Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691090
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: DevLAM '17 (UPDATE: Links to four AARs)  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: DevLAM '17
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »
Well done guys..

.are you going to make this bigger next year?

Haven't even thought about that yet, Eric. It will happen again next year though.

I always thought you'd prefer cream teas and cider in the beautiful south over there...

I am a cider drinker but in deference to my guests who are from foreign parts, we settled on drinking real ale, wine and Vagabond's Calvados! I did manage a few ciders when we went for dinner at my local pub, The Fool and Bladder at Much-Piddling.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
I did manage a few ciders when we went for dinner at my local pub, The Fool and Bladder at Much-Piddling.

Well done that man!  :D

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »
Haven't even thought about that yet, Eric. It will happen again next year though.

......I did manage a few ciders when we went for dinner at my local pub, The Fool and Bladder at Much-Piddling.

That's weird - I could have sworn we were drinking at the Fart and Forget in Windy Bottom....!

Doug

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
I could have sworn we were drinking at the Fart and Forget in Windy Bottom

Yes, I do recall having some rather bad wind later on that evening! Probably eating all that cheese! Trying to ruin Vagabond's concentration during the second game of Frostgrave!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: DevLAM '17 (UPDATE: Link to first AAR)
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »
Remember the second of the 3 Secrets to Being an OAP? Never Trust a Fart.... lol

Doug

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:11 AM »
Looks like lots of fun! Wish I could have been there.  ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 07:10:23 PM »
A Visit to Snapcase Hall

I was enjoying the late summer down in the south of France, staying with the Rothschild’s in their villa on Cap Ferrat when I received this telegram.

What ho Vagabond, what are you doing on the Bonfire night weekend, burning that bounder Fawkes or are you still enjoying the gaming tables on the Cote D’Azure STOP I am thinking of having a couple of chums around to the old pile and conducting a refined weekend of Wargaming STOP What do you think STOP The Lady Snapcase is visiting relatives and we will have the place to ourselves STOP Sir Douglas is coming with something called Luke Warm Grave, doesn’t have a snowy table he says, well which of us do at this time of year STOP I shall be doing Pulp Alley, Gothic Horror don’t you know STOP You can bring that Mabel Street Mob lot down if they can get exit visas from the States STOP Reply soonest STOP

When I told the Rothschild’s that I would be leaving on the next boat train to London and then driving down to deepest darkest Devon the following day they were bitterly disappointed, as you would expect but they quite understood that the chance to wargame in the sanctity of Snapcase Hall was an offer no insane sane man would refuse.

Lord Snapcase was a most attentive host and even had the local Constable stop the traffic in the main street outside the Hall, just so I could more easily get my Austin 7 between the gate pillars and up the long tree lined drive to park in the stable yard round the back of the main house.
Sir Douglas and myself arrived promptly at the designated time, his racing green Bentley cut quite a dash in the village, it’s a shame the aged braking system could not cope with the nasty turn by the duck pond, but we had him out of there in two shakes of a lambs tail. What’s a bit of water to a man on his calibre.
We had a quick tour of the ancestral home, the oldest central section 1650’s I believe and both the east and west wings, it only took a couple of hours, obviously avoiding the servants quarters, kitchens and other less interesting rooms.

Of note was the 2nd Library, the one with all the historical and military books 1st editions most of them, smaller than the main Library but indubitably more interesting.
The gun room collection has more Brown Bess muskets than the Royal Armouries, and the best selection of 17C German Sporting guns I have ever seen, including the Baron Munchausen’s collection in Bavaria. There were antique firearms through to light machine guns from the 2nd WW, as well as a nice collection of American revolvers and Carbines from the 19C. The shooting range took up the length of the 2nd floor of the West wing, probably only 100yds long but impressive all the same.
The heavy machine guns and artillery were apparently in storage a few miles away on the estate and we did not have the time to visit, mores the pity.
The painting and modelling room was a picture of efficiency and industry, indeed the three fellows and one young gal were painting a hard and as fast as they could, quality control was excellent although his Lordship gave them quite a wigging over the eyes, they looked good to me but to a perfectionist like Snappy they were just not up to snuff. Figures were going on to a conveyer belt down to the far end of the room where the bases were attended to, then straight onto the racks in the purpose built computer controlled storage facility which took up most of one floor in the East Wing.
This man does not have a lead mountain, it’s more like the Himalayas.

