Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for 15mm starship floorplans?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Suggestions for 15mm starship floorplans?
« on: August 05, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »
Hello,

I'm planning a D&D game with some sci-fi elements (explanation here) and was wondering if anyone had some good suggestion for 15mm starship floorplans. I've has a cursory look around, but given the amount of stuff out there, I thought it would be best to ask for pointers.

Obviously, 28mm stuff can be shrunk in printing to fit. What I'm looking for are alien, so possibly quite baroque, interiors, with an air of dereliction in most sections.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Suggestions for 15mm starship floorplans?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
The original traveller miniatures were 15mm, and many of the floor plans produced for traveller follow roughly that scale. They might be worth a look. There are many many of them on rpgnow.com
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
Thanks! I'll have a good look through those. They might be too obviously spaceships or not weird or 'segmented' enough, but I'll have a good delve (there seem to be plenty of them). I'm actually going to be using a fair few of my Traveller 15s in the game - the Droyne as weird flying cave-dwellers or servants of the ship aliens, and various robots as automata lurking in the caverns.

I suppose what I'm thinking of is something a bit like a 15mm Space Hulk, but which would gradually reveal the shape of a ship as the exploration proceeds. I want a eureka moment when the kids realise what the "dragon" that gave Dragonfell its name actually is!

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 02:28:44 AM »
Here you are: https://woolshedwargamer.com/category/traveller-rpg/ Brian is/was a regular over on TMP & has pasted quite a number of deckplans over the years.

There was an old RPG set upon an enormous starship that functioned as a 'dungeon' - Metamorphosis Alpha.  It's based on the original D & D rules mechanisms. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphosis_Alpha It's more or less what you're proposing to do.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:33:24 AM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »
I'm working on a similar project.  Spacejacker had an interesting way of making sci if tiles.  I can't post the photo here but click on my Flickr album to see an example of what he did.  I'm in the middle of a basement Reno so I can't take a pic of my own stuff.  Needless to say his is much better anyways.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 04:51:47 AM »
From Wargame Vault stuff that I bought:

I was going to suggest GDW's Azhanti High Lightning amongst the Traveller, but it's not an 'iron dungeon crawl.' Original was supposed to be 15mm, but the scans of the maps would take fiddling to get right. DAMN big ship, with all the decks.

Actually, you could get away with most any of the regular stuff, and print at 60%, you know. I'd suspect the Skeleton Key's image simplicity would scale down better, but Fat Dragon and 0-hr stuff is darker, and perhaps more suitable to your plans.

Doug

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:30:56 AM »
A lot of the Future Armada PDF's have printable floorplans for the various ships that can be used easily...you might need to scale the print, but that's about it.

DrivethruRPG has a decent amount of ship floor plans anyway that might be worth a look.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:27:46 AM »
They did make some for the original Star Trek RPG, USS Enterprise and a Klingon D7 I think.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 01:19:41 PM »
Many thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have a good look through - it's very handy to have some names/search terms to start with.

Oldben1 - that tile looks terrific. Does he post on this forum?

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
Many thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have a good look through - it's very handy to have some names/search terms to start with.

Oldben1 - that tile looks terrific. Does he post on this forum?

Spacejacker has a seldom updated blog: http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.se/
He has a lot of content on his Instagram (@spacejacker) as well.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:06 PM »
What an amazing blog! (And what a rabbit hole to vanish down ...)

Many thanks!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
A lot of the Future Armada PDF's have printable floorplans for the various ships that can be used easily...you might need to scale the print, but that's about it.

DrivethruRPG has a decent amount of ship floor plans anyway that might be worth a look.

And that's 'O-hr' as the storekeep. However, I did notice Mr. Hobgoblin seemed to say 'other than' rescale, and Future Armada is definitely 25-28-ish.

Alas, the Skeleton Key spaceship stuff seems to have vanished.

Doug

Edit: Scratch that; Skeleton Key starship is under eFuture; apparently, the list in my library 'evaporated.'
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:50:44 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
Give me a couple of days to finish mine off.  I made mine much simpler and without all the hirst arts pieces.  It took a while but with a few terrain bits it looks pretty effective.  It will also look a lot better than 2D tiles.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
Many thanks again for all the pointers. I found exactly what I was looking for via Starjacker's blog and his Star Station Zero floorpans.

For the denizens of the ship, I have the old 15mm Asgard Orts and Mandiblexes lined up (as soon as they arrive from Alternative Armies). I plan to have them making excursions from the wreck of their ship to trade for minerals with dwarfs - thus giving the PCs an opportunity to sneak in.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 04:35:35 PM »
Oh, heck yes!

I'll be adding to my 'wishlist' soon. I'm holding off adding to my considerable library, but I want it there when my resolve fails.

Given up on saying 'if', of course.  :D

Doug