Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 685
Total: 691

Recent

Author Topic: Primer woes (US)  (Read 1879 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
Primer woes (US)
« on: June 26, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
For years (decades?) I've used Krylon spray primer. Goes on even in light coats, sticks to the figures... great stuff. The past few years its been getting harder to find. Most of the chain hardware, craft, and other stores (I'm in the US) seem to be dropping all brands other than Rustoleum. I've tried several cans of Rustoleum primer now and have had horrible experiences. Second worst primer I've ever used.

I've been on a quest the past two months to find ANY other brand of primer other than Rustoleum.... with no luck.

Anyone else experiencing the Rustoleum hegemony?

What primers are you using?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Primer woes (US)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 06:47:05 PM »
3 Krylons left, and now my Walmart doesn't seem to have it any more either! They had a few gray left last visit, so maybe I should stock up. I've got a can of the P3 from Privateer but I can't bear to crack the seal on it in case I want to.return it to make a down payment on a house!😉

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
For years I have been a disciple of black gesso. So forgive me if I sound preachy.

A lot of people are put off by paining it on. But I find it just as quick as spraying. And with no hassle. There is no nasty smell, you have higher control and can use it in all weather conditions.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:35:29 PM »
 I've had good results from Belton Molotow Premium - an artists rattlecan & not expensive (around a fiver a can in the art supply shops near me) - but I'm in the UK so don't know about availability for you. It is at the shinier end of satin finish after a couple of coats, but if it's for primer/undercoat that shouldn't matter.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 01:40:13 AM »
I have been using Rustoleum lately and not had any problems, rubs off around the metal washer I use for basing but I have sorted that out by mounting the figure on a card painting base or using wine corks so taht I don`t touch the base with my fingers.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:21:36 AM »
I am having similar issues with local stores no longer carrying Krylon Matte.  The Rustoleum is still a satin mislabeled as a matte.  Their nozzles plug constantly (because they can't be sprayed clean upside down), and they will react with any other paint by causing it to craze if you don't give it 3-4 days to dry, yet they are taking over the market.
 :?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:21:51 AM »
I am having that exact same issue.  I bought a can of Rustoleum and ended up having to remove all of it from the figures and respraying with Krylon.  I thought it might just be me, but I guess I am not the only one.  I have had cans of Rustoleum that have been just fine, but I have not had a bad can of Krylon.  It is just more consistently good that Rustoleum.

I get my Krylon cans from Hobby Lobby in the US.  Walmart seems to have stopped carrying them.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 04:01:36 AM »
For years (decades?) I've used Krylon spray primer. Goes on even in light coats, sticks to the figures... great stuff. The past few years its been getting harder to find. Most of the chain hardware, craft, and other stores (I'm in the US) seem to be dropping all brands other than Rustoleum. I've tried several cans of Rustoleum primer now and have had horrible experiences. Second worst primer I've ever used.

I've been on a quest the past two months to find ANY other brand of primer other than Rustoleum.... with no luck.

Anyone else experiencing the Rustoleum hegemony?

What primers are you using?

Try Michael's, the one here has a large stock of Krylon of all sorts.

Personally, I use gesso and am happy with it.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:17:42 AM »
Are you referring to the Krylon camo paint, or to Krylon in general? Sadly, not all of the Krylon camo colo(u)rs made it to Canada - apparently, we don't have sand (sand) or deciduous trees (leaf green)?

Offline MYNKD

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 07:32:29 AM »
I highly recommend either gesso or an airbrush (which I just use to apply normal paint, seems to work about as well as actual primer does).

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
I may try gesso again. I use it for priming vinyl toys, since the vinyl reacts with the solvents in the sprays. I had tried it out on some minis years ago. Although it seemed to work OK, I still felt the spray was more convenient (aside from having to wait for ideal weather to use it.) The gesso should be consistent & reliable, at least.

Offline RichBuilds

• Assistant
    • RichBuilds.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
I've switched exclusively to Ultimate Modelling Products primer (it's rebadged STYNYLREZ). You'll need an airbrush to apply it, but it's a water based, self leveling primer that works on plastic, resin, foam, wood & metal and comes in a range of colours. If you're using an airbrush I can highly recommend their thinner and cleaner too! :-)
Check out my blog dedicated to scratchbuilt terrain and model building: http://www.richbuilds.com

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Another gesso nut here for metals and resins. go whole hog and get the good liquitex one and it'll last you forever. Pretty tough and lovely, detail preserving finish. Do leave 24 hours though, especially if (like me) you use a lot of washes or 'wet' paints.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Another gesso nut

Ditto, never did like spray primer and Humbrol matt black is more like tar nowadays.
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 06:16:03 AM »
I use Dupli-Color Primer rattle can - in black, gray and white. You want the sandable version. It dries dead flat. Its available in the US from Advanced Auto Parts, and Orileys automotive. I find it one of the best primers and a can lasts a good long while.  It works great on Metal and Plastic. The only down side to it is you have to shake the can real well or it does not cover very well. Thats the only down side. I spray inside in a cheap paint booth that is vented out side, as it does have an odor, and its very fine.

Dale