Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:46:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hellboy  (Read 15229 times)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
Re: Hellboy
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2018, 09:07:42 PM »
With ho much they have added to the package, making stuff bigger without need would seem a really odd decision.

I see they have better card-weight etc for stretch goals which makes total sense, but making minis bigger? That would seem really odd if true.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2018, 01:02:58 AM »
Damn, that would also be a nogo for me! Where did you read about the scale?

In the comments. I queried after they added another image with measurements including Lobster at 40mm and roger at 41mm.

Eventually they answered stating that this is a 35mm game and that the sculptor had included base height in the measurement and withdrem the image to correct it.

Now, that comment is still there and they took down said image.

But even if that is correct Lobster is still going to be around 37mm tall as the base wont be more than 3mm thick.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:37 AM »
Sounds like miscommunication rather than literally resizing the stuff. Regardless, I remain in. :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »
In the comments. I queried after they added another image with measurements including Lobster at 40mm and roger at 41mm.

Eventually they answered stating that this is a 35mm game and that the sculptor had included base height in the measurement and withdrem the image to correct it.

Now, that comment is still there and they took down said image.

But even if that is correct Lobster is still going to be around 37mm tall as the base wont be more than 3mm thick.

Well, that is indeed massive, but 35mm means from foot to eye-level; so lets not panic (yet)! I dont have my collection ready, but I remember most of the recent (i.e. from the last 10 years) models sold as 28mm are tending towards 32mm in reality.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
I'm happy with 35mm scale as it'll fit in nicely with other board game miniatures then :)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
So a couple of things:

1) 'To the eyes' is not an industry standard. Other companies still measure to the top of the head - which is by most sculptors accounts - the preferred method.

2) Mantic kindly updated the scale image on the KS:

So the average human height isn't 35mm to the top of the head or the eyes, not unless they have 4mm of forehead!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:11 PM »
Hmmm....that is rather large. Not sure whether I'm happy with it. I would have thought they aimed at the weird war collectors who mostly play with 28mm "historical" minis.

Is this maybe fitting with other superhero games (Batman)?

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 06:24:01 PM »
Might fit with Batman, but then this is a different universe and a different publisher. So it makes very little sense - IMHO.

The two things this would fit with is weird war stuff, post war, and then moderns.

So something around the 32mm mark in total height or there abouts would have made perfect sense. You could mix and match era's and even throw in the likes of Fenris Games pieces to make your own missions etc.

However, upon canceling my pledge I did have a nice exchange with Rob who expressed that they are larger to better capture the feel of the Mignola art work. And I can fully understand this considering they are using PVC.

To make characters easily recognisable without bobble-heading them, making them bigger is a good solution. Like I say, no ill feeling, just not for me if it's a complete standalone game due to scale.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:26:41 PM by mcfonz »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
Well, for me Batman and Hellboy are very close to each other..there are even crossovers and I like to use models also for tabletops. So I’ll keep my pledge and maybe use this as a poorly constructed reason why I must collect some of the shiny weird war stuff in larger scales... lol

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »
I wonder how these would fit with the DUST minis? Seems like a good opportunity for crossover and about the right scale?

One thing that’s a bit annoying is having to pay for both the plastic minis and then the resin on top.  It would be great if you could pick one or the other.  Like maybe a resin upgrade option for a bit less. Anyone have a sense as to whether or not the resin will really be all that much better, or is this just an upgrade gimmick?  I suppose I will just upgrade the main characters and stick with the plastic for the rest if I dive in.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
IMO just a gimmick, the Hellboy minis are the same quality as the Walking Dead minis which are really good!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
Regarding size and what minis might fit: HeroClix and HorrorClix humans tend to be quite big and once repainted often don't look all that horrible. Admittedly not all are great, but most are at least servicable.
Quickly measured some and the Arkham Asylum Amanda Waller is roughly 33mm in height, Intergang Underboss is just shy off 37mm,  Skeletal Maiden (a ghost/ banshee style mini) is 43mm.
sanity is for cowards

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »
DUST and Clix are two excellent options with a lot of shiny stuff, like Captain America cheaply available at ebay. Thanks guys!

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »

I've a similar gripe, saw the minis at Salute & they are very nice indeed, but way too big for inclusion in any of my other 28mm gaming (for my taste at any rate). Not being able to use the minis elsewhere puts me off the KS, though if the game turns out to be good in its own right I'll happily shell out once it's released.
 It is possible however that they may not look too ridiculous compared with Dust minis (I still think they're bigger, just not so noticeably so) so inclusion in games using those might be possible.

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2018, 08:46:43 AM »
Hellboy fanboy, I had to ... whatever the mini sizes ... whatever the rules ... I had to