Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Everlasting: Wet Palette  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
(Kickstarter) Everlasting: Wet Palette
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:10 AM »

Link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061749597/everlasting-the-best-wet-palette-for-miniature-pai?ref=user_menu

Really nice product. They put a lot of thought and effort into this one and preparations took many months. I really like it for its smart design, materials and options with the magnets. Yes, it's a luxury product and you can use old blisters, toilet paper and baking parchment. But for me this will be an excellent new tool for my hobby 8).
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: (Kickstarter) Everlasting: Wet Palette
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:56 AM »
Sorry, but that's one a very much over priced, must-not-have products I've seen in the hobby recently. With no effort you can make a similar neat and long lasting pallet for a fraction of the cost.

I can show you if you like, but I guess you've been in the hobby long enough to already know how. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:34:11 AM by Hammers »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »
Yes I can make a wet palette for a lot less, but no way as well designed, long lasting and without spending a lot of time to make it. And honestly, I'd rather spend my time painting more miniatures instead of building a tool which will be a way inferior.

So it's a luxury product yes and you pay for it. But in my current life I'd rather spend some money on good tools that make my hobby time better and more fun than save some money and build something inferior :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:38:55 AM »
Yes I can make a wet palette for a lot less, but no way as well designed, long lasting and without spending a lot of time to make it. And honestly, I'd rather spend my time painting more miniatures instead of building a tool which will be a way inferior.

So it's a luxury product yes and you pay for it. But in my current life I'd rather spend some money on good tools that make my hobby time better and more fun than save some money and build something inferior :)

I'll show you mine and you can save the money for that nice new miniature release you've been lusting for. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:40:32 AM by Hammers »

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
Sorry, but that's one a very much over priced, must-not-have products I've seen in the hobby recently. With no effort you can make a similar neat and long lasting pallet for a fraction of the cost.

I can show you if you like, but I guess you've been in the hobby long enough to already know how. :)

OK.   I'm looking for something that's about the size of the orange one, but I've never come a box anything that's airtight and thin enough.

Ideas anyone? 

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
OK.   I'm looking for something that's about the size of the orange one, but I've never come a box anything that's airtight and thin enough.

Ideas anyone? 

Yes. You know the container in which GW sell their tufts in? It is perfect. Just the right size, air and water tight, sturdy nylon plastic,
easy to wash. I use that, a cellulose sponge cloth trimmed to fit and baking paper.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:51:12 AM »
Yes. You know the container in which GW sell their tufts in? It is perfect. Just the right size, air and water tight, sturdy nylon plastic,
easy to wash. I use that, a cellulose sponge cloth trimmed to fit and baking paper.

That's almost as expensive as the Kickstarter one  :)  I'll take a look next time I'm near a GW.  

Is the GW box hinged along the bottom edge?  

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:04:26 AM by Derek H »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »
I made mine from a rectangular artist's palette 20cm x 25cm - link

I made a lid from a sheet of 0.25mm plasticard and store the whole thing inside a large freezer bag. The lid is mainly to stop the freezer bad dipping into the paint.

Not completely airtight, but keeps paint wet for weeks, so airtight enough.

Total cost was probably less than £4

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
That's almost as expensive as the Kickstarter one  :)  I'll take a look next time I'm near a GW.  

Is the GW box hinged along the bottom edge?  

Not true (they are around €10 around here) and you get the tufts as a bonus! Normally I'd agree that GW is ridiculously overpriced but I find that  their tufts is a good value product.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Not true (they are around €10 around here) and you get the tufts as a bonus! Normally I'd agree that GW is ridiculously overpriced but I find that  their tufts is a good value product.

You need to look around a bit more. 

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »
You need to look around a bit more. 

Any suggestions?

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
Silfor and Army Painter are both cheaper than that GW stuff.  Problem might be P&P if you need to  get them online. 

Army Painter can be found at some wargames shops and Silfor at some model railway shops.  I buy mine at wargames shows. 

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
Silfor and Army Painter are both cheaper than that GW stuff.  Problem might be P&P if you need to  get them online. 

Army Painter can be found at some wargames shops and Silfor at some model railway shops.  I buy mine at wargames shows. 

I buy Army Painter when I can get them but I am under the impression you do not more per buck for the GW stuff. I may be wrong there. I do prefer the look and quality of the GW tuft range (which is probably undetectable to anyone outside the hobby).

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »
I buy Army Painter when I can get them but I am under the impression you do not more per buck for the GW stuff. I may be wrong there. I do prefer the look and quality of the GW tuft range (which is probably undetectable to anyone outside the hobby).

You're absolutely right.  I was under the impression that the GW tufts were on a single side in that box, but went into Games Workshop after work today and was delighted to find out that it's a large sheet folded in half.  

The tufts are actually rather good value, there's about 200 of the things on that sheet,  and the box looks like it will do the job.  All for £9.  

Thanks for the tip.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:46:43 PM by Derek H »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 11:12:40 PM »
I am generally as surprised as you are at finding a good deal at GW. I guess I am stuck in old thought patterns.

Glad to be of help!