Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:56:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685068
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cheap Diesel Switching Engine for 28mm. Update 9/21 Loco & Cars Scale Comp.  (Read 4478 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
So, I've been getting into HO scale railroading lately and I've come across a charming, but grossly oversized (for HO) engine that could have use for 28mm gamers.  It's a "Plymouth" Industrial switching engine.  It's fairly bulky and has a fairly large door.   

Though it evolved over time, this kind of engine was invented in 1910 and was in production for around 100 years and many are still in use today, so the range of eras in which it can be used is pretty wide.

Currently it's produced and sold by Model Power as "DDT Plymouth" and can be found for less than $30 in a regular DC version and for $70-85 as a version that can run either on DCC or can be run on regular DC with a provided remote control!  Also, it's a model that has been made for a few decades under other names including AHM, IHC and Mehano and these older versions can be found on ebay or at train shows for much less. I bought a couple a while back fo 7 bucks each ! If matched with some gondolas or flat cars (possibly with the grab irons filled off) you could have a little 1/56 industrial train that would fit on a wargame table much easier than a larger O scale train.

One other thing to note.  There are other similar Plymouths (some with the same frame and motor) that aren't as usefull for 28mm because they have smaller (slightly more HO appropriate) doors.  They can still be used, but I think the version above is the best of the batch for 28mm.

If there is interest I'll get one out and take a comparison shot with a 28mm figure.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:14:59 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Suitable cars for Cheap "28mm" Diesel Switching Engine.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 07:33:21 PM »
Reviving this thread as I've just acquired what might be the ideal rail cars to use as ore cars alongside one of these Plymouth Industrial switchers.

On the left is a fairly standard sized HO Hopper that I will not be using.  It's got enough detail and recognizability that it clearly looks HO scale and yet it's long enough that it might actually look too big next to the Plymouth.  The cars on the right are the high-side, short length Gondolas I'm going to use.  If I remove the ladders on the sides, there's almost nothing to immediately identify them as HO scale and they're small enough to look good next to the Plymouth and not take up too much space on the tabletop.

Not going to go for accuracy here.  Rather a generic little narrow gauge mining/industrial train that can be used in WWW2, PostApoc and Industrial settings.  Only problem is deciding whether to sacrifice the Santa Fe or Amtrak (neither is accurate) example that I have for this project.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:36:59 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cheap Diesel Switching Engine for 28mm. Update 9/21. Loco Scale shot.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 12:41:20 PM »
Stumbled across the loco this morning so I snapped a couple quick scale shots.l with a 29mm WGA Rumjagger I'll do the same for the cars later.

It looks even better than I remembered, especially since it is modeled on a small industrial loco. Might even be a bit big when compared to the prototype as seen here:
https://www.wwfry.org/?page_id=231

« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 01:48:46 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cheap Diesel Switching Engine for 28mm. Update 9/21 Loco Scale Comparison.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 06:22:30 PM »
Pictures with what a little research revealed to be "Bachmann HO scale ore cars". Also, it's nice to discover they're fairly affordable on ebay.

Note that I removed the side ladders from the first car. I think it looks better for 28mm this way.  Also, 25mm bases fit nicely in the bed of the car.

3 of these and a loco is almost 18", which is about as long as I'd generally want to go, but I'm going to see about picking a few more up as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:26:40 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Cheap Diesel Switching Engine for 28mm. Update 9/21 Loco & Cars Scale Comp.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 06:04:10 PM »
3 cars and a loco is long enough, but a good mine table works have a siding or two with additional cars.  So, these arrived today.

Also, I discovered the specific name for these is "27' Ore Cars".

Offline Binky

• Assistant
The loco and cars seem to work well with those 28mm scale figures.

If anyone wanted to scale the Model Power switcher up a bit, Smallbrook Studio in the UK do a kit with a larger cab to convert it into an O scale narrow gauge loco.
https://www.smallbrookstudio.uk/store/7mm-NG-Troy-Kit-to-alter-the-Model-Power-Plymouth-diesel-p240070920

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
The loco and cars seem to work well with those 28mm scale figures.

If anyone wanted to scale the Model Power switcher up a bit, Smallbrook Studio in the UK do a kit with a larger cab to convert it into an O scale narrow gauge loco.
https://www.smallbrookstudio.uk/store/7mm-NG-Troy-Kit-to-alter-the-Model-Power-Plymouth-diesel-p240070920

That's really cool!
Technically the Plymouth is already slightly large for 28mm and I'll probably stick with the body as-is, but I really like the look of the Troy.   Stock, the model power very much a little industrial loco, but the Troy looks more like a "small Locomotive" to me if that makes any sense.