Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Removing superglue from resin, how?  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
Removing superglue from resin, how?
« on: April 16, 2009, 10:39:09 AM »
Hello,

I received a tank kit yesterday and in my haste I super glued one of the white metal components on wrong  :(

I am a bit concerned that I will damage the resin or metal part if I try to pull it off and it is not in a position where i could really cut it out.

I have used nitromores paint stripper in the past to de-glue white metal, but have never tried it on resin. Does it work ok or does it dissolve resin?

So does anyone have a good way of dissolving superglue between white metal and resin with out ruining both parts?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:43:52 AM by Trysop »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Removing superglue from resin, how?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
The only time I've needed to do it I've just ran a knife/scalpal blade between the two parts. The tensile strength of superglue only applies in a direct line between the two pieces so it's fairly easy to split. Of course, this assumes the resin piece isn't really thin and you can get a blade in.

I suspect Nitromores will kill the resin. You may be better off just trying Acetone.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:01:18 PM »
I think Nitromorse will be too strong too. Acetone (nail polish remover) is a good bet but try a test area first.

Soaking in a detergent may weaken the bond? Dettol should work but agian is probably not going to be friendly to the resin.

As Dewbakuk says the glue will only be holding in a single plane so try easing from different angles, you may find it justs pings off?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Trysop

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:53:55 PM »
Hello,

cheers for the tips, I think I will raid my Girlfrined bathroom cabinet for nail polish remover and carefully give that a go.

Normally I would try just popping it off carefully with a knife, but the part I glued on wong is a fairly fine ring for one of the top turret ports which sits in a hole in the cast resin turret.

I was having a ponder and I thought that  as the turret is quite chunky and wont warp i might sit it in warm water and see if differential expansion might loosen it up a little bit first.

Thanks for the help