Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 08:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FT for Operation Sea Lion  (Read 2694 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: FT for Operation Sea Lion
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »
Glad it was helpful - I put them together a few years ago when i was getting my head around the British markings.

And thanks for clarifying about the white square - I've clearly mixed these and the gas markings up

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »
I did too, no harm, no foul though. The squares were painted over or smeared with mud once the fighting started, they made too good an aiming point.

The 1939 regs had the geometric shapes as solid colours. The number you see in them is often quoted as the troop or platoon number. At least one RTR unit kept the solid shapes when the switch to outline was made in 1940 iirc. One of the RTR battalions apparently used purple instead of the usual red, yellow and blue seniority system.

Serial squares were coloured for the brigade, 1st Armoured Div had red and green for its two. Divisional troops used black. The number apparently went from generic types (e.g. all Div Cavalry used '2') to specific numbers for individual units.

All that being said, there's so much apparent confusion about these markings that I doubt it would be difficult to contradict the above.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »
I did too, no harm, no foul though. The squares were painted over or smeared with mud once the fighting started, they made too good an aiming point.

Sorry, on my phone earlier.

It is interesting how often recognition marks(often peace time ones) end up being covered up in the field, as they prove more useful to the enemy as target points.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:16 PM »
Can't help you with the information I'm afraid, but it's an intriguing idea... you've now got me thinking about whether I ought to add a repurposed French vehicle or two to my (fairly ahistorical) British WW2 desert force. They must have picked a few up in Syria...

A number of captured Renault R-35s were used by the 6th Divisional Cavalry  Regiment attached to the 7th Australian Division in Syria.  Now if you want a truly exotic formation, their organisation in the Syrian campaign is what you want.  In addition to fielding, MkVI light tanks, Bren carriers and the above mentioned Renaults, the regiment also raised a horse mounted troop, known as the Kelly Gang.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
Thanks all. Yes, the big patches make excellent aiming points.

Interesting about the Australians. There are a couple of photographs in the Bryan Perret(? Not to hand so spelling is a guess) book showing Italian tanks sporting large painted kangaroos as identification marks.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »
Thanks all. Yes, the big patches make excellent aiming points.

Interesting about the Australians. There are a couple of photographs in the Bryan Perret(? Not to hand so spelling is a guess) book showing Italian tanks sporting large painted kangaroos as identification marks.

Yes, M13/40s captured during the advance to Tripolitania and used by the Div Cav in and around Tobruk.

Aust Div cav regiments lead varied lives. In the SW Pacific, they were reorganised into 'commando' regiments, in reality independent infantry companies when the divisions converted to the Tropical Pattern.