Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cold War West German Terrain and Buildings  (Read 737 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Cold War West German Terrain and Buildings
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
I'm on a very, very, tight budget, but want to do some WWII and Cold War gaming in 1/144th scale.

Seems like an excellent, and at least for the Cold War, very underutilized scale for gaming, so thought I'd give it a go in making some buildings and roads from scratch, to go with the armored vehicles and troops I have.

Here's a quick teaser, thus far, on some small, West German, single-family houses, which are suitable from WWII - Cold War, and to the present day.  They're printed on cardstock, and yes, I have some chimneys and dormer windows for them as well.

Haven't added chimneys to these, but need to do so, and have only made one with the dormer windows, which turned out quite nice.  I'll post additional pics of them, as time permits.

Also, got carried away, and decided I wanted some small villages and towns to fight around, and/or through, so came up with a bunch of different, two-storied, half-timber building as well, which look great too, if I do say so myself.  Will post pics of them too, soon.

Bought the evergreen trees eons ago, and finally based them on thin vinyl, with a hot glue gun.  Works very well, and makes for quite robust terrain pieces.  May want to paint, texture, and/or flock some of them, and/or just throw some small ground foam shrubs and twigs on them to make them look a bit less pristine, but they'll work for now.  Some of the vinyl even has a rocky texture, which looks quite nice too, and is good for pieces near rolling hills and mountains.

Finally, cut up some gray felt, and marked them to create some paved roadways too.  I think they'll work very nicely, and are budget friendly.

In this scale, you can play Team Yankee on a 3' x 4' table.  I plan to use different rules, and a larger table, with lots of room for maneuvering, and combat - will probably go with a 6' x 12' table, at the local gaming club, when scheduling permits. 

See pics below of the aforementioned items, and a little armor to give them scale, and add interest to the images.