Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694312
  • Total Topics: 118597
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternatives to Testors?  (Read 5053 times)

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Alternatives to Testors?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
Sadly, having been extolling the virtues of brush-on Testors a couple of weeks ago (dead flat, no problems, no 'whiteys', easy to use, my world was complete...) this weekend I applied it to another batch of finished figures, and it completely unaccountably dried with a slight sheen! I tried a second coat. Same thing. I shook it, I let it stand and separate, I applied it in a warm room, I applied it in a cold room - there is just no rhyme or reason to it. What was a brand new bottle of dead flat matt lacquer three weeks ago, is now, inexplicably, a nearly new bottle of slightly satin lacquer...  (

I tried Testors, both spray and brush on for a while. The appalling reek of the spray made it impossible to use indoors and I am afraid the weather here in the Borders meant I could only varnish figures twice a year. The brush on got the brush off when I found that no matter how long I let the gloss varnish dry the Testors was lifting the paint, particularly bad on reds.

Best of luck with the Galleria, let me know how you get on.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Alternatives to Testors?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »
Quote from: "theoldschool"

Pat - a triumph! I'm in love with W&N Galeria  :wink:
(Yes, I know, I'm fickle in my affections!)
Went on very easily, barely any odour to speak of, and seem to dry perfectly matt, with no hint of white bloom / dullness.
The only possible criticism I can make is that (unlike most acrylic based paints) it seems to take quite a long time to dry. But apart from that it works a treat.
I'm a convert!
Thanks for the advice.

Mind you I loved Testors the first time. It's once the bottle has been opened and a few weeks have passed that the true test of product consistency / stability kicks in...

But so far, so good.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
Alternatives to Testors?
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
Quote from: "Captain Blood"
Quote from: "theoldschool"

Pat - a triumph! I'm in love with W&N Galeria  :wink:
The only possible criticism I can make is that (unlike most acrylic based paints) it seems to take quite a long time to dry. But apart from that it works a treat.
I'm a convert!
Thanks for the advice.

I'm glad it worked. You're right about the drying time, I find it best to do the varnishing last thing and leave it over night to dry completely. I think it is slightly different from most hobby matt varnishes in that it is more of a true varnish rather than just a matting agent in a carrier, which is why I reckon you don't need to gloss first.
Like you I searched for a long time for a matt varnish before finding Galleria. Now I won't use anything else.
Pat

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
Alternatives to Testors?
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »
Im not sure if this is one of those "you want it to work that way so you think it does" things but.....

i take the galeria matt varnish from inside the neck of the bottle where it accumulates after shaking and goes quite thick.  That seems to dry a lot faster and matter.

could just be wishful thinking though :-0
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"