The games were played out in the main Dining Room of Snapcase Hall, where there was more space than in the Games Room or the rather cramped 30’ x 30’ Billiard Room. The dining table probably seats 20 but I could never count all the chairs, there was so much going on.
Old Scrotum - Snappy’s aged but wrinkly retainer plied us with food and alcohol at regular intervals during the two and a half days we were ensconced there, games started promptly at when ever we could get ourselves up and went on to the early hours of the morning.
You will have seen the picture of the emptied bottles from Sir Douglas 1st night but you need to imagine the rest of the bottle pile and indeed the staff had to commandeer the local undertaker and his hearse to keep up with the flow of bottles from the room.

On Saturday night the Chauffeur drove us down to the local hostelry in the Roller, the local peasantry doffed their caps as we walked in. The Restaurant had been reserved for Lord Snapcase and all the riff raff could do was gaze longingly through the window, where they stood in the pouring rain. The suckling pig was excellent, the quails eggs I thought were a little over done but everyone has different tastes, all in all a splendid meal, Missis Miggins deserves her 3 stars.

As we were leaving there was some discussion about Manorial rights with the local peasants.  Apparently it is still customary in this part of Devon that prior to their wedding night … virgins…. marriage…  Lord of the Manor…. It all got a bit complicated but Lord Snapcase seemed happy with the way the discussions went.

All joking apart I had a really good time and want to express my gratitude to the two fellows and they know who they are, for some very enjoyable gaming, lots of good food and a smidgen of alcohol as well.
Now I need to get on with my game report as his Lordship is doing so well with his.
Cheers

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »
I have tears in my eyes as I read that. You know how to have a ball chaps, that's for sure.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: DevLAM '17 (UPDATE: Link to first & second AAR)
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:06 PM »
All joking apart

I didn't spot any jokes - sounds like a fair and accurate report of the weekend as I remember it (ie hazily). lol lol lol

A splendid report, Vagabond, which reflects and complements an equally splendid weekend at the Snapcases' delightful residence. Well done.

Doug
ps - couldn't find any spelling mistakes either ;)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: DevLAM '17 (UPDATE: Link to first & second AAR)
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 06:26:18 AM »
Vagabond, old fellow,

That sounds a true and faithful recounting to me. Although I have no idea of the size of the rooms at my ancestral pile (one has servants for that sort of thing). I do remember the peasantry sending a deputation to the Hall (much tugging of forelocks and wringing of flat caps) to complain about some chappie driving a Bentley at high speed through Much-Piddling. Apparently a couple of prams were knocked over with their bawling contents still inside. Then some other chappie, apparently in an Austin 7 demanded that passing members of the Much-Piddling Women's Institute wade into the waist-deep waters of the village pond to retrieve the Bentley from the village pond! "Stuff and nonsense", I cried and set my hounds onto them.

As regards the Droit du Seigneur which you make passing reference to, it's Old Scrotum's (the wrinkled family retainer) fault really. He likes the family to maintain tradition and keeps reminding me of 'my duty'. Personally, as I said to you over the brandy and cigars, I find some of the local dumplings quite frightening and would rather be at home, feet up in front of the study fire with a gallon of claret and a couple of volumes of de Sade to hand (the old Marquis knew a thing or too)!

I, too had an absolutely spiffing time and the hospitality of Snapcase Hall is eternally at the disposal of both of you. Just send a telegram notifying your impending arrival at any time and I will have Young Buttock (the pear-shaped family chauffeur) drive down to the railway station to meet you. Pip! Pip!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:29:12 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »