Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:05:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Charlie's 15th century - Some long-overdue Burgundians! (Feb 28)  (Read 152710 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Charlie's 15th century - Loads of infantry! (June 18th)
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
Cracking collection  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
Great work, they look great ranked up together. Can't wait to see more.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
Looking good Charlie.
Some very nice plastic builds in there  8)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 06:44:42 AM »
 :o :o :-* :-*
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 09:46:41 AM »
Thanks, glad you all like them!

There are plenty more on the way, I'll just wait into they are 'photo ready' in suitable large units.

As said before, a lot of them are undergoing a re-arranging process. I've got just as many longbowmen as I do billmen/halberdiers, and they are being re-done as an English mercenary company.

I've also by now grown tired of painting Perry plastic infantry, in particular the bodies from the WOTR / Mercenaries boxes (I have done a LOT of them so far), so I'm now enjoying working on cavalry, and painting lots of their metal range (they seem to be getting done much quicker than the plastics for some reason).

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
These look amazing charlie. That banner with the lady on it looks awesome too. If you wouldnt mind sharing it i'd love to use one of those for one of my projects. All of them collected looks great. you have quite the collection there.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 05:45:45 PM »
That banner with the lady on it looks awesome too. If you wouldnt mind sharing it i'd love to use one of those for one of my projects.

I'd be happy to share it. PM on the way!

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »
These really are fantastic! The big units look great - I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to work my way through the 12 WotR infantry boxes I've accumulated and I can only hope they turn out half as nicely as yours look.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Charlie's 15th century - Italian crossbows and handguns (July 1st)
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 10:37:47 PM »
I'm trying to work up the enthusiasm to work my way through the 12 WotR infantry boxes I've accumulated

That's a lot of boxes! Good luck!
I don't know how many plastic Perry boxes I've got through with this project, it's  not as many as 12 of the WOTR ones, but over 12 overall, of the 5 different boxes.

This week I finished painting up some of the Perry metals - the Italian handgunners and crossbowmen, who will be welcome as mercenaries for my German project.

Nothing special here, but it's a chance to try out some brighter colours. I really like these sculpts, they are in such great poses you can't really get with the plastic kits.

The varnish is barely dry, and they are being recruited for their first battle tomorrow! I plan to take lots of photos and write up a full battle report. Watch this space....

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 04:27:51 AM »
Nice collection of figures.
Love them.
Plastic Perry's are great.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 05:29:57 AM »
Very nice!

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »
Lovely stuff Charlie :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »
Well I had a game today, and took notes and pics for a battle report, but completely forgot to take any close-up shots except this one! (and even then it could have come out better)

Anyway, here the set-up...

This was a game with my friend Shaun who I have been getting into wargaming recently, using my collection. He's won all the games he's played so far!

The vague setting is some sort of low level border dispute / private war somewhere in medieval Germany, with lots of mercenaries involved (including the Company Of The Rose, longbowmen under veteran English soldier Sir John Doe).

The scenario saw the forces arriving on the table in two waves. The defender (Shaun, in red on the map) started with an advance guard of 10 men-at-arms and 10 crossbowmen set up within the walled fields. His light/medium cavalry entered from the far corner on turn one, and the rest of his infantry (mostly consisting of the Company of the Rose, plus his commander) entered anywhere on his table edge on turn 2. I (in green on the maps) had my army divided into two divisions, and I had to write down in secret which would enter on turn 1 (and at which entry point), and which on turn 2 (again at which entry point).

These were the forces.... First, Shaun's advance guard.

And the rest of his forces - his commander and one unit of halberds, his cavalry, plus the large Company of the Rose.

My first division, featuring my commander leading the cavalry (heavier than Shaun's horse), plus some halberds and longbowmen.

And my second division, featuring two big units of men-at-arms / bills, plus detachments of crossbows, handguns and longbows (including the new Italians).

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
So this is what happened. My commander's division entered the field opposite Shaun's horse.

Who scurried out of the way as I advanced towards them.

They had a near miss when the rest of our forces entered the game, but they managed to make it across to the other side to threaten the flank of my newly arrived infantry.
Shaun's infantry mostly formed a strong battleline to hold against my commander's division, whilst a couple of units entered the fields to assist the defenders there. Their commander watched from his horse.

There was missile fire throughout the game, but it didn't prove too game-changing on either side. I was nervous of my cavalry heading straight towards a mass of longbowmen, but it seems these apparent veterans weren't very effective at range! However two arrows did actually hit my commander, but luckily they both glanced off his armour.

I had to reform some of my forces to face the threat of Shaun's cavalry now on my flank, whilst my heaviest infantry unit assaulted the walls which were defended by some seriously outnumbered crossbowmen.... but completely failed to shift them!

Meanwhile my cavalry had charged into Shaun's right flank with infantry close behind.... But it didn't go well for them and they failed to break through.

There was skirmishing around the walls with missiles from both sides. Some of Shaun's advance guard also leapt out from their position to attack a small group of Italian handgunners at close quarters.

Meanwhile on my left, the infantry had come to support the failed cavalry charge but it was too late. Both of my units were broken, and I lost my commander - Shaun's infantry surged forward in pursuit.

I was sure my heavy infantry unit would make it over the wall, but amazingly Shaun's defenders still held, as his commander rode up to offer his support.

However I had some brief satisfaction when my Italian handgunners managed to not only survive being assaulted by some heavily armoured men-at-arms, but managed to beat them back! Shaun's cavalry meanwhile had charged some of my longbowmen and were driving them back towards my remaining unengaged halberds, who were a bit unsure of what to do and remained in place.

However with my left wing broken and my commander dead, things didn't look good. Some Italian crossbowmen were the first to turn and run (with their employer dead, they didn't see much need to stick around!). Shaun's right wing advanced on my flank, and it was looking like I was going to be surrounded as I had failed to break through the walls. Thus I conceded defeat, and my second-in-command negotiated peace terms with the enemy!

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Very nice battle report. I am still very impressed with the vastnes of your force. Great stuff to see.