Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:06:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I think my (Bolt Action) Germans need a tank  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Doug E

• Assistant
I think my (Bolt Action) Germans need a tank
« on: May 01, 2024, 11:20:33 PM »
New guy here, new to WW2 miniature wargaming, not knowledgable about German tanks, trying to slowly put together (and even more slowly - paint) a few units for Bolt Action. 

I'm thinking my early- to- mid-war Germans need a tank.  I'm thinking something roughly comparable to the Sherman or the T-34?  Not a super-tank that will cost over half my points, and not something that can be taken out with a smoothbore musket.  Something that regardless of what I'm trying to assemble, it will make a meaningful contribution, but is smaller than a Dreadnought battleship. 

Something I can use to invade France and might still be around to defend Berlin?

When I start trying to research German tanks, I get overwhelmed.  Nobody seems to be able to say "this is the one that would be there doing that".

Thanks in advance.
Inara: It sounds like something this crew can handle. I can't guarantee they'll handle it particularly well, but...
Nandi: If they've got guns and brains at all...
Inara: They've got guns.

Offline Mark

• Librarian
Re: I think my (Bolt Action) Germans need a tank
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 11:53:52 PM »
Not an expert by any means, but sounds like you're after a Panzer III or Panzer IV.

I believe both models served all the way through the war.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:54:29 PM »
Pz IV
Short barrelled & grey for fall of France with things like a swastika flag draped across the engine (so that Stukas etc. don't have a go at you)
If you want to use it for later in the war, you'll need a long barrel. & paint it green & browns. with camouflage applied (don't have air superiority any more)
For late war  you'll need side armour plates & possibly a complex splinter camo-paint job. Lots of bushes etc. to help hide it from the enemy air-forces.

You may be able to achieve some of the above with use of magnates, but your best bet is a friendly opponent who will overlook the shortcomings.

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 04:32:43 AM »
Has.Been in right a Panzer IV or Panzer III, the problem would be that the German tank force was in a constant state of flux throughout the war. The Panzer IV in Poland or France would have differences to the ones that started Barbarossa, which then would be different to the ones in 1942 and those would be different to those seen at Kursk. The same applies to Panzer IIIs. I would suggest using an inexpensive model as a proxy until you find what works best for your style of play. You are right to avoid supertanks which trap you in Late war scenarios, eat up vast amounts of points and, frankly, were absolute rarities on a real battlefield, it isn't often that a platoon could demand a Tiger or a KV-1 as a support option.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 05:43:35 AM »
Doug, as already stated the Pz III or PzIV  serve all the way through from 1939 to '45, but change quite a bit. In 1939 they are armed with a 37mm and short 75mm gun respectively, by say mid 1943 they have a long 50mm and long 75mm guns which are better able to take on the evolving tank threat.  To be honest it is the gun size and paint colour ( overall gray for 1939-42 and a "dunkelgelb" based scheme thereafter) that are the primary differences. Yes armour thicknesses and and other detail changes on the chassis/turret which some gamers will notice.  From what I know Most available 28mm/1/56th models cover only one variant of tank.       

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 10:10:10 AM »
For early-to-mid, I'd go PzIII. If you can find a kit that allows you a choice of weapons that you can magnetise, or a turrret you can swap you're laughing (I know, I know there were other subtle hull differences too, but none as obvious as the armament).

Early war PzIII with a 37mm and mid war PzIII with the long 50mm will give you something that's a good mid-range medium tank in both settings. You could also get away with both being Panzer Grey.

I'd be less inclined to go PzIV because while the mid-late war version with the long 75mm was a good medium tank, and very common, the early war version with the short 75mm was more a fire support variant, and really quite a rare beast, especially in 1940 (despite what the Wehraboos would have you believe). You'd also more likely have to paint one grey and the other in dark yellow...
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 12:17:19 PM »
Can I throw in another option a Stug III assault gun (I know its not strictly a tank, but in game terms its close enough, and was very commonly used to support infantry)

It also had fewer (externally visible) variants. As you mention Shermans then I think you are OK to go with Dunkel Gelb (Dark Yellow) as a base colour rather than Panzer Grey.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 12:28:34 PM »
How about a Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) or one of it's derivatives, like a Marder III?  Small, lightweight, used throughout the war (MarderIII was 1942 I believe).  My preference is the Marder III Ausf H:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:30:51 PM by Dubar »
The crow flies at midnight

Offline Doug E

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 05:15:22 PM »
To all of you that responded, a really big THANK YOU!

A little help focusing on what I was looking at makes it a lot easier to narrow down the options - until I get to that break-even point where going further (becoming more familiar with all the varients) makes it even more difficult.  I wish they would have conducted the war with a bit more regard for future generations and not made all those changes to their tanks.  They're almost as bad as those guys from the English Civil War who didn't properly document the colors of the uniforms and flags.

Anyway, this was all VERY HELPFUL, and am now much more knowledgeable about German tanks (or AFV's - thanks Dubar and fred) than I was before!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 05:26:08 PM by Doug E »

Offline Cholmondely Percival IV

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 06:19:23 PM »
I see you’ve already been given excellent advice. The Panzer III would also have been my tip, though as already pointed out, unfortunately it’s not quite as simple as that. With regard to the StuG III, while the most- produced fully tracked vehicle in the Wehrmacht, I’m not sure that it ideally meets your criteria, there being both long- and short-barreled 75 mm gun variants at different times of the war, and even one with a 105 mm gun (properly termed a SturmHaubitze). Because of the dimensions of the turret ring, the Panzer III could not mount a long 75 mm gun, which is why the turret-less assault gun was adopted (though the earlier ones had short 75 mms, and were used as fire support, as were the late war Panzer III variants, Ausf. M and N). In short - it’s complicated. Whichever tank or assault gun you decide on, some basic research will be needed and for the StugIII this will give you the basics:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgesch%C3%BCtz_III

Finally, whatever else you do, avoid the Maus.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 07:10:31 PM by Cholmondely Percival IV »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 06:41:14 PM »
Finally, whatever else you do, avoid the Maus.

Don't even think about the Ratte!   lol lol lol

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 07:10:15 PM »
Just a little note on scale… there is a never ending debate on whether 1/56, 1/50 or 1/48 look best with 28mm miniatures. Personally I go for diecast Corgi and Solido/Verem in 1/50.

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 11:44:31 AM »

I agree with traveler 1/50 is the way to go.

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 01:08:48 PM »
Just a little note on scale… there is a never ending debate on whether 1/56, 1/50 or 1/48 look best with 28mm miniatures. Personally I go for diecast Corgi and Solido/Verem in 1/50.

1/48 would be the cheaper option and way better detail. Have you seen the price of Solido and Corgi tanks ? :o

A lot of 1/48 much cheaper ready painted models on fleabay for a fraction of the price.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 01:10:52 PM by modelwarrior »

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2024, 10:27:08 PM »
If you’re trying to keep it simple, get 2 Pz IVs, a Pz IVD, paint it grey, for early to mid war and a PzIVG or H and paint it dark yellow, red brown and olive green camo for mid to late.