Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:41:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693564
  • Total Topics: 118545
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated  (Read 7957 times)

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Mordheim reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated
« on: December 05, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
Mordheim as not dead. The rules were free to download and although no longer on GW's site anywere they can be found all over the web still if you look.

e.g.: https://drive.google.com/folderview?pli=1&ddrp=1&id=0B18J5DU-6cP_aEg2dHIxbGpaMlk#

But beyond that, the game just isn't dead.

If you have ony ever played Mordheim from the original rule book you are playing with about 10% of the released content for Mordheim.
The Town cryer magazines added a ton of new content to the game.
During the time that Mordheim was supported by GW, 8+ supliments were released (some more official than others).

-Lustria
-Khemri
-Relics of the crusades
-Empire in flames
-Karak Azgal
-Albion
-Nemesis crown http://cianty.ashtonsanders.com/nc/
-Pirates of Sartosa: https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/sartosa

After GW stopped supporting Mordheim the largest fan made supliment to date was released.
This supliment introduced a victory conditions, progression campaign system, and has the advantage of being set in the wilderness (not so much need for a mass of ruined buildings)

-Border town burining http://bordertownburning.ciantygames.com/

But even today there are another two fan made supliments in the works:

-The sealed city: http://sealedcity.blogspot.co.uk/
-Mutiney in Marienburg - no website yet but info and some released files on Liber malefic blog http://libermalefic.blogspot.co.uk/

Between all the supliments, official rules and town cryer there must be over 50 (reasonably) blanced warbands and a hell of a lotmore experimental ones out there from the original witch hunters and eshin skaven to Ogre maneaters, to the litch lead "restless dead" warbands.

Oh and you might have missed this:

Mordheim is FAR from a "dead" system just because GW don't currently support it.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mordheim reports of it's death have been greatly exaggerated
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
So Maxxev,  who pissed in your Cheerios to move you to post the above?

Grimm

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »
Thanks for the links
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »
Who still plays this I loved the game but it needs an alternate activation modification to update it.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
Who still plays this I loved the game but it needs an alternate activation modification to update it.

Well we do have Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum:

http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/

AND I understand there is an active Yahoo group among others.

I'm curious to know why folks seem to think a company has to support a game in order for it to be viable. It's something rather alien to my war gaming experience. If anything G.W's non involvement means there will be no "new & improved" rule books popping up on a regular basis that make the old minis obsolete.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:19:30 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
Posted about the Mordheim computer game on the GW thread the other week, I think Scurv actually took the plunge and got it, even made some positive comments about it.

I downloaded loads of the online resources couple months ago, really interesting stuff. No time to sit and sort out to organize to play it yet.

Lots of balanced force lists, expansions, missions etc, great stuff, over and above the core rules

Very much like Epic, Necromunda etc, its not dead, but enjoying being left alone for gamers to play and enjoy without having to be concerned (long may it continue this way) about updated, modified - un-Limited edition re-releases by GW in an endless cycle of updates and revisions.

With the computer game release though, I do wonder..

Still I agree wholeheartedly there are plenty of resources for it available if you look, and People are playing it to.

Still, who said it was dead anyway?

And lets be honest, GW games seem to do much better in the long run, when they don't support them...

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
Well I can safely say I still believe Mordheim IS one of the better GW have released. I havent had many games on account of my on and off of gaming recently but I know a group who play regularly on a weekend.

I do believe also that I may at some point in the future try the online game of this too just to see what it is like.
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:55:10 PM »
We played Mordheim to death with our small group back in the day, stacked up any fantasy ish toys we had that could be terrain and played our warbands to the point of breaking. Good times.

That being said, over the years we did also realize that the actual mechanics simply weren't the best out there. The warband progression worked fine, marking of XP wasn't as cumbersome as you would think but a lot of the warhammer rules simply didn't translate all that well to skirmish.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
Mordheim is certainly not dead.

Our group have played it on and off for years.
I have half a dozen warbands, have run a couple of lengthy campaigns and even built a few bits of scenery for it.

It has been raising its ugly head again recently.
In fact a small faction are clambering for us to resurrect it again for gaming next year.... ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
Regarding the cimputer game, from what I saw in the demonstration videos, the control scheme looked horrible to me, for this kind of game. Seems to me like the developers had to compromise on the camera and controls so it's playable via gamepad. I would have loved to see a proper Mordheim game with isometric overhead view, kinda like Jagged Alliance 2 or even X-Com. The third-person camera system and weird area-based movement doesn't do it for me, for a tactics game I want to see what's going on on the battlefield and not having to turn the camera around my character all the time to see where the enemies are  :-[

Offline Simlasa

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
That being said, over the years we did also realize that the actual mechanics simply weren't the best out there. The warband progression worked fine, marking of XP wasn't as cumbersome as you would think but a lot of the warhammer rules simply didn't translate all that well to skirmish.
So what would be a better set of rules, or good rules mods for Mord, to overcome those perceived shortcomings? Something with alternating activation?
I've never played Mordheim but I always enjoyed Necromunda... and playing Mord in Lustria has me interested.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:04:41 PM by Simlasa »

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
And I made a version for Middle-earth called Annúminas City of Kings, but it's in Spanish:
Link

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
Funny thing is, just a few days before first hearing about the Mordheim computer adaption, I thought about doing my own take on it (in the style I described above). Oh well, it's better this way since GW's lawyers won't hound me over IP infringement ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:04:03 PM by Cherno »

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 02:49:54 AM »
Definately not dead.  We are playing tomorrow.  Still fun to play.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 06:35:40 AM »
I might be interested in the online game once testing's done. Have to see how it goes. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.