Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693830
  • Total Topics: 118559
  • Online Today: 835
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting  (Read 10037 times)

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
Re: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2024, 05:52:49 PM »
I certainly would not face that beast with such aplomb…unless his pipe doesn’t contain tobacco.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2024, 09:53:50 PM »
Another great addition!

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2024, 09:56:43 PM »
I certainly would not face that beast with such aplomb…unless his pipe doesn’t contain tobacco.

lol lol lol lol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2024, 09:58:36 PM »
And some more (Bloody Miniatures) monster hunters:

And a shot from one of our test games showing a gentleman and soldier attempting to drive off a wendigo that was threatening a small frontier settlement. The gentleman's dog had already been eaten and shortly after this photo was taken, both the gentleman and solder were also dined upon... suffice to say the scenario did not end well for the hunters!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2024, 10:26:31 PM »
Two of my favourite figures from the range, and you have painted them superbly.
..shortly after this photo was taken, both the gentleman and solder were also dined upon... suffice to say the scenario did not end well for the hunters!.
Ah, sadly, a common fate of freshly painted minis. :D

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2024, 04:33:12 PM »
Gorgeous minis and fantastic story!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2024, 05:17:52 PM »
Any chance you’d package up the scenarios separately?  I’m set for rules, by my Bloody Miniatures could always use more scenarios, especially different settings.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2024, 06:56:48 PM »
Excellent choice for the monster hunter miniatures, they're perfect, the most  characterful figures you can get for the period. Lovely paintjobs too!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2024, 04:48:01 PM »
Two of my favourite figures from the range, and you have painted them superbly.Ah, sadly, a common fate of freshly painted minis. :D

Too true!  :?

Any chance you’d package up the scenarios separately?  I’m set for rules, by my Bloody Miniatures could always use more scenarios, especially different settings.

There will be 13 scenarios in the rules, but very much written for the asymmetrical rule system.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2024, 04:50:44 PM »
The 'last' of my monster hunters, and a wee spectre.

This chap is another moss trooper from the 28mm Bloody Miniatures line. Originally toating two hefty horse pistols/dragons, I swapped out one of his hands for a spare lantern I had in the drawer. I see him as a scholar, but equipped as he is with sword and pistol, he could also be a veteran soldier or a gentleman slightly down on his luck.

I tried a much more toned-down version of object light source painting this time, really just highlighting what is a dark blue coat up with purple nearer the warm light of the lantern. Again, I am not wholly convinced, but it is not a displeasing result.

The headless spectre is a ghost from Midlam Miniatures with her hand twisted around to hold a wee resin candle. I actually painted her twice - the first time trying to heavily dry brush her from colour to white to be all ephemeral, but that really didn't work so I went back and coloured her in again. I think the headless nature of the figure makes it pretty clear that she is at the ghostly end of the corporeal spectrum...

In Devilry Afoot, spectres are ephemeral apparitions, the tormented souls of men and women killed before their time, or visions of demons summoned by witchcraft. The ethereal entities can manifest in different ways, ranging from translucent figures and misty shapes to full-bodied phantoms. As incorporeal beings, spectres may neither suffer, nor cause, physical wounds, but that does not make them any less threatening to the good living and God-fearing.

And a group shot of all the hunters!

Two each of the five archetypes - gentlemen, goodmen, scholars, soldiers and religious - and the wee dog too. It would be very unusual to see them all on the table together in a game of Devilry Afoot, most hunting parties would have less than six figures in them, but I do like the look of the group shot.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2024, 04:53:46 PM »
Lovely stuff, I really like the lantern conversion too. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2024, 04:26:44 PM »
Superb painting.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2024, 04:32:33 PM »
Lovely 👍

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2024, 03:55:50 PM »
Thanks again folks for the continued encouragement. I've a few more monsters done including the most wonderful troll that every did troll stuff.

Great lumbering creatures, ox-tailed and with grotesque features, the trolls of northern Europe dwell in small communities in lonely mountain caves and among the rocky high places furthest from the interference of humans. While susceptible to sunlight and often dim-witted, trolls can be both malevolent and possessive of immense strength meaning that few would willingly cross their path or disturb their existence.

In a war-torn land, many a desperate soul has given itself up to cannibalism to survive through a desperate winter or a city under siege. For some, that taste of human flesh leaves a lingering desire for more. Banding together in depraved associations and libertine covens, a ghoul’s macabre fascination with death emboldens them to stalk the night looking for mortal morsels or willing acolytes to lure away from the light.

Revenants were once men who lived wicked lives and are now cursed with a restless death. Mindlessly shambling through the night, revenants are drawn to the sweet smell of the living with a desire only to spread death, destruction and decay. Unable to rest naturally, the most effective response to a revenant’s repeated visitation employs the use of wooden stakes, decapitation, and reburial with specific rituals.

More details and pics on my blog as normal.  :)
https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2024/03/more-monstrous-mayhem-for-devilry-afoot.html

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2024, 05:29:54 PM »
Very cool figures, great painting.
Love the outline of the rules.
Interesting battle posted on your blog.
Am looking forward to seeing more.
Semper Fi, Mac