Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors "Justified Ancients" Stormhost: Flagellants! 10/01/18  (Read 4300 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box

I painted a Knight Questor last year for WHQ: Silver Tower.  At some point during that process I made the decision to put together a Stormcast force.

This first batch represent a few experiments in assembly and painting.  I hope that future additions will be a little tighter.
I am pretty pleased with these all the same.  They interest me a bit more like this than the faceless golem look that Stormcast usually have.

This many figures will cover me for some Age of Sigmar: Skirmish games that I have planned for a couple of weeks time.  Combined with the terrain that I have been putting together, it should be a very Mortal Realms themed affair.

Some more to come soon I hope.  More info on my blog for any interested.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:50:40 PM by cheetor »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: Cheetors "Justified Ancients" Stormhost
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:20:04 PM »
Quality. Really like the purple-gold combo, it works beautifully without looking too shiny. And the shading/highlighting is a bit nice too  :).
Leadhead

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 12:42:51 AM »
All bound for mumu land?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 06:59:07 AM »
Amazing! Really like the purple, however I may be slightly biased there.

I think you've made the shields look terrific. I am battling my own shields a bit and I'd like to do some tear and wear on them too.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
Quality. Really like the purple-gold combo, it works beautifully without looking too shiny. And the shading/highlighting is a bit nice too  :).

Thanks Duncan.

It has a kind of lacquered look in hand that is nice on the table.

All bound for mumu land?

You bet.  "Mumuland" is located in Ghyran, where the Ancients are garrisoned.

Amazing! Really like the purple, however I may be slightly biased there.

I think you've made the shields look terrific. I am battling my own shields a bit and I'd like to do some tear and wear on them too.

Thanks DTV!

I found the shields to be a bit to large and flat to paint white over and over, but weathering them a bit is quicker and adds atmosphere.  I recommend trying it on yours. 

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:20:43 PM »
whoa... Of all the ones I've spotted across the interwebs, those are coolest thus far.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 12:34:40 AM »
Looking good.

Are they all space marine heads? I recognise the eldar and the space wolves, but the black guy and Brianne are new to me.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »
I think this is the first time I've looked at the Sigmarites and thought, 'yes, I could see myself painting some of those'. I think it's a combination of the non-gold armour, and the bare heads. Those look a hundred times better than the 'proper' heads.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
whoa... Of all the ones I've spotted across the interwebs, those are coolest thus far.

Very kind Dentatus.  I'm pleased with how they have worked out, a lot like I had imagined/hoped that they would :)

Looking good.

Are they all space marine heads? I recognise the eldar and the space wolves, but the black guy and Brianne are new to me.

Thanks hubbahubba :)

All of them are Space Marine heads bar the Eldar Guardian head (on the Knight Questor) as you noted.

As for the other heads, I can't place the sets that they have come from I'm afraid.  I picked them up in various different places and my knowledge of the modern sprues isn't sufficient I'm afraid.

I think this is the first time I've looked at the Sigmarites and thought, 'yes, I could see myself painting some of those'. I think it's a combination of the non-gold armour, and the bare heads. Those look a hundred times better than the 'proper' heads.

I have never been a fan of spending my time replicating the colour schemes on the box that the fantasy figures are supplied in.  Its a pretty surefire way to have your figures ignored I find.

As for the helmets supplied, I like aspects of them, and some of the elite troops have really rather nice headgear.  But on the whole I prefer the bare heads.

Thanks for the feedback blacksoilbill!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »
NO NO NO...you should not have done these! Now I want that cheap Age of Sigmar box with all those cool Sigmarites to paint. Because, HOT DAMN, yours are awesome. So inspiring and they make me itch to get some too. Awesome colours and effects :-*
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »
Very nice paint job on those figures. You did a good job on improving the otherwise boring stormcast, too!
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
I painted a Knight Questor last year for WHQ: Silver Tower. At some point during that process I made the decision to put together a Stormcast force.

Good decision – what a fine looking bunch!
Initially wasn't taken by the idea of power-armoured angel warriors. But the models are just fabulous. And yours offer a very cool colour scheme and some nice conversions. Well done!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
Nice brushwork, and those glowing eyes work a treat
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
NO NO NO...you should not have done these! Now I want that cheap Age of Sigmar box with all those cool Sigmarites to paint. Because, HOT DAMN, yours are awesome. So inspiring and they make me itch to get some too. Awesome colours and effects :-*

Ha!  Im happy/sad to have helped/hindered.

My gaming buddies maintain that I don't really want to paint fantasy figures.  It certainly was true until recently.  But something about the high fantasy elements of AoS appealed, so I started looking at the Stormcast differently, trying to see what it was that people seemed to dislike about them, while also trying to focus on what I actually like about them.

My mates see heavily armoured superhumans with jet packs that can teleport and drop from orbit and run around shooting things.  They may have a point.  With your cyberpunk/sci-fi leanings, maybe that could be part of what you like too Malebolgia :)

Most importantly, I'm really enjoying working on them for now.  Thanks for the kind words.

Very nice paint job on those figures. You did a good job on improving the otherwise boring stormcast, too!

Thanks **GS**!

As I mentioned above, there is a certain amount of dislike for the Stormcast, for a variety of reasons.  My attitude was to try not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.  I'm glad that the results appeal :)

Good decision – what a fine looking bunch!
Initially wasn't taken by the idea of power-armoured angel warriors. But the models are just fabulous. And yours offer a very cool colour scheme and some nice conversions. Well done!

Y'see, "armoured angel warriors" is the kind of phrase that suggests all sorts of epic tales to me.  From Greek, Roman and Norse myth through to Paradise Lost, it's the sort of thing that promises loads of fun.  Ever since I read (but never played) "Lucifers War" over a decade ago, I have wanted to paint and game in a setting like that.

It took me a little while to mentally connect the dots when the Stormcast were released (even though it seems so obvious in retrospect) but in some ways this project has been percolating for ages.

Thanks for the encouraging feedback Mad Doc!

Nice brushwork, and those glowing eyes work a treat

Thanks!  Yeah, the eyes give a otherworldly, slightly sinister look that is well suited to the avenging angel vibe I think.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
Y'see, "armoured angel warriors" is the kind of phrase that suggests
... Brazil! The Terry Gilliam film, that is  :D