Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:53:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sailing to the Ghost Archipelago - Bloggard's log ...  (Read 21834 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Sailing to the Ghost Archipelago - Bloggard's log ...
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 10:15:28 PM »
Great stuff! Yep...just add him into the storyline!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »
will do Mike - looking forward to creating scenarios / campaigns to make the  most of the rpg qualities of the game ...

but we ended up having time for one game only, and went with the abandoned watchtower - as the scenery and available figs were pretty much set up for that.

2 teams of 4:

Zardoz O'Connery (heritor), Windy Mere (stormwarden), Master Bates and Esmeralda Escutcheons (crewmen)

vs

'Sir' (self-awarded) Neville Maycare (Heritor), Hannibal Magnetism (beastwarden), Juan (soon to be Juanita if the expedtion's successful) Sabaton and Stumpy Stoggins (one mustn't ask about the 'stumpy' bit).

anyhow, we really enjoyed it, although randomizing the Heritor abilities limited the effectiveness of that part of the game (we realised subsequently). The narrative element of it went really well, with a cool denoument at the watchtower, seeing 'sir' Neville making off with the spoils having let the other team do most of the work.

contrasty lighting and phone cams don't mix well, and we didn't get many good snaps, but here's a few as far as it goes:

as ingenue players we do have a few queries about the basic rules which I hope we can get answers to here in due course.
But in general it was everything we hoped it might be - and the 4 figs a side was fine for a first game.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 01:26:30 PM »
and a couple more taken after the event ...

the lovely little treasure chest comes from the seller on ebay I mentioned earlier in the thread:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/andretelfe_7/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

treasure (not clear in photo) various shinies from Bad Squiddo games.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:33 AM »
Those photos look great! Mine will also be iPhone photos until I take the plunge and by a digital SLR (hopefully Christmas).

I love the pteradon with his jaws around the figure... lol

The bridge looks great, too! I'm glad to hear that smaller games of G.A. work out well...

Mike Demana

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:53 AM »
cheers Mike.

razorbeak - poor old Stumpy had to retreat to the longboat with the first treasure token, having become even stumpier during the fray.

the last two pics were taken with my dslr, although with very mixed artificial lighting (3 different sources!).

* the bridges are the usual low price / good quality items from China / Hong Kong. Pre-painted / roped etc.

we found 4 figs a side fine for our starting game - and with the relatively dense scenery as well was no bad thing from that point of view I think, as we're not the most dextrous pair of hombres these days.

They really are a great set of rules. I hadn't really understood (not having played frostgrave) that they take the 'rpg' side of things as far as they do in the campaign context. No doubt pretty straight-foward to expand upon that oneself too (and there'll be official expansions I expect - I've pre-ordered the 'lost colossus' one [they're showing great cover art for that atm]... ).
Didn't get a chance to try anything with the additional ship-boarding rules in the latest WI, but hopefully next time.

anyhow, for now, will be continuing to give some details about my scenic-supplies in as far as they might be of interest to anyone.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:40:36 PM by Bloggard »

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »
I'll follow the thread with interest, I've already saved some pictures with terrain for future reference. The velvet is so good idea I regret buying gaming mat with sea pattern :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »
aye Kuba - same here re: printed mats - wish I 'd come across the velvet idea a little sooner!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »
been playing around with my aquarium pieces, seeing how my terrain 'works' with other set-ups, and the conclusion is that I need to make more islands, and smaller 'elevation' areas, so hope to get that all done before the New Year.

here's a staged pic from this experimentation, showing one of the Schleich critters I mentioned above. Be one heck of a 'boss' for a scenario.

will be putting up a pic of my collection of pre-painted behomeths, with character figs for scale shortly.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 09:58:56 PM »
Terrain (and dino) look awesome... :-* :o

Mike Demana

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 12:53:28 PM »
 :D agreed. dino fits great. I like no base on a big fig like that as well. they aint cheap but I may hafta...no I cant...can I? santa? lol...looks way good!!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
here's a not very brilliant pic of most of my pre-painted critturs with character figs for scale. As such not a great idea to put them in 3 rows and photograph at an angle, but best I could do at the time, so hopefully of some interest. I might get better ones up when opportunity allows.

Most are Schleich / Papo toys - couple of D&D ones I think, and otherwise 'no names' on Amazon uk.

price: given size and pre-paint quality (variable, and many would be improved by a degree of titivation - but all are acceptable at least, imo, and some a good deal better than that) I'd say they are, relatively, excellent vaule against what you'd pay for anything similar from conventional gaming miniatures sources.

Actually, the one shown previously in the thread, and the 'saurian' type in the front row have moveable jaws!
if I had any kind of internet graphics skills I should do a quick animated gif homage to Ray Harryhausen  :D

adding a pic of these snakes (Schleich I think):

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:08:10 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Ozreth

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »
Was most of this terrain purchased or created?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
Was most of this terrain purchased or created?

a mix PM, but most 'created' (the islands from insulation boards, the 'ruins' from (very) thick cork).

some aquarium pieces (temple in last game pic - rope bridges etc).

the jungle scatter stands are commercially available trees and aquarium foliage stuck in polystyrene pieces glued to CDs (both normal and small size).

I do mean to go through my bits and bobs in more detail in case of interest, as per my first post - hopefully get some more details up by the coming weekend. But if there's anything specific you'd like clarifying give me a shout.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »

this is the stuff I use for my islands etc.
from memory pretty much the cheapest insulation boards available from B&Q. 50mm thickness pictured here, but I use 25mm as well.

can't remember now what (if anything) was the difference between the uniformly dark grey and duo-tone boards.
I think the one-coloured stuff cuts that bit better with less flaking but possible there's nothing in it in reality.

bit of a fluke, but for my purposes this stuff has proved better than the 'proper' blue / pink craft-foam.
although you do have to handle it with relative care, it holds its shapes / cuts very well (again the dark grey stuff seeming better), but more to the point I found that semi-cutting the desired shape at an angle with a serrated carving-knife, and then making cuts from the edge of the board to the cut line and snapping pieces off, left a ready-made 'cliff' texture / shape.

anyhow ... shown here is my 'largest' island which together with other smaller ones will allow me to have most of a 4x4 board covered in 'land', together with some taller hills etc to start taking gameplay more into the vertical dimension (!).

look and ye shall find - nice longer ropebridges available on ebay too.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:46:09 PM by Bloggard »

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »
 8) cool stuff.