Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:41:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia - (May 2021: Dark Age Ringfort)  (Read 17036 times)

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (September 21st: Warhammer Quest Scuttlings)
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 06:13:18 PM »
Moral of the story, elk, is to not blog a good idea halfway through a squad.  Oops.  I do want to get 40 of the Epic Pinks, total, so I have enough for an Age of Sigmar warscroll.  One day.

Bloggard – I do do tutorials over at Patreon, there may be photography ones in the future!  Watch this space!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
I've just checked ebay, bloody hell they're expensive!  lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
Great painting all round. Love the scenery too.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
... Next thing you know I'll be off to a field to drink cider and watch Fairport Convention unironically ...

ouch.
poor modern period Fairport / Cropredy - so uncool it's even put down on a forum about toys  :'( lol

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
It’s Samhain, so let’s celebrate this Celtic pagan festival with a classic druid miniature.  It’s the Albion Truthsayer!  Tha a’ bàta-falbhain agam loma-làn easgannan!

Albion Truthsayers: the most predictable opponents in "Truth or Dare".

The Albion Truthsayer is a standing-stone-cold classic of a miniature from Warhammer’s Dark Shadows mini-supplement.  The 2001 campaign booklet featured rules for you army to be joined these warrior-wizards (or their arch-nemeses, the Dark Emissaries) while they fought their way across the mysterious island of Albion to thwart (or aid) Warhammer’s newest mega-villain: the Dark Master.

The Truthsayer, interfering with one of the many barrows on the Isle of Wights.

I had a lot of fun modelling the base to make it look like the boggy fenlands of Albion.  The owl (from a Wood Elf kit) is a reference the “Wings of Fate” spell that let the Truthsayer summon a flock of enchanted birds to peck at his foes.  The sculpt itself is packed full of Celtic-style details: a spiral skull carvings, gold neck torque; spiked barbarian hair; bronze triskele medallion.  As a geek of ancient trappings I get super excited about it appearing in Warhammer.

When it comes to prehistoric jewellery, Curis not only walks the walk, but torques the torque.

This miniature is one of my favourite Citadel Miniatures of all time – not least because if you clip off his basing tab and peek up the loincloth you can see the sculptor’s – Chris Fitzpatrick – signature.  I can’t think of any miniatures signed in this way since Citadel’s preslotta days.

Cheeky Albion Truthsayer upskirt shot.

Albion Skin Painting Tutorial

One of the popular requests on the Ninjabread Patreon is “how do you paint skin”?  I photographed the Truthsayer between steps so supporters can follow along and learn how to paint flesh in this style.

Become a supporter today and you’ll get access to this in depth masterclass tutorial, and not one BUT TWO guides on how to paint your power armoured Space Marines.

That’s it for today’s visit to Albion.  What’s next – perhaps the evil Truthsayer?  Or the Fenbeasts?  Or the Giants of Albion and their Druid?  Or maybe delving even further back into Albion’s past with the LE8 McDeath’s Crazed Caledonians?  Watch this space…

More minitaures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/
Painting tutorials at: http://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (November 1st: Albion Truthsayer)
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2018, 04:07:43 PM »
Stunning brushwork, and thanks for the painting guide!

I have the Albion Truthsayer, but didn't much fancy the sculpt before. Now that I see what can be done with it, I'm much more interested.  :)

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (November 1st: Albion Truthsayer)
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »
This is an amazing log. So many good stuff in here and i absolutely love your paintin style.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Vintage 1990 Silver Tower Tzaangor
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Thanks Anselm!  The Chris Fitzpatrick sculpt is immense!  All the stuff he did for GW is a painter's dream!

Cheers Breazer!

Back into Tzeentch’s Silver Tower! But this is not just any Silver Tower, this is a Silver Tower stuck in the past – when metal miniatures reigned supreme. I’ve painted six Citadel Tzaangor from 1990 – the greatest of all times. (Ha! Sly goat reference!)

Left to right: Ougoatlas, Rameses, Lambeses, Hornus, Iry-Horn and Phuroah.

