Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:18:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KS: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures  (Read 2547 times)

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
KS: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:37:45 AM »
For the RPG'ers, Hand of Glory is a line of "hot swappable" hands, so you can equip your miniature to be just like your character!

The $100 Heroic Pledge is probably best for most RPGs, but the Legendary Pledge includes a goblin miniature, demon miniature, and a few more unusual SG items.

EDIT: The Heroic Pledge is $100 for nine miniatures and over 100 hands.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/handofglory/hand-of-glory-modular-magnetic-gaming-miniatures/description

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:32:29 AM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
Re: KS: Hand of Glory: Modular Magnetic Gaming Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:04 AM »
Yow! That short video is mesmerising!

My biggest worry would be losing the extra bits. But this is certainly an ingenious system.

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:10:29 AM »
Magnets go into the arms, and steel bits into the hands, so I guess you could keep the hands organized with regular magnets!

Three more pledges to the next SG unlock!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
Wow, those hands are HUUUUUGE. $20 for a mediocre sculpt with hulk hands - no thanks. I am flabbergasted that this is doing so well, do RPG gamers have such low standards?

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »
Well, if you know any other "hot swappable" miniature lines, post 'em.

Frying pan, Flaming Hand Set, and Demon skull unlocked!

I dunno where you're getting $20 from. The $100 hero level comes with 9 adventurer models, and 110+ hands. That's less than $1 per sculpt.

Most RPG'ers I know want a miniature that best matches their character. They'll settle for a model that's of the same race, class, and gender, but these miniatures go one step further.

Also, most RPG'ers prefer function over form. At the tabletop distance, you'll see the equipment better than the hands.

Also: "We’ve decided to extend the $135 early bird to last through the weekend, so if you’re in the $140 group and feel like switching, go for it, and if you have friends you think might be interested in HoG let them know about this super secret extended early bird! Now through tomorrow (Sunday, 7/16, 11:59 ET)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:55:09 AM by ced1106 »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »

I dunno where you're getting $20 from. The $100 hero level comes with 9 adventurer models, and 110+ hands. That's less than $1 per sculpt.

Basic pledge - 1 hero plus accessories for $20. And that's not including postage.

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
Well, as said in the OP, it's the Heroic pledge that you should look at, which brings down the price to about half of that. About 7/8 of backers are looking at the $100 or higher pledge levels.

Anyway, there's a weekend EB that ends tonight, Sunday. Save a whopping five bucks.

Speaking of five bucks, that's how much shipping is estimated for this project for the US. I don't trust estimates, but that's better than the $25 shipping I've been paying on various miniature boardgame KS.

Offline mr ed

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:32:26 AM »
Neat idea...but the minis look pretty horrid.  I'm sure plenty of people will be interested in the idea though.  For me, far too ugly to consider (I also don't much care about having hands swapped on my minis).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »

Not made that way, no.  But folks have done this forever with battlemechs, terminators, space marines, etc.
If you want it, it's not hard to do.  Buying them already set would be time saver, though.

Like others I'm not a fan of the figures, but I like the idea.
For a dungeon or a small squad game, swapping hands would be pretty cool.  You could see if you're holding a torch, or a shield, and so on.
- Scott

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »

Pretty much any minis you can cut the hands off or ones that come with separate hands... I magnetised my Kingdom Death armour sets easily enough with separate swappable hands and heads using 1mm magnets and a pin vice.

Mr Ed's pic says it all, it looks like they're all wearing rubber gloves, it's not just the huge size but the weird bulky shapes of the hands too.

Online ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 07:16:22 AM »
If you want it, it's not hard to do.  Buying them already set would be time saver, though.

That's definitely it.

No inclination to cut off 110+ 28mm hands, much less *find* 110+ 28mm hands that were universally interchangeable.

GW parts are meant to be interchangeable so you can swap weapons, which is important since GW encourages hobbyists to have the weapons match the models. Given the number of parts for the KDM armor kits, the whole idea of magnetizing all the arms and bits seems to be a heck of a project, maybe after I get some experience with magnets, such as through this KS. It's pretty common to find generic fantasy armies with interchangeable parts (eg. Mantic's Orcs Army), but I'm drawing blanks for RPG adventurers who have interchangeable parts (eg. the cleric can swap the torch with the dwarf). Here's a KS with interchangeable parts, but the miniatures only came with two arms each, not 110+.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gbg/fantasy-resin-custom-miniatures-collection

Anyway, posting to say that Hand of Glory has unlocked the explosives SG, and is about 5K from the next SG.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »
Pewter doesn't seem like the best material for these miniatures. Although varnish will help a lot, I think paint chips will happen with these soon enough. And I agree with others that the poses look weird and the hands are huge.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »
In honesty first look I thought "oh, pre-painted plastic board game minis with big swap-able hands"

Glad you are finding enough people to get your product to market and financed, and wish you well.

It's an interesting application of the technique but does not appeal to me either. The sculpts, the big rubber hands, and not enough to be gained for my collection from having them

I would also agree, if these are meant to be heavily used in game, I don't think pewter is the best choice in relation to the intended functionality.

Anyway, hope the backers enjoy it, as its obviously filling a need they all have.

Offline Artemis Black

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:21:03 PM »
"proprietary rare-earth magnet system"

*laugh* What? It's a magnet in the arm with metal in the hand. What could possibly be proprietary about that? Other than also putting a magnet in the hand instead of some ferrous metal that's literally how we all do it.

I am genuinely impressed by how well this is doing, those are just not good sculpts. Well done to them.