Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia - (May 2021: Dark Age Ringfort)  (Read 17047 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (May 22nd: Chaos Centaur of Tzeentch)
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 08:35:06 PM »
The Tzebra is fantastic. Zebra centaurs seem like such a natural fit.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2019, 09:32:52 AM »
Loving your paintwork.
Consider several of your ideas well & truly stolen.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments!  You're right, Gallahad.  I found loads art on the internet of people that've done zerbra centaurs before I could use for working out how I wanted to th tackle the transition between top hald and bottom half.

Tzeentch has many Silver Towers floating through the Mortal Realms, but the one I am building is full of throwbacks to a time when metal miniatures reigned supreme. Welcome back to my Silver Tower of lead.

Metaaaaaaaal.

The initial spark that led me on a four-year quest to reconstruct the Silver Tower game with 1990s lead miniatures was two of the tiny familiar miniatures – instantly recognisable as reimaginings of Citadel classics from days of yore. I’ve painted a complete set of modern plastic versions, and a complete set composed of 1980s/1990s analogues.

1987 Lune (left) and 2016 Pug (right).

The CH5 Lune Familiar is an adorable moon-headed mook who was reborn in plastic complete with his original moon on a stick, tintinabulous jester shoes and scowling moonface.

1987 Walking Book (left) and 2016 Blot (right).

The CH5 Walking Book Familiar was a perennial favourite of Warhammer players, popping up as a wizard’s helper in Chaos and non-Chaos armies for years. I’ve not thought of anything high concept enough to paint freehand on the pages of the plastic version, so I’ve left them blank for now. Maybe I will leave it blank forever and claim it’s an unwritten journal.

1991 Tzeeenth Familiar (left) and 2016 Tweek (right).

The small Lord of Change (Lord of Small Change?) was probably originally sculpted as a 6mm Epic Greater Demon miniature, but rolled into the CH5 Chaos Familiar range for the 1991 Citadel Catalogue Section 2. I’ve painted mine in orange and turquoise to match my 28mm Greater Demon. The new plastic version takes the mini Greater Demon vibe even further, having been written up in the background as a mischievous sprite with the delusion he’s an actual Lord of Change.

1987 The Jaw (left) and 2016 Slop (right).

The fourth and final Silver Tower familiar, Slop, is a subtly different kettle of fish to the others – inspired not by a CH5 Chaos Familiar miniature but by Mordheim’s leitmotif of mutant fish artwork or old Ian Miller illustrations. I’ve painted the plastic Slop’s the tail with a Rainbow fade to match Blot.

Familars wreaking havoc in the Lead Tower.

That’s another adversary group ready for Silver Tower. You can see Brimstone Horrors here, Light Wizards here, Light Acolytes here. Tzaangor here and Deathrunners here. Time to start work on the next of the nineties nasties.

Ninjabread out!

More miniatures at:https://www.ninjabread.co.uk
Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
Lovely classic bits of work there!

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
Splendid!

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
I am that exact type of person that plans annual holidays using the Ordance Survey maps of Ancient and Roman Britain. I spend days hiking through the remote countryside in the rain with a napsack full of boiled eggs to find the spaces prehistoric people once lived and thrived.

Me in the ruins of Brough Law Ringfort.

Fancying myself as Lord of the Ringforts, Mr. Crabb at Fogou Models offered me the very first castings of his latest terrain project in return for photos of them painted nicely. And paint them I did.

This is the basic ringfort, built from seven wall sections and one gate section. All the pieces have an interlocking brickwork design on the outer face to disguise the component joins. I don’t know how Mr. Crabb got it all to line up so flawlessly, but I suspect dark Cornish sorcery.

If that understated rectangular doorway with its stone lintel are too low key for you, there’s also a fantasy style gateway with a pair of towers flanking a bronze goblin-faced gate sculpted by the Kev Adams. Now you can have much larger things get in and out the fort – like trolls, ogres and my reference library on prehistoric and Dark Age structures.

Gandalf supervises the defence of a Dúnedain stronghold.

To accompany the ringfort, I also painted this pair of thatched buildings which can either go inside the fort as the defended structures, or act as standalone pieces. I’m going to pair the recentangular one with my Dark Age Church as a crofter’s dwelling.

But wait! There’s still more! There’s a nice pair of thatched stilted granaries, a pigsty, a well, firewood and pots that I’ve used to make a complete village.

I got a bit carried away painting freehand patterns onto some of the pots – I like to imagine them as vessels with histories of their own that come from the extensive trade networks. I also see them as a nice way of adding life to a scene, and they make for subtler representations of material wealth than the classic objective marker of a treasure chest full of gold coins.

There’s a desstroyed wall section you can use to represent a partially ruined fort, and even switch into your fort mid-game if you’re playing a siege.

Here’s a pile of Orcs pouring through it to fight the Fellowship of the Ring.

Stone buildings are pretty timeless, and with a bit of “set dressing” in the form of modern crates, here it is being used in the Napoleonic era.

95th Rifles, 2nd Battalion seizing supplies at a Portugese port.

Nicely, the doors are cross-compatible with the other Fogou offerings, so a quick switcheroo and this fort section is ready for science fiction wargames too. Thanks to everyone that’s pointed out the door looks like a Confederate flag.

Wolbane Commandos advance though ruins of Hexau Prime.

Finally, my cat (who is coincidentally named after a ringfort) has also found a great use for the piece.

So thanks to Mr. Crabb for letting me be the first to get one! If you’d like your own, they’re currently over on the Fogou Models site.

Ninjabread out!

More miniatures at:https://www.ninjabread.co.uk
Painting tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia - (May 2021: Dark Age Ringfort)
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2021, 05:41:01 AM »
That terrain looks really good!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2021, 05:55:04 AM »
Lovely work :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2021, 05:57:06 AM »
I love this thread. Magnificent!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2021, 07:05:56 AM »
A definite plus one to all the above nice comments.
I keep meaning to treat myself to one (or more) of
these lovely buildings.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:31 AM »
Oh my days - that fort is a treat and, as expected, your version is amazing.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »
Such a treat to see (including the moggy).

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »
Cracking thread.
I'd be dead if I attempted to add another fort to the collection.
From a purely personal perspective it's nice to see someone making the most of the dark age churches  modular format.
There is one subtle adaptation of the main 'Hall' that's gives you another option.
There's a detailing ridge / lip above the wooden arches on the inside. It's there to support a floor turning the main building into either a domestic barn or warehouse or Hall.Rather than a church.

That picture of the Empire army is also the inspiration for my grinding out my own Empire force. Admittedly I'll end up sculpting my own versions of some of it.( Some of the prices these pieces go for are more than cost of my first car and not far below that of my current one :D)
Definitely going to keep popping back to see what you come up with next.
Mark.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2021, 09:26:51 AM »
Great work. Sorely tempted by the ringfort, although I have no real use for it. But we’ll see...

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
Fantastic terrain! Lovely painting