Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Victrix EIR helmet help !  (Read 1631 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
New Victrix EIR helmet help !
« on: May 08, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »
Hi. As a complete Roman novice I need some help please.
Having been inspired by a couple of threads here that have show cased these figures I bought myself a set of the EIR Attacking. There are 2 slightly different helmets on the sprues and I am unsure which type would be historically accurate to use for the period AD 205 - 215 on troops stationed in Britain (I've ordered shield transfers for Legio VI Victrix).
One type of helmet has a plain crown except for a couple of 'nipples' either side and the other type has a thin band running across the crown from left to right. I've Googled this but am non the wiser from all the different types of helmet information I've come across.
Could I use a mixture of the 2 or was one type more relevant for the period ?
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Regards

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: New Victrix EIR helmet help !
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:18:12 AM »
which type would be historically accurate to use for the period AD 205 - 215 on troops stationed in Britain (I've ordered shield transfers for Legio VI Victrix)

Strictly speaking, neither would be. The Victrix set represents legionaries from an earlier period, approximately 70 to 150 AD and with a bit of leeway either side. After that equipment  became distinctively different. For reference have a look at this reenactor's HP.

Also, hope they didn't sell you legion specific transfers, as there is no such thing. ;)

Sorry, but it doesn't get any more accurate. Use the set anyway you like. :)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:10:30 AM »
Whooops !! Thanks for the info Mad Doc Morris. Like I said......I'm a complete Roman novice, I bet the 120 odd people that have viewed this think I'm real thicko !
Well I can still use them against uprising tribes north of the Antonine Wall.
As to the transfers, they didn't. I ordered those because I wanted to represent a Legion that was based in Britain within my time frame.

Regards

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
I think it depends on what source you read,but the segmenta started to fall out of use in the Late second/early third century, I am sure I have seen a website, the Roman army website one(?) Where there are examples of third century segmenta.So I would use these figures for the period stated.You could always mix in some figures from the A&A miniatures Middle Imperial Roman range to suggest the Legion in transition.
Some symbols were attached to the various Legions but whether they were used on shield designs is unknown.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I think it depends on what source you read,but the segmenta started to fall out of use in the Late second/early third century, I am sure I have seen a website, the Roman army website one(?) Where there are examples of third century segmenta.So I would use these figures for the period stated.You could always mix in some figures from the A&A miniatures Middle Imperial Roman range to suggest the Legion in transition.
Some symbols were attached to the various Legions but whether they were used on shield designs is unknown.

Sound advice regarding A&A. For later 2nd century you might also take a closer look at Aventine's period-specific range.

With Victrix' EIR devil's in the details though. Yes, there's evidence for laminated armour in use during the 3rd century. However, these types looked different. The Victrix legionaries seem to wear Corbridge-style armour, which is commonly dated to the (late) 1st century AD. Soldiers of the 2nd and 3rd century would rather use Newstead-types or variations thereof (larger plates and hinges).
But even if you ignore such relatively minor issues, in sum sidearms, caligae, and the use of Weisenau helmets put this set firmly into the – very broad – 1st/2nd century bracket.
Again, this shouldn't trouble anyone using this set for earlier or later periods. It's just not as 'accurate' as it could be. :)

PS: For a 'genealogy' of Roman helmets I recommend this overview.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 02:02:16 PM »
There's not much to add to the good advice already given. Personally, the Victrix EIR are best used for the wars till the reign of Commodus.

The shield designs are very colourful and make the models stand out. However the image on the vexillum may not have been shown on the shields, so it's ??? for some of them specifically attached to a legion.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info and the link to helmet types, I'm now a little bit wiser for it all ;)

Regards