Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Questions Regarding Commissioning VSF Minis  (Read 1345 times)

Offline GARS1900

• Assistant
Questions Regarding Commissioning VSF Minis
« on: January 15, 2024, 05:36:43 AM »
I’ve got an itch I’ve been wanting to scratch for a while; I’ve always wanted to have a range of VSF/Pulp miniatures that could essentially be described as “Turn of the century Steampunk Ruritanians/Prussians with peaked caps.” There isn’t really much out there that really fits this exactly in the way I’d like, without a fair amount of compromise and messy conversions.

Instead, I was hoping to maybe find someone who might sculpt and make a small range of these guys in 28mm metal, in a sculpting style compatible with the bigger end of the scale (Copplestone, Brigade, GWM, North Star ect). Perhaps, five or six packs of four minis each. I’ve gathered this would be kinda expensive, but I’m not sure how much exactly, or who to really approach to do it. Any advice?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Questions Regarding Commissioning VSF Minis
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 05:15:23 AM »
24 figures in 28 mm might cost you into the thousands to have custom sculpted, perhaps several thousands. 

As far as how to go about it, find a sculptor you like, find contact information, and send an inquiry.  That's how I got some figures custom sculpted some years ago now - but in 15 mm and nothing to do with VSF.  It was pretty expensive on a per figure basis but you have to decide how badly you want the figures and whether or not you can afford to do it.

Once sculpted, figures then need to be 'mastered' and then a mold needs to be created and only then are the figures cast.  In my case, I can go back and have additional figures cast if I so desire - but I don't see any further need for more and have a large reserve if I do.

Hope that is helpful.

Offline GARS1900

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 03:19:56 AM »
That’s about what I expected, in terms of pricing. Do you have anyone you recommend? I’ve heard of Steve Barber and Edinburg Miniature Company. 

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 03:50:36 PM »
Sorry, no one I can recommend but try posting a request for sculptors currently taking commissions.  That's what I did - though it was on The Miniatures Page, not here on LAF, before that became too unpleasant to bother visiting, TMP I mean.

Probably use the general board for a start and maybe include a request to advise best board to use if not that one when posting.

Not sure the sculptor I used is still taking in work.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 08:33:57 PM »
A couple of additional thoughts:
1) You might want to have some concept art created to guide your sculptor.
2) Conversions are cheaper than new sculpts. See if you’re sculptor will convert the figures he makes for you to bulk up the numbers while keeping the costs down.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 03:33:55 PM »
Made a bit of a comment on TMP, but will repeat my final question here:

How close are the Zendarian Troopers to your needs?

Doug

Offline GARS1900

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 11:31:41 PM »
Citizen Sade

Do you mean ask if he convert miniatures he’s already sculpted  to something closer to what I want?

Offline GARS1900

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 11:34:47 PM »
The_Beast

In short, I like them, but the officers are wearing double breasted coats and are using revolvers. The enlisted have thick, obvious gloves and spiked helmets. I can remove the heads, but the gloves  are outside of my skill as a converter.

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 04:55:17 AM »
Do you mean ask if he convert miniatures he’s already sculpted  to something closer to what I want?
No, I mean that the sculptor uses a master casting of a figure that you paid him for and converts it to make a variant or variants. Typically, such variants have relatively minor differences e.g. heads and weapons. My experience from some years ago is that such conversions were one third of the cost of the original.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 07:28:07 AM »
Have you tried Eureka Miniatures? They did a ‘100 club’ where if 100 of a proposed figure was ordered, they would sculpt and cast it. An early ‘crowd funding’, if you will.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 04:20:20 PM »
Wasn't sure that was still a thing, Moriarty. Good thought!

GARS1900, just to repeat from elsewhere, I was confused by Officers and Enlisted when Old Glory lists both as 'Troopers'. Another suggestion would be to buy some of each, make some head swaps and paint to suppress 'gloves' for enlisted.

Leave a few officers with pistols, easier to make particular pistols. Or, buy some bare-headed, saber-slashing 'hunters' (sorry,  OG Vampyre Slayers) as officers?

May still not be your cuppa, but might match someone else's parameters.

Doug

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 04:30:45 PM by The_Beast »