Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 01:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696163
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Devilry Afoot - 16th-17th century monster hunting  (Read 12207 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:

Rarely known in Western Europe, whispers from the East, and from the wilds of Ireland, speak of insatiable, sentient revenants who have returned from their graves. The details vary as to the origins of these creatures, but the stories often begin with a despotic ruler making pacts with the Devil to prolong their tyranny. They invariably end with a soulless husk, stalking the night to find succour in the soft flesh and young blood of the innocent.

Vampyres are included in Devilry Afoot because they should be there, rather than because there was any great tradition in 16th-17th century Western Europe. However, they were certainly a feature of Eastern European belief from the late medieval period. The German Nachzehrer (a more static kind of vampiric being who remained in their own grave) where prominant enough to warrent theological texts against them in the late 17th century, and there were vampire panics in Central Europe from the early 18th century. So its not too much of a stretch to imagine a vampyr making his or her way west in the wake of the Wars of Religion.

I struggled to find an aethsthetic I liked for a 28mm 17th century vampyre. They are often overly fantastic or terribly Victorian in appearance. I ended up going for this nosferatu from Reaper Miniatures. He stands slightly taller than my hunters from Bloody Miniatures, so is imposing despire his understated appearance. I also like that he obviously has a soft spot for rats.

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
I love the vibrancy of the colors of your palettes! Your brushwork brings your figures to life!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
cor - another great paint-job (and great figure).

I'd consider 'Deviltry Afoot' - has the archaic resonance, and helps avoid mis-reading as delivery ?!  :D

Everytime I read it I see and hear Peter Cushing  8)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 03:17:12 PM by Bloggard »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Great work Nic

Looking forward to see how this game develops.

• Mad Scientist
I love the vibrancy of the colors of your palettes! Your brushwork brings your figures to life!

Thanks. I am starting to veer away from wash-heavy paint jobs. Coming from smaller scales, that used to be my default approach, but now every day is a learning day!

• Mad Scientist
Great work Nic

Looking forward to see how this game develops.

cor - another great paint-job (and great figure).

I'd consider 'Deviltry Afoot' - has the archaic resonance, and helps avoids mis-reading as delivery ?!  :D

Everytime I read it I see and hear Peter Cushing  8)

Thanks gents! To be fair, I first went to Divilry Afoot, but through that might be a bit to Ulster for most people!

• Mad Scientist

Here are the latest hunters off the work bench. The three men are all from Bloody Miniatures - the woman is from the Flint and Feather range by Crucible Crush Productions.

As usual, additional pictures and thoughts on my blog: https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/search/label/Devilry%20Afoot

It was a productive Christmas break, but sadly back at work now, so the painting will slow up.  :(

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
Those look great. As others mentioned great vibrancy to the colours. I also like that Nosferatu style vampire. I think I have that mini too in my pile.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Excellent work.  :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Lovely work, following with interest.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Superb painting jobs, I will follow your project with great interest.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Lovely paintjobs on those figures!

I'll dig out the references and PM you.

My working title is 'The Deville's Pact', though I also toyed with a range of other titles from snippets of Daemonologie text. That's a really good one to read too.

Cheers

• Mad Scientist
Thanks folks. And yes, Elk, do please PM me. Currently knee deep in the Island Magee witch trials. A little later (1711), but as detailed as it gets locally.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks folks. And yes, Elk, do please PM me. Currently knee deep in the Island Magee witch trials. A little later (1711), but as detailed as it gets locally.

Is that the Sneddon book? I've not read that one.

Edit: I've pm'd you
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 10:28:41 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mastermind
Wonderful painting, really brings your figures to life.