Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:00:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Matt Varnish  (Read 1822 times)

Offline steve29651

• Bookworm
Matt Varnish
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »
The old chestnut, I used AP Strong Tone Dip, and now having got the hang of it are left with the old problem,
Yes, you now, what is coming, what varnish to get rid of the gloss.
I use at present Figures in Comfort Matt Deluxe Spray, it always leaves some bits still gloss, so I spray again, I can do this three to four times, sometimes not always getting rid of the gloss.
So I tried brush on Vallejo Polyurethane Matt Varnish, is their some secret to using this, as about 30% of the model is still gloss.
Advice Please.

Steve M

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Matt Varnish
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »
The Vallejo matt varnishes are usually good (if you've an airbrush, you get a better finish throught that, but thin it first). Otherwise, the best results I've had is with Windsor & Newton Professional - they're a standard 400ml rattlecan but not that cheap (£13-15 in the UK) - whatever you spray it on will be matt by the time you're finished.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
Couldn't agree more about the Windsor and Newton professional Matt varnish spray and its brush on variety, they are by far the best varnish I've ever used (and I've used a few).
Make sure you get the "professional" and not the "general purpose" varnish (they come in very similar tins) as the gp version has a slight sheen.
I've used it countless times and never had a problem with frosting and it is as flat as any Matt varnish could be, lovely stuff.
I've got a shed load of pictures of figures on this forum all have recieved the treatment from this varnish, if you want to see the finished product.

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »
Here in the US I swear by Testors spray Matte Lacquer(Hobby Stores)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:14 PM »
Here in the US I swear by Testors spray Matte Lacquer(Hobby Stores)

I used to, too. My memory is very hazy, but I have half an idea that it was withdrawn from sale for a while here in Europe a good few years ago, something to do with it containing carcinogens or something like that. Some time later it came back on sale (presumably in a new formula) but was never quite the same, never quite as matt as it had been, always had a little bit of a shine. I stopped using it soon after. So it may well be that the European and US Testors are no longer the exact same product. Depending on where steve29651 resides, it might be something to bear in mind.

But as I said, my memory on this is weak, it was a long time ago. I may be mistaken, or it might just be a dream I once had. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:53:44 PM »
I'd also reccomend the Winsor and Newton.

I used to use the Army Painter one, but found it not so good, wasn't really matt, and the nozzles seem prone to breaking (happened to me on several of their cans, not just the varnish).

You might need to give it 2 or 3 coats for a true matt finish, that's what I do.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:06:07 AM »
I use the army painter stuff and found it worked like a charm.

After using their dip, it just needs a very light dusting of dull coat.

I haven't had any problem with the nozzle.

Granted, I haven't used it in a while and I'm still on my first can.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 10:57:32 AM »
I find the Humbrol Matt Cote pretty good.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 11:10:44 AM »
Regarding what I said earlier about Testors, I feel I should say that I find the brush-on variety of Dullcote to be excellent. It's the spray cans that I gave up on.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 11:44:46 AM »
The gloss varnish (or, in this case, the AP dip) is what's really providing the model with protection, so the matte coating is purely cosmetic.

If the spray-on matte varnish is mostly covering, and you're just getting little recessed bits of the model where the spray isn't reaching, then I'd say it's a safe assumption that these areas will never be rubbed off through handling either.

I would therefore suggest that after one or two passes with the spray, you try applying a watered-down thin coat of matte medium once everything is fully dry. This will make all remaining areas matte, it's easy to use/apply, cheap, and won't be rubbed off during use.

Offline Gary Peach

• Scientist
  • I paint to live, not live to paint.
    • www.marchattack.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
Molotow - Belton Premium - Clear Matt.  Its a graffiti artist paint.  Cans 400ml for £4.  I just ordered 8 cans of paint, mix colours - postage £7.60 - total 4.95 a can.  Ive used in in all weathers and all temps.  Good matt finish that really matts out after a few days too.  Ive used it on all acrylics, colour washes, emulsions, etc etc and no issues.  Used it for a few years too.  www.graff-city.com

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
Winsor and Newton of me as well. Brush on works well and has never frosted on me - which many others have.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »
Regarding what I said earlier about Testors, I feel I should say that I find the brush-on variety of Dullcote to be excellent. It's the spray cans that I gave up on.

Oddly enough, I've just used Testors' Dullcote for the first time in years and was well satisfied with the result. It's hard to find my old standard Wattyl Flat Estapol around here since Bunnings became effectively a hardware monopoly so I had bought a tin of Tamiya Flat Varnish. Tamiya products are usually fine but this would not move beyond a satin finish despite a repeat dose after the first coat drying. the Testors on the other hand worked like a charm.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline steve29651

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 08:31:29 PM »
All, Thank you for all your advice, I have ordered a can of Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Varnish from E bay, so will update this forum after I have used it.
I used Testors Dullcote for years, in the spray can, only had a problem once or twice, and living in the North West of England may have been the damp conditions.

Thanks again from all of you.

Steve M