Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:41:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Vice Alley Gather up the Clues AAR  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Pulp Alley Vice Alley Gather up the Clues AAR
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:17:06 AM »
Yes yet another episode of our Vice Alley Campaign!
This time it was a home grown scenario with the leagues digging up dirt on each other with the idea that someone would be sent over to the local authorities.

I have often been asked by players if the inside of buildings were fair game, but we have always just used them as cover and to define the game area. This time the clues were mainly placed inside the buildings and, courtesy of the 4ground buildings that I have, we had plenty of interiors to work with.

The adventure is 22 pages just follow the link below, sample pages provided so you can see what your getting into. ;)

https://menelduir.blogspot.ca/2017/08/pulp-alley-vice-alley-tales-from-gritty.html#more

I hope you enjoy, questions and feedback always welcome.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:38:34 PM by Menelduir »
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: Pulp Alley Vice Alley Gather up the Clues AAR
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:09:44 PM »
Great battle report!

THANKS for sharing.  :D

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:13:26 AM »
Very cool report, and a most interesting scenario.  Can you explain a little more about how the minor and major plot points worked to put the finger on one of the leaders?  Was the leader whose gang scored the fewest Victory Pts automatically the one who was fingered, or was there some other formula to determine that?
Also, how was plot point placement and deployment handled?  I'm curious, because this looks like a scenario I'd like to try in my own Vice Alley campaign.   ;)
Thanks!
rags

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:44:39 AM »
YAY! Loved it!  :-* :-*

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 04:00:27 AM »
Very cool report, and a most interesting scenario.  Can you explain a little more about how the minor and major plot points worked to put the finger on one of the leaders?  Was the leader whose gang scored the fewest Victory Pts automatically the one who was fingered, or was there some other formula to determine that?
Also, how was plot point placement and deployment handled?  I'm curious, because this looks like a scenario I'd like to try in my own Vice Alley campaign.   ;)
Thanks!
rags

Hi Rags

Sorry I have not yet responded. The challenge I have had is that we played this game some time ago, and I cannot locate my notes... :-[

On the plus side I am running out of locations to look, so I hope to find them soon, and will certainly post them when I do. I do remember that I stole, err borrowed some ideas from a mystery card game caled, Ace Detective.
Originally once a clue was 'uncovered' we were to draw a card to determine X points worth of evidence. At the end of six turns the players would be able to secretly allocate points against each others leader.

I believe in the end we used markers from Ace Detective, that had positive and negative numbers which players would secretly allocate the points as they found them, not at the end of the game. Sometimes people played negative numbers to cover up the crime for leaders of other leagues to better mess with another league, sometimes they were trying to cover themselves.

As for the deployment it was a scatter deployment much like Lost keys, only no one could start in a building even if they could be 6" away from a clue. The clues were special in that they remained behind, so someone could follow behind a pick up the same clue, but with a still with a random clue point value. In retrospect could have allowed someone to complete another challenge after they had found the clue. They could then be assumed to have pocketed the clue, and/or destroyed any additional evidence.

I kind of liked the idea that something that happened in one game could impact players in their next game in a way not covered by reward cards. For instance in Perilous Island Lady Elaine was a bonus that could be carried over from one game to the next. We never fully explored this idea, as we could also have had scenarios that gave bonuses after completing a  scenario, and not just the points gained from reward cards.

Hope this helps

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »
Thanks, Menelduir!  That gives me all I need...I really like the random evidence value idea!  This will make a neat addition to my Vice Alley campaign.
Great stuff!
rags

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »
Good to hear it helped sorry I cannot locate my full notes.

Forgot to mention that the clue chits were also colour coded, a different colour for each player, so each player could keep track of who was placing what, even though they did not know the actual value of the chit placed on them.

The magnifying glass chits on the table never moved we had a separate supply of clue chits.

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:50 PM »
The magnifying glass chits on the table never moved we had a separate supply of clue chits.

Those magnifying glass chits look real familiar, too...Arkham Horror, or Mansions of Madness?  One of the two, I'm sure.  I know I've got a bunch of them somewhere.
 lol

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:43:48 AM »
Good to hear it helped sorry I cannot locate my full notes.

Forgot to mention that the clue chits were also colour coded, a different colour for each player, so each player could keep track of who was placing what, even though they did not know the actual value of the chit placed on them.

Cool ideas for a scenario. Thanks for sharing.  ;)