price...3 of those babies costs less than a metal Dread from the EE if I remember right.

In addition to maybe getting me into 15mm they would work great for 28mm ED-209 style robot, or possibly one man, walkers if I modeled the top hatch closed rather than with the spotter sticking out the top.
 :D

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »
:o

I knew it would be kinda big but wasn't expecting it to be Dread big considering the price...3 of those babies costs less than a metal Dread from the EE if I remember right.

In addition to maybe getting me into 15mm they would work great for 28mm ED-209 style robot, or possibly one man, walkers if I modeled the top hatch closed rather than with the spotter sticking out the top.
 :D

Compared with GW prices, certainly, they seem quite good value for money.  Yes, for 28mm use, if you don't fit the pintle MG, and dont fit the top hatch, just fill the hole, they could be brilliant Recon / support droids or the like; and like you say, you could still use them for 15mm !  :)

Offline digimortal

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
Awesome work!  I jumped over to your blog and you listed the mods you'd made to the walker.  Where did the twin mounted gatling guns come from? 

Nice work on the stop motion stuff too!

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
Awesome work!  I jumped over to your blog and you listed the mods you'd made to the walker.  Where did the twin mounted gatling guns come from? 

Nice work on the stop motion stuff too!

Digimortal

Each Walker comes with the two arm mounted auto-cannons, and then a choice of three chin weapons.  I bought a platoon pack of three Walkers to start with, so you end up with 9 chin weapons for three Walkers, and so you have a few options :)

Cheers

Vulture

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
I've no idea what rules I would use, the few free ones you have mentioned probably, but this could be a good way for me to scratch the itch I have for a mechwarrior type game. As much as I love some of the mechwarrior designs the wargames for them are at such a small scale that a lot of the detail is lost on the minis.

A couple of squadrons of the critical mass walkers and I'll be in business, maybe add a couple of hover tanks and such. I know 15mm is a good balance between infantry and vehicles, and that 6mm would probably be better for vehicle only but I do so love the detail of the slightly larger vehicle models, without them being so big that you would need a very large board, which occurs in 28mm tank battle games.
 :)

I'm still looking around other 15mm manufacturers, Ground Zero have some very nice tanks, but Critical Mass really do seem the best, certainly when it comes to walkers, and probably hovertanks too.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:34:11 AM by Viper »

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
I've no idea what rules I would use, the few free ones you have mentioned probably, but this could be a good way for me to scratch the itch I have for a mechwarrior type game. As much as I love some of the mechwarrior designs the wargames for them are at such a small scale that a lot of the detail is lost on the minis.

A couple of squadrons of the critical mass walkers and I'll be in business, maybe add a couple of hover tanks and such. I know 15mm is a good balance between infantry and vehicles, and that 6mm would probably be better for vehicle only but I do so love the detail of the slightly larger vehicle models, without them being so big that you would need a very large board, which occurs in 28mm tank battle games.
 :)

I'm still looking around other 15mm manufacturers, Ground Zero have some very nice tanks, but Critical Mass really do seem the best, certainly when it comes to walkers, and probably hovertanks too.

Certainly GZG has a great range, as does Old Crow for that matter.  Critical Mass although having only a small range, have a great looking one that is for certain  :)

If your wanting to use Walkers, and in quite some detail, Beamstrike has some good vehicle rules, although I am biased in that regard as I had an input into them :)

15mm is certainly a great size for sci-fi  :)

Vulture

Offline Vulture

• Librarian
  • Veteran wargamer
    • My Blog
Gatling Walker - 'Firepower Test - Stop Motion Movie
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »
Hey guys

Couldn't resist rattling off a short stop-motion movie with the Walker today..    :)

Vulture

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:57:29 AM by Vulture »

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
 I like it  :-*
per aspera ad astra

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 04:22:40 AM »
That's the good stuff. :-*
Thanks  Vulture!
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!