Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:14:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690834
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A (Quickly) Painted WF zombie + size comparison  (Read 12236 times)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Re: A (Quickly) Painted WF zombie + size comparison
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
Not bad, they look decent enough for the horde to me.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline crisis_core

• Student
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 01:52:30 AM »
Wow! Detail-wise they arent perfect, but as most people have said, they are damn good for hordes.
$50AU for 2 boxes, supplying 48 zombies (as they come out for me due to the postage costs :() ain't too bad especially as GW makes you fork out $50 for just under half that number >:(

Definately going to look into these!

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 02:24:37 AM »
Yeah, and they've hands the size of someone with cancerous palms >:D.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 03:09:59 AM »
Thanks for the shots , I think Audreys photos show they are good sizewise . I'm not so sure on the details though as I like making my Zombies look good.
I might get some sprues when I order some ECW ones and see how they paint up for myself.
First though I'm going to do all the lead Zombies I can.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »
Nice pictures guys, here are a few of mine with scale comparisons for your reference. I put a bit of effort into these figs to see how nice I could make them look. Overall, I think they compare to GW quality wise. It's a different sculpting style for sure, a much more realistic scale certainly, but I think that is to the line's credit. They look very realistic compared to the cartoony miniatures I am used to (don't get me wrong, I like the cartoony stuff too!). I would highly recommend them.

From left to right: Hasslefree Alyx, Wargames Factory Zombie, West Winds NAM range platoon leader, Wargames Factory Zombie, and West Winds later Road Kill line Cop.

Overall, they will work on the table for me. The variation in size isn't much different than the variation we see from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even withing manufacturers (look at that NAM fig compared to the cop!).

WF zombies: great stuff!

n.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
Great paint jobs!

I note from the comments on your blog, that:

"In 1/56 scale, hair would simply appear textureless. Unfortunately this leaves it to the painter to paint the texture on. "

Is that really true - i honestly don't know - even if that is the case, i would have thought some compromises could have been made to produce a figure that is easier to paint?

Its also the first time i've ever heard Hasslefree figures described as "larger"... ;)

I really admire your work, but honestly still can't decide if the figures warrant the effort you've gone to.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 04:38:24 PM »
As for the hair, it seems to be an issue with that particular head only. The other heads with hair actually seem to have texture, so I updated my blog in regards to that. Honestly I think it's just that the company is relatively new, and so the sculptors are working out the kinks. It has never stopped me from buying figs before.

As for Hasslefree, aren't they on the bigger side? Even beside some GW stuff I think they are in some cases. Big in a fun cartoony way that most miniatures are, but big none the less :) I would recommend the WF figs, they are a lot of fun on top of everything else :) Now, I can hardly wait until WF releases their 28mm vikings! I have 200 unpainted, I want 200 more!!!!!

Thanks,
n.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
Thanks for posting and nice piccies. I guess the way you painted them is about as good as it gets with these models detail-wise (unless you really want to paint everything on freehand). The legs of the army Zed are the shortest on the sprue and the only pair that really looks too small, the other legs are much better in size and proportion.

I built one of the WF zeds and in size they line up with other 28mm's (EM4) quite well but they are slimmer, like Cold War zombies. I would have liked slightly bigger heads as at the moment they are pretty tiny but overall they're fine filler I think.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 07:13:17 PM »
Thanks for posting and nice piccies. I guess the way you painted them is about as good as it gets with these models detail-wise (unless you really want to paint everything on freehand). The legs of the army Zed are the shortest on the sprue and the only pair that really looks too small, the other legs are much better in size and proportion.

It could be as good as it gets... I appreciate the kinds words, but I am sure a more talented painter could do more :)

As far as the legs go, you have opened that can of worms on scale really :) With your average miniature, bent legged or not, the figures tend to stand about the same size. Note the Road Kill cop on the far right hand side of the image; he's leaning back, but is as tall as a 28mm mini could be! With the army zombie there, they bent the legs and actually kept them the correct proportion to his body, making him look shorter... Which is technically correct, just not what we are used to :)

I am looking forward to the female Wargames Factories zombies to be honest!

thanks,
n.

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 09:47:13 PM »
I am looking forward to the female Wargames Factories zombies to be honest!

If only we could get more people to sign up. ;)
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline Unforgiven

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
Just pre-ordered 5.
I hope people will pre order some!

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 01:53:59 AM »
Thanks for the photo , you've made a good job of the painting . I'm still undecided about them though , but that could be me just running out of enthusiasm with painting Zombies as I'm on the 100 mark now.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »
that could be me just running out of enthusiasm with painting Zombies as I'm on the 100 mark now.

Take a break for a few days and maybe paint some survivors....or have a go at a couple of conversions - painting shouldn't become a chore!

For example, what happens when a zombie gets attacked by a bunch of students armed with a paintball gun....?

;)

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »
Those p[lastic zombies are such awful models, I really cant see why anyone would waste money on tat like that....

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
Those p[lastic zombies are such awful models, I really cant see why anyone would waste money on tat like that....

24 zombies for ?14, my friend. I've been tempted several times, but haven't given in... yet (the first time I was tempted I bought from you instead, the second time from Studio Miniatures. I'm not sure what will happen if I get tempted a third time...)