Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 07:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Next SALUTE INNSMOUTH game  (Read 11652 times)

Offline gregory privat

• Assistant
    • My Blog
Next SALUTE INNSMOUTH game
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
Hello,

I've just discovered your forum and this is kind of my introduction. I've been working on a game for next SALUTE based on Innsmouth for a year and a half (most of this time have been used to find rules and playtest on paper board, the real making started a few month ago). The game is still not completely finished but hoppefully it will be for SALUTE. I post here some pictures of the game as it appeared at the JFJ,  a french little convention. I hope that it will be of some interrest to you. The system used is based on Chain Reaction from THW. You may want to visit my blog there : http://gloarmy.blogspot.com/ (about miniatures in general) or my webpage there : http://gloarmy.free.fr/ (mainly about Gloranthan stuff)

Thanks,

Grégory Privat

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Next SALUTE INNSMOUTH game
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
That board is great, love the buildings all close together , the lighthouse, excellent stuff,

hope you finish it all in time.

dodge

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »
Interesting I am working on a Innsmouth too look here
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7251.0

It is much smaller and for 45 Adventure Games but it realy interesting me if you like my version of the Town .

Sad is that I can´t see all of your pictures I am sure I can get a few more Ideas for my Town .

Cheers Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
Wow, that is a great looking table, you have captured the atmosphere really well. It gives me the chills just looking at it. ;D :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
Quite a beautiful table :). Shame I cannot go to SALUTE, you people have too much fun.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline gregory privat

• Assistant
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »
I ve just looked your Innsmouth Grimm : it s fantastic. As I was watching it, i wondered : would you mind sending me the files of the various signs you used (gilmans, the docks, and the various posters in the streets) ? I was planning to add such material as one of the next step and it would save me a lot of time to use yours. If you prefer to keep them for your game only, I will understand and try to make some by myself. As a thank you, I can "give you" a house or a truck with a poster advertising "Grimm the signmaker" or something like that glued on it in the city )

My private mail in case you agree to share those files : gloarmy(at)free.fr

Greg

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
Wow! :-* :-* :-*

I am so tempted by all these cthulhu cities that people make!

You city looks gorgeous!

On another note - how do you play a cthulhu scenario?!?! I've read most of lovecrafts stories and they're often rather onesided and along the line of:
1. Everything all good, but the local genius is a bit strange behaving
2. Things start getting weird and strange sounds are heard from the woods/ancient city/waterside/whatever
3. A group of ad-hoc occult investigators (often with little or no knowledge of the occult) starts an investigation
4. Things get even weirder and somebody friend/foe goes mad
5. Plot thickens and investigators enter point of no return and get killed/go mad.
6. Other are warned not to pick of the leads.  lol

Seriously though I would like to know how you go about the "gamey" side of things.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
 :o Wow! Fantastic, absolutely fantastic! I think you have set the bar on wargaming Cthulhu, my friend!
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline gregory privat

• Assistant
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »
@Thorbjørn Nielsen :
The Shadow over Innsmouth novel is the one if any novel that can be played by wargamers. The first 3 paragraphs tell how the U.S. government sent the army, and even a submarine to destroy everything in the city. I ve never read Derleth's or other successor's novels, so if there s other novel of this kind, then i m not aware. So, how it is played ? My game see all the players playing little squads and having missions in Innsmouth during this offensive. I ve designed like 25-30 missions that are played with a maximum of 10 players at a time, with some special missions that interupt all the others. The Mithos is "played" by the rule system. At the JFJ, I had up to 10 players playing together. And as I ve simplified the rules to a maximum, they were playing alone with the demonstrator (your pal) only watching them ! The game looks a bit like black hawk down, but in 1927. The system make the population appear on you or the other players or just in empty streets and so, even if basiquely all the players are doing their own missions solo, they have an influence to each other and can also help each other (+ the climax missions that everyone must work on ). A good thing (for such a participation game) is that you can come, play a mission, go do some shopping, come back and eventually play another mission. I can t give more details on the missions as some of you may end playing that game in a convention and I don t want to spoil your (eventual) pleasure. Oh, the THW Chain Reaction system help a lot to make that game playable as it is (again, this is a slightly modified and heavily simplified Chain Reaction system).

I hope I m not too blurry in my explanations (french here),

@ others : thank you, your comments urge me to work more on making the game better )
Greg

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:33:53 PM »
Fantastic table. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline MAJIC Miniatures

• Student
    • MAJIC Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:16:06 PM »
Very Impressive! :o

I will be showing at Salute again this year, and will have to try and sneak away from my stand to see the game in action! I am very interested in the way you have developed the participation game, with the various missions. I look forward to seeing how it works.

With best wishes,

Oliver

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »
Wow! That looks fantastic! Would like to see some smaller detail shots if possible.

Offline gregory privat

• Assistant
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 06:06:56 PM »
I did put more pictures on my first post, but many disapeared : many it was above a quota or something ? You can have a lot of pictures there : http://gloarmy.blogspot.com/search/label/Innsmouth including some WIP pictures.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 06:32:07 PM »
I Try to send you the posters I use but the email was to big sorry wich Posters do you need ?

Offline gregory privat

• Assistant
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
Answered in a PM.