Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 01:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694371
  • Total Topics: 118601
  • Online Today: 655
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another flyer to add to the collection  (Read 9716 times)

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
Re: Another flyer to add to the collection
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »
This 'nef project totally out-classes my one and only VSF Japanese flyer, the Divine Wind bomber:

Must get some 'nefs ....

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 03:56:46 AM »

Don't sell yourself short, friendo. That's a pretty great model. You can imagine a scenario where the main 'nefs pass through and deploy these little bombers to wreak a bit of havok while everyone's focus is on the bigger fight....

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 04:23:48 AM »
I was showing this 'nef to my wife, and she says to me "That's a lot different than yours - why so much? I mean, for one, his is finished."

I love her, but sometimes...well, hey she supports my hobbies - and even acts excited when I show her stuff like this, and then make comments like...

"Maybe I should try that style on my next one..."

And doesn't even hit me.

Beautiful job on the Aeronef - and that balloon by someone else is downright gorgeous.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 05:53:02 AM »
@ Bullshot,

I really like that Balloon flyer,  I imagine a whole swarm of them dropping bombs from above.  I may have to steal the idea.  Where did you get the pilot from?

For my Japanese troops I was going to use Copplestones Chinese figures with flat caps and just paint them up like japanese.  Our  battleline is slightly later then most VSF games as its set in 1903 so basically anything early from the Franco Prussian War to early WW1 seems to be making an apearance.

I did start measuring up for one of the larger Aeronef figures just in case I want to go the route of have a full sized aeronef game.   A Battleship would work out at 129cm long.  maybe a tad large.  Ideally I would like to keep my nefs under 80cm as the bigger they get the bigger our playing surface needs to get.  The bigger the playing surface gets the more impelled I am to paint more ground troops.   Its a dangerous circle.
I may do a few other nations nefs of a simular size just for the fun of it.

Cheers for all the positive comments

:)

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
To Rabbitz

Your beautifully modelled and painted Nef - The Mikasa Patrol Nef has inspired me to produce a similar, scratchbuilt Aeronef in my prefered scale of 1/300th or 1mm = 1foot.

I have already started to produce the hull and am well on the way to having a finished model.

I have featured your picture on my Blog, to act as further inspiration and a teaser to a workbench article I will produce for The Miniature Page.  Check it out at; http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

Firstly, thank you for the inspiration - I had been searching for a suitable next Aeronef project and secondly, I hope that you do not mind me using your photo on my Blog.

Regards

Tony

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 12:04:13 AM »
@ Bullshot,

I really like that Balloon flyer,  I imagine a whole swarm of them dropping bombs from above.  I may have to steal the idea.  Where did you get the pilot from?

For my Japanese troops I was going to use Copplestones Chinese figures with flat caps and just paint them up like japanese.  Our  battleline is slightly later then most VSF games as its set in 1903 so basically anything early from the Franco Prussian War to early WW1 seems to be making an apearance.

Flyer (including pilot) is from Scheltrum - actually a rather poor model, which comes with a horrible expanded polystyrene egg thing for the balloon (I replaced it with a Christmas decoration). There are several possible sources of alternative pilots out there - seated artillery limber crew would be a good start. Also check out Eureka - their VSF vehicle crew has a perfect flyer pilot and I was wondering what could be done with their French penny-farthing cavalry if you cut away the big wheel (these would look good painted as Prussian cuirassiers)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 03:16:53 AM »
Gentlemen, this unspeakable armed aggression cannot stand. IT CANNOT STAND!

Already Japanese strike forces are approaching the western coast of the United States following their cowardly and unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbour and their destruction of the Russian aerial fleet sent to support their American allies. Is there no one left to stamp out this spreading evil? Is there any wargames table left big enough to contain or hold any creation by Rabbitz? Do I get an automatic hit when I attempt to hit something this size? Can he please build me one? o_o

I declare the wargames table is dead. I am off to buy a dozen mechanics trolleys for our club and put these ships on rolling bases. Should be interesting. I suppose I should congratulate Rabbitz on his Herculean efforts prior to him pasting my entire expedition force with that monstrosity. Well done and can’t wait to blast it from the sky like a flaming ball of overgrown sushi. :D

Rabbitz, British spies long ago detected strange goings on in the shipyards of Osaka. You’ve been truly rumbled. Already I hear the whine of Rolls Royce steam turbine rotors approaching. And not just one……

TJG   :o

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 08:16:12 AM »
That is fantastic. And there's me struggling to stick two wheels to a bath to make a one man tank!
Don't!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 08:56:44 AM »
That is fantastic. And there's me struggling to stick two wheels to a bath to make a one man tank!

Is that a modelling plan or are you building full size for a bank raid  ?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 08:10:35 AM »

That's one way of getting on the News At Ten.  lol

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »

That's one way of getting on the News At Ten.  lol
Shut it!   You're nicked!   :D
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 033 Ptd: 077  Total: +044
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
Swarms of labourers have been sighted at the Osaka Ship Yards, far more activity then was seen during the construction of the 5th rate Patrol vessel launched earlier this month.   Rumours are that something Big is under construction, something to 'watch over' its smaller brother, The Misaka.
 ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »
You mad mad person... top job. Something I have always fancied doing upscaling cloudships and gunboats

Now that would be an interesting game idea....

:)