Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Significant Others  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Galman

• Scientist
Significant Others
« on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:34 PM »
Well folks, for the past year or so, I have been trying to get the Mrs. to join me in the mini wargames.  At first she got into the painting.  Painting some nice Brets from WHFB.  The playing part is the kicker, I know Fantasy is a rough one to start with, all those stingent rules and so many of them.

For awhile i have been wanting to get into historical gamming for something different than fantasy type stuff.  I chose Western due to being a huge Western movie and books fan and my son and wife likes them too.  Now she said she MIGHT give it a whirl, so what I was thinking is ordering an all female gang for her to paint and play with.

Anyone have these similar issues?

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
Re: Significant Others
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
Ummmmm, no.
You're very lucky.
My interests are "tolerated". Just.  lol
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Galman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
Shes pretty cool about, will go to the hobby shop with me or for me if shes out and about.  For my 30th Bday, she got an Apocalypse game for 40k together at the shop and we played into all the wierd hours of the night.  I am very lucky.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
ure absolutely lucky....

my mrs has 2 brothers that plays game since she was young, so she is... kind of allergic... :(:(:(

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »
My wife has absolutely no interest in gaming, but she does like to look at whatever I am working on once in a while. I think that is partly due to the fact that I do comission work and she wants to make sure I'm not wasting time on my own stuff though. ;)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
Tollerated is definately the word that best describes wargaming and my relationship.
Although she once briefly mentioned wanting to try and paint something so maybe there is hope!

Offline Galman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:43:56 PM »
There you go Mr J.  Dont pressure, find out what she likes, which you should know already and perhaps by a figure of that and lay it on her desk or something.  She might just pick up the brush and go at it.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »
You never know. . .
I'm off to Triples next month I might have a look for something there

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:59:50 PM »
I've currently got paints and brushes in bed with us, and she doesn't seem to overly mind, so I think I'm doing alright...

[Edit:] and she just suggested we watch Empire Strikes Back because she's never seen it all the way through - Not wanting to sound smug or anything, but...   ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:07:52 PM by myincubliss »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 12:27:08 AM »
Nice!! I envy you lol

Offline Galman

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 12:41:40 AM »
SCORE!  I great feat in its own!

Offline Terrible Tim

• Scientist
    • The Wargamer
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »
My wife barely looks at anything I paint, even when I wave it under her nose. I can really complain, she has never said that I can't game, she just has no interest.

TT.
...Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen....

Blog: www.the-wargamer.com

Offline MuleSkinner

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
my missus is the same as most i suppose, sees it all as a complete waste of money that we could be spending on daft things like food and bills and other mindboggling stuff to me.
Minor skin grafts can be performed on pigs by covering any cuts and grazes with thin strips of bacon.

Offline Muddypaw

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »
I've managed to get my partner into Role Playing so far. We are currently playing a D&D 4e game with her and my son, who are both new to RPG's.

She shows an interest in my painting and isn't afraid to critisize flaws when I wave my current project under her nose but I dont think she'll ever want to paint.

I dont plan on introducing her quite yet to tabletop miniature gaming. Maybe after a few more months Role Play indoctrination I will try out a game with RP elements, something like .45 Adventures, for her and my son. As he's already into the whole GW hobby at least 2 of us will have a clue  ;D

It helps that she was already into Sci-Fi, Fantasy and War movies before we met so she isn't completely baffled by what I do  o_o

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
My girlfriend looks at my grey resin casts and says that if she got them in the post she would think it was actual rubbish and throw it in the bin. She does like the plants though and has some painted ones I did on top of her telly. But she is no gamer, although she does like stuff like settlers of catan, carcossone and worms.