Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690927
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Normandy Chapel and Barn - Completed  (Read 3527 times)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Normandy Chapel and Barn - Completed
« on: October 26, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »
I've started making a couple of 20mm scale buildings for Chain of Command. I wanted buildings with a smaller footprint than my 1/72 italeri buildings which have a big footprint on the table.

The first building is a chapel and my inspriation was the Chapel of St Ceneri. I'm not sure if its actually in Normandy but its a nice simple design   :)

So I started with some 5mm foamboard and model railway textured stonework sheet. I cut the baseic shape out and laminated them together. The widows are from a set of model railway buildings and although they dont look quite like chapel windows the overall shape is good. The resin door is from Gamecraft.

Next I cut thin beveled strips out of a foam (similar to blue foam but from a modelshop) to go around the windows and door frames. it pretty hard to see that in the picture.

Then I assembled it and added a roof and floor from 3mm card. I cut pieces out of the ends of the walls to make it stronger and also for the floor to make it stronger.

Onto the barn

The idea was to have a smaller barn with a stone extension, and make the barn look a bit run down. With the barn I followed a similar construction technique, but I plan to texture the walls on the main piece. I cut the windows and doors out and used thin card to edge the frames. The doors are from Gamecraft.

The barn door was made from balsa wood and card. I stuck to card foamboard and balsa for the buildings as it all glues together well with PVA.

Also with this building I made a floor from card and the roof. And I have started on the roof which is made from thin card cut into strips.

More soon.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:05:33 AM by 6mmfan »

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
Re: Normandy Chapel and Barn
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
Cracking work. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 04:19:05 PM »
I like how this is turning out! Nice work.  :)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 07:54:13 PM »
Thanks guys. I will post more photos soon as I have almost finished both buildings.

Offline JohnBoo

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
Great stuff! I need to do a few projects like this...

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 10:25:24 PM »
A small confession, I started these a couple of weeks ago so I am catching up on the progress.

Chapel

I added some buttresses(?) to the chapel as I noticed them in the photos and it breaks up the walls. These were carved from blue foam using a pen and knife. Later on I reduced the size of these as they looked too large.

Also after many nights gluing cardboard on I finished the roof. The tiles were made from a mix of strips and individual tiles (with a few to glue down again!)

More progress on the Barn. I textured the walls using acrylic caulk (sealant) and I added some details. I cut some card strips up in 5mm wide strips and folded and glued them to make the window frames and added windows from Gamecraft. The shutters and bits above the windows are spares from Italeri's 1/72 Mediterranean style buildings. And some details on and around the barn doors. 

Also I finished the roof but it looks a little too fantasy IMHO

More soon
Cheers

Offline hayeswauford

• Librarian
    • History, Hexes and Heroes
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Gorgeous project! Very nice!!!!

Do you think it looks "too fantasy" because the scale of shingles is a little too big? I like it but just curious what makes something feel this way?

Great work!

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »
Looks good to me.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:00:02 AM »
I'm onto the final details for these now. I could have started painting the buildings, but I wanted to add something more to them and I was inspired by the amazing modelling work of this guy http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/make-it-real-part-1/4083

Chapel

First I pushed a stone into the stone work  to rough it up and create some unevenness to it. Then I added some random pieces of wire and card to the building, which I saw a lot of in the link above. I reduced the sizes of the stones supports and they look much better now. Also I've seen pictures of stone buildings which have metal plate and bolts which is maybe some sort of bracing. Finally I gave the building a thin watered down wash of polyfilla mixed with caulk over the stone work and wiped off any excess. it also help fill the gaps.

Barn

I followed a similar process to the chapel and glued some random pieces onto the building. Included was a sign from an Italeri set and a ladder I think from a Hasegawa watchtower. The metal plates were card and I used some cut off brass pins for the bolts (which I forgot on the chapel). And a couple of pieces if plasticard I add above the main barn doors.

Next up, basing and painting

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »
It is coming out great! Keep up thegood job!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
Yeah - they are going to look great painted up.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »
Oh that’s a great model! It’s the details you’ve added to such a simple shape that really make it! 8)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:05:34 AM »
Lots of progress in this update as i forgot to take photos during the painting stages!

For the brick walls I wanted to try a new and hopefully more realistic technique. I painted the buildings with a slate colour and then once that was dry I went over the wall with a white paint. While the white paint was still wet, I wiped it off the highlights with a tissue,leaving the white in the cracks (to look like mortar). Some pieces I had to go over a couple of times and on some places the tissue removed some of the slate base colour. This actually helped with the effect, giving the bricks some shading and variation.

Next I washed parts of the wall with brown and green washes and then followed up with some green and brown weathering powders. Rust powders were used on the metal parts on the buildings.

Originally I wasn't going to base the buildings but I decided to go with a simple and small basing scheme. For the church I kept it basic with a small base and a ruined piece of wall. Later on I will add some gates and a couple of gravestones. For the barn I added a  wall made from foamboard, cardboard and a some Busch gate posts. Parts of the Barn base is blended into the building at the back so that the base is not to intrusive.

Thanks for looking

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 08:05:38 AM »
A great job you did there!
Especially the weathering effect on the doors, is very realistic!
Well done!

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
Spot on looks great.