Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 01:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Crusades Project - 1st Arab Cavalry  (Read 4186 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: 28mm Crusades Project - 1st Arab Cavalry
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
What Arabs were involved in the Crusades?

Quite a lot fighting for the Fatimids at Ascalon (along with Seljuq Turks, Persians, and Kurds)

Online Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
Stereotypic and generically racist attitudes.

I suggest you make your own rant thread to complain about everything and let the rest of us enjoy the nice brushwork on these models.

Back to topic, really nice work on the models, I was already tempted to buy some sets and you are not making it easier for me :D
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 04:30:35 PM »
Great stuff, a lovely collection of Arabs ;) :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »
Anyway, we shouldn't hijack the thread with rants about politics. 

No we shouldn't.

As far as I know, 'Arab cavalry' is not a 'racist', 'stereotypical' or in any way pejorative label, when used to talk about cavalry that is purportedly Arabic.
The original product from Gripping Beast is called 'Arab Cavalry'.
If you have a problem with the name / description fitting the models depicted, perhaps you should take it up with them?
Please don't accuse people of 'racist attitudes' when you know nothing about them. It's offensive.
Further posts in that vein will be removed.

Thanks.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »
I haven't looked at this thread for a couple of days and was quite surprised to see that it had gone onto a second page, firstly I would like to all those who have left kind comments about my little plastic toys soldiers as well as those who have been supportive.

However to be called a racist (even with a small r) is pretty disgraceful. I really can't see anything vaguely wrong with the post. I have painted a commercially available set of figures called "Arab Cavalry" from a recognised company, "Gripping Beast" and used the title of the box set in my post.

I have found the community here on LA welcoming and knowledgeable and it's extremely disappointing to be attacked personally in such a manner, with such limited information in an argument about toy soldiers.

I have provided detailed responses to Fiercekitty explaining the different definitions of the word Arab and rather than enter into a sensible debate on the points raised and the explanations given you have chosen to start calling people racist.

Disappointed, very disappointed. Off to paint some less controversial 15mm Hannoverian SYW Cavalry.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:48:06 PM by Yarkshire Gamer »
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 07:35:51 PM »
Keep doing what you're doing, keep painting! We'd all love to see more! :)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
Please don't switch to 15mm Hannoverians. My glasses aren't that strong, I can't stand gunpwoder and those guys from Hannover, well, you know  ;D.
Seriously, though, I like what you did, especially on some shields. Great freehand lettering.
Leadhead

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »
However to be called a racist (even with a small r) is pretty disgraceful. I really can't see anything vaguely wrong with the post. I have painted a commercially available set of figures called "Arab Cavalry" from a recognised company, "Gripping Beast" and used the title of the box set in my post.

I have found the community here on LA welcoming and knowledgeable and it's extremely disappointing to be attacked personally in such a manner, with such limited information in an argument about toy soldiers.

I have provided detailed responses to Fiercekitty explaining the different definitions of the word Arab and rather than enter into a sensible debate on the points raised and the explanations given you have chosen to start calling people racist.

Disappointed, very disappointed. Off to paint some less controversial 15mm Hannoverian SYW Cavalry.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Please don't be put off by a small minded individual who doesn't represent the majority of LAFers.  In my experience the LAF is in the main a welcoming and supportive place where you'll receive encouragement and constructive feedback on your efforts.  It's a shame that a few people are spoiling it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:35:15 PM by Dr De'Ath »
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com