These are all wonderful Bob Olley sculpts that are packed with weird and flamboyant details like the exotic head-dresses, ornate armour, and bizarre codpieces. Two of the Tzaangor in the range didn’t see release as their obscene helmets were spotted in time. (You can see the notorious unreleased versions at CCM.)

Tzaangor kidding about in the ruins of a Chaos Temple.

Tzaangor have “brightly colured or exotically patterned fur” according to Realms of Chaos, so I went for an unnatural turquoise colour. I’m unsure if the combination of bright colours and smiling anthropomorphic animal fuzz pushes them into My Little Pony territory, but hey ho! Their armour is blue and gold to give off an Egyptian-cum-Tzeentch vibe, and two have horns in alternating stripes like a pharoah’s head dress. There’s some minor weapon swaps to bring them in line with the Silver Tower game requirements, and one has a Light Acolyte sword to show they’re part of the same force. The Marauder shield with the serpent motif (thanks to Mr. Saturday for sending me them) further echoes the Light Acolytes whose staffs and belts feature a snake motif. Chaos Snakemen will have to be part of this force in the future!

A herd of bray with a bird of prey.

That’s twenty-six of the vintage Silver Tower denizens now painted (Skaven here, Acolytes here, Light Wizards here and Horrors here). Now I can convert a classic Ogre into the Ogroid Thaumathurge – watch this space!

More of my miniatures at: www.ninjabread.co.uk
Painting tutorials at: www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (March 4th: 1990 Tzaangor)
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »
You know how to paint and take pretty pics! I like!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
he sho' does.
could do it for a living ;-)

wish the bob olley stuff was more readily available / affordable.
I blow a bit hot and cold on his sculpts, but the Tzangors above are fab. Course they've had a top-notch paint-job which helps.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:46:15 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 08:13:53 AM »
Thanks Daniel!

Cheers Bloggard.  The Olley stuff is reasonably priced if you're a patient enough hunter.  It'd be well frustrating to have to get in large quantities and in a hurry though.

Q. What do you get if you cross a Chaos Centaur of Tzeentch, and a zebra?
A. A “Tzebra”.

Presenting Tzebra Doomstripe, the latest monster to swell the ranks of my vintage Warhammer collection.

This tzoological monstrosity was my entry into the “Make a Trish” competition in the Oldhammer Community. Challengers had a month to model and paint a Trish Carden miniature, and the Mistress of Monsters herself would pick a favourite.

Tzebra is not one actually one Trish Carden monster, but two mashed together. The MM94/1 Chaos Centaur Lord was a metal human torso designed to be fitted to the standard plastic Warhammer horse torso (henceforth: “horso”). But the plastic horso had spindly legs that looked wrong with the human torso’s majestically beefy barbarian arms, so I decapitated Trish’s MM83 High Elf Unicorn and used it as a replacement horso. This new unicorn part is, importantly, also saddle-free – Tzebra is a Lord of Chaos and tolerates no riders upon his horso.

To nudge Tzebra into Tzeentch’s visual territory, I swapped his barbarian broadsword for a scratch-built khopesh. His helmet plume was switched for a plastic Ork topknot, whose flowing lines better matched the new unicorn tail. Historically, these helmet plumes were made from dyed horsehair, meaning Tzebra has made a hat decoration out of his own bodyhair.

The skin was painted light blue at first (using a modified version of the Ur-Ghul recipe /url]Patreon backers have access to), and had dark blue strips added afterwards. I did a digital mockup of the colours to experiment with continuing the zebra strips onto the human elements, and also to work out if the blue and white stripes that worked in my imagination would look too “Bananas in Pyjamas” (thankfully not).

Tzebra didn’t win Trish’s competition, losing out to Jonathan Marshall’s atmospheric Albion Fenbeast. You can check out a gallery of all the entries here . Thanks to Asslessman for organising the competition, and Trish for judging and providing the prize.

Tzebra Doomstripe leading his Tzebu retinue to battle.

More tzany Tzeentch creations coming soon!

More of my miniatures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/
Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (May 22nd: Chaos Centaur of Tzeentch)
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »
Cracking  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2019, 02:07:06 PM »
Really cool!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
I like that a lot. The zebra stripes have been very well realised.

Offline randycarter

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37:59 PM »
This is really wonderful!   :-*