Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:31:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Black Powder ACW AAR #2  (Read 563 times)

Offline Youngster

• Bookworm
Black Powder ACW AAR #2
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
Played the second game in a three-game 'Glory Hallelujah' mini-campaign.

I had 2 infantry brigades (first one with 3 veteran and 2 regular regiments, second with 3 regulars and 2 raw regiments, each with a battery of Napoleons in support), and 1 cavalry brigade (3 regiments plus 2 artillery batteries).
Svend had 3 infantry brigades (each of 4 regular regiments plus a smoothbore battery); two of the brigades also had a regiment of cavalry attached.

The battlefield had a line of low hills running diagonally across the table, with light woods encroaching from each short table edge. Roads crossed the table, joining all four table edges, with a cross-roads in the centre.

I deployed my infantry across the right and centre, with my better-quality brigade on the right (as rumours abounded about a Confederate flanking force somewhere on my right). I deployed my cavalry on the left, in march columns and with guns limbered.

The battle commenced with my one surprise - immediately ordering the cavalry off the table. They failed their first attempt, but by turn 2, most were on the road (the final game would see Svend's best army against my weakest - and a strong cavalry command arriving on the flank might just be enough to balance things up).  

Svend's first attack was a probe around my right flank, but my reserve regiments double-timed onto the hill to meet the Rebs with a hail of fire.

His second attack tried to curl around the Union's open left flank, but Marcus (my deputy) managed to extend the line in time with his reserves.

The final attack formed up in the centre, but devastatingly accurate fire from the Union infantry caused too much disorder amongst the grey-clad lines.

Eventually, the Confederates had had enough. One brigade was broken, and two were on the verge of collapse. The outnumbered Union forces had survived!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:29:21 PM by Youngster »