Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:04:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm buildings for 28mm figures  (Read 1366 times)

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
15mm buildings for 28mm figures
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »
Hi, looking for some advice. I want to get some 15mm napoleonic buildings for my 28mm figures, 28mm buildings looks too big for my table. I've made some paper ones as tests and I think I'm ok with the smaller scale. However, The sets I'm looking at by hovel and total battle minatures are especially made for wargames and have a reduced footprint, but are designed for 15mm figures.

(28mm hovel and  total battle minatures are too expensive so I'm hoping 15mm will do)

So will a 15mm building, that already has a reduce footprint, look too small with 28mm figures ? The paper ones I did don't have that reduce footprint.
What buildings do most people go with ?

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: 15mm buildings for 28mm figures
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 02:58:54 AM »
Check out Paper Terrain. I have 15mm figures and use 10mm buildings for the same reason, footprint. They have some villages that look quite nice. The houses have a ruined version that fits under the built one. After serious fighting, take off the built one and voila.

Here are 3 being used in a Franco-Prussian war game
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
They look great, but 15mm ->10mm is a 1/3 drop. 28mm - > 15mm is pretty much a 50% drop. I'm okay with that, its just if the already reduced footprint makes the drop even worse or not ?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:41:00 PM »
What are you trying to achieve, buildings that look like and represent single structures (for skirmish) or smaller models to reduce the overall size of BUA's?

For the former I would think 20mm, 1/72 or HO/OO scale buildings would be a better option.

I do the same as VT using 10mm buildings for my 15mm Napoleonics to get a few buildings or a complete courtyard farm on my 4" square  Volley and Bayonet BUA's. For this the reduced footprint is very useful.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
Sorry not explaining myself very well. I'm trying to get some BUA with a small foot print. 15mm paper terrain is ok size wise, but I want to buy resin 15mm reduced footprint terrain from hovel or TBM and my question is, will the fact it's got a reduced footprint make it look even smaller than normal 15mm stuff? ( by reduced footprint I mean the buildings are normal height, but not so long or wide so they take less room. I money was no expense I'd just buy the 28mm reduced footprint)

Eventually I'd like to get  hovels 15mm la haye saint, for 28mm big battles but on a small table so small foot print is important.(the 28mm version is way to big for my table)

Not bothered about skirmish games, I have 28mm buildings for that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:02:27 PM by happyhiker »

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
I suspect the 15mm games will work well since you want a representation of a BUA rather than a model where individual figures fire out of each window, etc. But I guess the only way to know for sure is to buy one and see how it looks.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:55 PM »
.....and my question is, will the fact it's got a reduced footprint make it look even smaller than normal 15mm stuff?

Ahh, OK.
Yes, the Hovels and such 15mm buildings are reduced footprint, very much so. Doors and windows and building height look OK with 15mm figures and will obviously look small next to 28mm figures.
But, they won't look any more out of place than a true scale 15mm building would. If you are happy to go with 15mm buildings then true scale or reduced footprint will not make much (if any) difference to the look of it.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »
But, they won't look any more out of place than a true scale 15mm building would.

Great. I'll order a village and see how it goes. Thank you.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:47 AM »
Yeah, see how it looks.  But I suspect you might be disappointed.  However, Hovels 20 mm range will work a charm.  I actually have a 20 mm building I will use for 15 mm.  I have many of Hovels 15 mm buildings and, honestly, I don't see them working for 28 mm.  Curious to hear what you think when you get them.  And I do think I understand your goal.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
I use 20mm continental railway buildings made by faller etc for my 28mm SYW Games. They're perfect for big battles. You can pick them up 2nd hand on eBay quite easily too.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »
Thinking about what you want to achieve I remembered seeing some 28mm V&B games where 15mm buildings were used:

http://ajs-wargaming.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Volley%20and%20Bayonet

Scroll through as not all the V&B games there are in 28mm, but most are. Is obviously wrong, but kind of works in an old school sort of way. The 15mm stone church in some of those pictures is massively "reduced footprint"

It is a great blog btw, well worth taking some time to explore.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »
Thanks. Yeah they do look a bit too small on the blog. I've ordered a villlage now, so maybe more than one building will look better. Otherwise I can always use the long distance selling rule and send them back - though the postage is nearly as much as the buildings :-(

The 2 storey buildings look better than the single story tbh. Thanks for the replies, if it works out I'll post a picture.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:06:06 AM »
I've used Hovels 15mm buildings with 54mm (!) figures and they look fine. I almost always use sub scale buildings, so they are a bit closer to the ground scale.

The main thing to watch is that the buildings are taller than the figures, or they look a bit odd.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke