Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sailing to the Ghost Archipelago - Bloggard's log ...  (Read 21963 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sailing to the Ghost Archipelago - Bloggard's log ...
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2020, 12:43:24 PM »
thanks for the comments chaps.

@Jack Hooligan:
truth be told the CD veg stands have 'gone', which means I at least don't have to worry about storing them (just poor old Mother Earth ... hmm). Don't know if you made it further into the thread, but I switched to a teddy bear fur 'throw', and putting spikes into the bottom of scenery elements, allowing them to be mounted directly on the foamboard landmasses ...
But I'm trying to refine the relatively small footprint concept a bit further - I really do want to be able to chuck a throw over a dining room table and go from there - no bloody great 6 x 4 pieces of foamboard etc.

So watch this space ... Let's just say velcro is making a comeback!  ;)

@Scatterbrains - thanks very much.
Swings and roundabouts with contrast paints - for myself, you never know how they're going to 'take' to the sculpted 'topography' of a figure; sometimes they're pretty much perfect first time, sometimes a lot of 'proper painting' titivation is necessary (e.g. drawing pooled paint 'up' folds as it dries, adding extra strokes to creases and folds etc).
As mentioned I use a white undercoat, and didn't have any luck with all this 'zenithal highlighting' business either ... so ymmv as ever.

I'm very happy with the results I've been getting as shown above - but overall it's a mishmash of paints / techniques, with the Contrast paints (and other washes and inks) at its heart.

@Bearwoodman - thanks very much. I guess the brightness of the contrast paints / inks is a bit of a marmite thing, but it works for me. Certainly helps 'em pop!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:54:07 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2020, 07:52:04 AM »
Just come across this thread. How did I miss it. Amazing work sir. An inspiration of the highest order. Have had the rules for a long time, as the setting was perfect for me, just never got to playing it.
This has definitely wetted my appetite again, thanks

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2020, 03:19:43 PM »
cheers Terryb - great setting as you say; really pleased that my efforts have helped get your GA mojo going again too.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:14:03 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
blimey, the dreaded 'red text' dormant thread warning ...

well, as this terrain may as well be used for frostgrave, or a snowily ensorcelled ghost archiplelago, think I'll keep in this thread... :

so, bit of a proof of concept, mini layout, trying to refine the textured 'throw' approach to a gaming surface / mat.

overall I still think fleecy / fake fur throws offer the best-looking and most practical compromise in terms of a low-footprint, flexible, and relatively cheap gaming mat - and as shown here, I even intend to use a white(ish) one for a snow board (!), but as with many boards / mats, a visual anomaly can be water features standing proud of ground level.

As I tend to use crushed velvet for 'water (although may be looking at aluminium foil, cruched up and then dyed), it's straight-forward enough to have that as un under-layer, and then cut and fold back the upper fleece layer as you desire...

obvious issue is the 'spoiling' of the fleece with the 'revealing' cuts (although I'm not actually removing any pieces, just folding back from slits), so it remains to be seen how practical / affordable the approach is in these terms.

If I ever do have a 'snowy' game, btw, there'll be a bit more set-dressing (I'd get some of the 'fake snow' and sprinkle it about for a start, which should help with the overall vibe, and would be adding other flocks and grits)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:59:10 AM by Bloggard »

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »
 8) looks cool!!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
8) looks cool!!!

ha ha LFF, that's deffo a compliment for the 'snowy' look

thanks as ever for the positive comment.