Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 10:59:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese Tower from Birdhouse (UPDATE FINISHED!)  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Chinese Tower from Birdhouse (UPDATE FINISHED!)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
Perhaps all European birds are racists, and woon't live in a Chinese-style house? All the birdhouses I can think of (in the UK) look a bit like cukoo-clocks.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »
Because Europeans have not been convinced they need to buy worthless crap in multiple different styles so that their birdhouses can match their interior/exterior decorating style.  lol

But you do have plenty of things that we can't get.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 06:39:34 PM »
My favourite bit of this is the way you've clipped out some of the struts from the cross-stitch mesh to make the pattern for the fencing - it's really effective! I'm so stealing that idea, even though I don't have a lovely pagoda-y birdhouse tower thing to put it on... I might just have to make a Chinese restaurant or something!

A great looking terrain piece, from a DIY store bargain plus some clever applications of simple techniques - nice work!

Thanks. I've used the plastic mesh for everything from fences, to windows to sci-fi/industrial flooring. I even used it once for the grate over a large pit on a dungeon board I built.

And it's the simple techniques that I like. Sure, I would love to build the beautiful terrain I see on here, but most of the time I don't have the time to spend on it. So, I make do with what I can get done quickly.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 09:50:12 PM »
That's my fave sort of terrain... obviously I'd love a fully-tectured architectural board, but in the real world, I like terrain pieces that look great, but are actually fairly easy to make... because I have neither the time nor the talent to do complex stuff! PLease don't think that by describing it as a bargain plus simple techniques I was knocking it all - it was meant as a compliment to your work that you took something basic and made it look great!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:26 AM »
Hmm, the Michael's here in town has these padoga-birdhouse-tower things too, tempting to wander down there this coming week... except I'm trying to save money for the convention in two weeks, dammit!

Reminds me of the Chinese School here in our Chinatown area, actually, built in 1909 with very Chinese styling - the curved tiled roof and details.

But I'm trying not to spend a cent on gaming before Trumpeter!  >:(