Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spectre: Operation Cabin Fever  (Read 7839 times)

Offline Maxx Von Morton

• Scientist
Re: Spectre: Operation Cabin Fever
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
Great paintjob!  :)

I also use 25 mm bases with no problems...

I like you posted your scenario and armylist! There are so many ideas all around here, we should have a dedicated thread where to share all these infos...  :P

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 08:20:18 AM »
They look good.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 11:20:47 PM »
On the note of bases I did eventually when Spectre stocked up buy some 60 20mm bases from them which hopefully will last awhile. But it's good to know the 25mm ones work just as fine for people.

Found a little time in today to paint more, so did the last two of the Deniable Range from Spectre. I've all my primed things done now so will have to turn to the next bits, some militia and a ranger who will be my first forray into painting camo.

Inspired by Chargeblog among others I have been toying with the idea of an imagination of some sort as I feel that really can apply to the sort of narrative gaming which I enjoy, so been going through various pratical elements such as terrain. Desert terrain has an appeal in its simplicity among other things, you can get away with a lot less in the way of trees and other flora in contrast to say a jungle, or even a more temperate forest.

One idea I've been playing with is a American imagination, something in the vein of Mexico but smaller. A nation which has become unstable due to the prominent cartels in the area,a goverment which is fighting to stabilize the nation, with a close relationship with the USA and Mexico who both have an interest in stabilizing the region. I feel it might limit me too much, to largely have the enemy be in the form of criminal elements, although powerful, rather than nation states or similar organizations.

I'm mostly just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks currently, but hopefully something more concrete will come to mind eventually.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 01:24:45 AM »
One idea I've been playing with is a American imagination, something in the vein of Mexico but smaller. A nation which has become unstable due to the prominent cartels in the area,a goverment which is fighting to stabilize the nation, with a close relationship with the USA and Mexico who both have an interest in stabilizing the region. I feel it might limit me too much, to largely have the enemy be in the form of criminal elements, although powerful, rather than nation states or similar organizations.

I'm mostly just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks currently, but hopefully something more concrete will come to mind eventually.

I like this idea very much!

Looking forward to see how it develops!

In a "Banana Republic"-type Imagi-Nation you can have narco criminals, revolutionary guerrilla, local militia, government forces (including paramilitary "death squads"), CIA folks, DEA agents, Special US Operatives (as military "advisors"), PMC forces from several different countries/companies, UN troops/helpers, etc...  

And of course the Evil Mastermind in his secret island/volcano base...   :D

Check it out: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BananaRepublic

And this blog entry has a very nice example of game in such a country, with lots of things happening at once in the same table: http://jjwargames.blogspot.com.br/2016/12/viva-los-locos-just-another-day-in-san.html

;)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:39:40 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
Renedra do 20mm bases (I use them for 15mm figures and other things).

My main source is Perry WW2 sets, though you should be able to get them direct.

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:50:29 PM by Olsson »

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
So I've been reading a bit on the Spectre Rulebook and considering Off Table Assets I had a question. It makes note that once you call for the support you mark an impact point and the turn wait. How do people who play usually handle this? Both the option of putting down a marker and making a note on a map and keeping it secret are mentioned. If a marker is used the other play is obviously well aware of that.

So do people usually play for it openly? Saying what you are calling in, if you fail/succeed, mark down where it is and how long until it hits and count on people to not react to such "out of character" information? Seeing as they would have no idea you have called for whatever Asset you are using.

Or do people keep all or some bits of it secret and play on a honor system?

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:40 PM »
Or do people keep all or some bits of it secret and play on a honor system?

We do this way, because we feel that the secrecy and surprise fits the mood of the game perfectly.

Never had a problem with what you call a "honor system", because non-honorable people know better to stay far away from our games table!  :D

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »
Looks great! I also think the idea of a Latin American Imagination sounds interesting...

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:03 PM »
Looks great! I also think the idea of a Latin American Imagination sounds interesting...

And they can be fun as hell!  lol

Take a look: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BananaRepublic

(lots of links and folders to be open, but GREAT stuff!)

;)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
And they can be fun as hell!  lol

Take a look: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BananaRepublic

(lots of links and folders to be open, but GREAT stuff!)

;)
Anyone who clicks on that link will not get any work done,let alone any hobby stuff.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
Anyone who clicks on that link will not get any work done,let alone any hobby stuff.

lol lol lol lol lol

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
So I've been writing up my imagination and settled on a few factions, since I am not gonna be in the MENA area I was gonna ask if people have any suggestions for where to find miniatures for civilian clad rebel/militia-esque miniatures without the traditional middle east-signifyers. So far I mostly know of some of the Spectre ones for that as even their MENA aren't all turbans.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
So I've been writing up my imagination and settled on a few factions, since I am not gonna be in the MENA area I was gonna ask if people have any suggestions for where to find miniatures for civilian clad rebel/militia-esque miniatures without the traditional middle east-signifyers. So far I mostly know of some of the Spectre ones for that as even their MENA aren't all turbans

LOTS of very cheap Western civilians of all kinds from Heroclix!  ;)

Take a look: http://x-actoscience.blogspot.com.br/2013/05/heroclix-your-best-source-for-modern.html

Some of them are really good sculpts, easy to convert, scale perfectly with Spectre miniatures and can look AWESOME with the right paint job!

(Ok, this Drax repaint is a now Cartel sicario (hitman) and not a proper "civilian", but you've got the idea!  lol):

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:11:19 AM by dinohunterpoa »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »
Spectre has their Latin American range.

Hassefree has a vast range of excellent modern miniatures.

Crooked Dice has a number of "Programmes" that might meet your needs plus the always useful Minions range (as used by Chargedog).

I will post some links and pictures later.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:16:07 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »